What's new

A Wordy Review of Three Popular Scuttles

This topic and your remarkably competent and informative review are welcome news to me, a relative newcomer, and still a learner in many respects. One thing I've learned is that I don't appreciate a cold face-full of lather, no matter how lathery it is. Your information is exactly what I needed to know. The DB just earned a place at the top of my "serious" list. Many thanks, and best regards!

I've read this a couple of times now. I'm very interested in a scuttle. I live in Northern Japan. In winter despite running the heat it stays fairly cool in my bathroom. I think this could be a great fix for keeping a hot lather.

Thanks for a great review!

Great thread!!

I have both the GT and a Schwarzweisskeramik scuttle. I use the latter almost always, the GT holds brushes...

I just purchased a Dirty Bird Brush Scuttle (not to be confused with the Shaving Scuttle) based on the excellent reviews in this thread. Thanks so much for all the information.

The Brush Scuttle (2 piece design) is just a place to park your lather-filled brush. The "bowl" isn't large enough to lather in, but most of the bowl should touch most of the brush. I'm hoping this will be the ultimate design for keeping lather warm. The "bowl" is only a little larger than my brush (Shavemac 501).

I have a bowl I lather in, so I didn't feel I needed the Shaving Scuttle's extra room in the bowl for creating lather (one piece design but can be special ordered as 2 pieces). Another consideration for me was price. Living in the US, the Dirty Bird Brush Scuttle was the most economical option I could find.

I'll post a quick performance review after I give the Brush Scuttle a whirl.

-Andy

Last edited:
Sorry to bring a post up from the past but I was a disappointed Georgetown Scuttle owner. I purchased a Georgetown without much research and wanted to buy "local" so I went GTP. I was happy but not thrilled by any means and thought scuttles were overrated. I read this post and instantly purchased a Dirty Bird Scuttle due to bowl lathering ability. I just received it and I freaking love this thing!!!! My new name for it is the LAVA POT because this baby stays HOT!! Do yourself a favor and get one fast!:w00t::biggrin:

I concur in what Beaver has said about the GTP vs. the Dirty Bird shaving scuttle and can expand some.I researched the three brands.

The Georgetown Scuttle is a machine molded product .They no longer do hand thrown stoneware as do Sara and Julie.
Sara's Moss line products are still fine Canadian hand made stoneware but their Moss Scuttle is not designed to make lather.

Dirty Bird products are hand thrown and shaped on the potters wheel. I support U.S. cottage handcrafts like Julie's Dirty Bird Pottery so I ordered a shaving scuttle, a shaving mug and a lather bowl as a three piece set for myself.

Soaps or creams. I'm on top of it now.

Last edited:
Dirty Bird products are hand thrown and shaped on the potters wheel. I support U.S. cottage handcrafts like Julie's

Amen to the human factor! I "know" who made my scuttle because she took time to go through options, told me she enjoyed throwing them (on the wheel), that I won't break it by putting boiling water and so on. That has greatly added to its value for me.

Jim

thanks for the review, I really wish the Georgetown had fared better as I really liked the Hamada & Persimmon design and was about to pull the trigger on getting it, I may have to go with the Dirty Bird though since I dont really want to pay what the nice Moss scuttle is commanding (single income living alone :( bye-bye $$$$)

Personally, getting a warm lather aesthetics and color are what matter to me and I really liked the Hamada & PErsimmon design for the contrasting going on in the design.

thanks for the review, I really wish the Georgetown had fared better as I really liked the Hamada & Persimmon design and was about to pull the trigger on getting it, I may have to go with the Dirty Bird though since I dont really want to pay what the nice Moss scuttle is commanding (single income living alone :( bye-bye $$$$)

Personally, getting a warm lather aesthetics and color are what matter to me and I really liked the Hamada & PErsimmon design for the contrasting going on in the design.

there is yet another new version since this review of the Georgetown scuttle the new version is suppose to hold more water thus should hold heat better, do a search as the member who got it recently even posted comparison pics

there is yet another new version since this review of the Georgetown scuttle the new version is suppose to hold more water thus should hold heat better, do a search as the member who got it recently even posted comparison pics

Thanks, I remember seeing the talk about that G4 Georgetown. I'll go look for it right now :w00t:

For anyone else curious about the new Georgetown scuttle, here is a link http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=73650&highlight=Georgetown&page=2

I saw people discussing whether they are still sending the 3G out with orders or the new ones. I just sent an e-mail to them inquiring just that to double-check before I break down and spend the money.

I got a reply later yesterday afternoon concerning whether they are sending the new versions out and they replied that they are indeed sending out the new version on all new orders.

Last edited:
What an excellent job of providing comparisons, Stu. I have a "Moss" and enjoy the heck out of it. The DB sounds like my kind of quality also. I'm in to that quality stuff... :biggrin:

Has anyone ordered the double size version of the DirtyBird?

I thought about the double size, but was concerned that the 44 oz tank was overkill. I talked to Julie about it and she told me that she also made one that was 50% larger than the small and that is what I ordered tonight. This one is not on her web page.

I really wanted to be sure that I could build lather in it, but I hope I did not give up too muck on the heat transfer from the loss of contact with the brush.

Up to now, I have been preheating a bowl and then putting it into the sink. I hope this is really better.

I'm presently in the market for a small scuttle for bowl lathering and I'm looking at the Dirty Bird shaving scuttle and noticed that its one piece construction. I'm concerned that since I like to hold my lather bowl while making lather, that water from inside the scuttle would fly out. Does anyone know of a scuttle that would allow me to make lather in the bowl and then place the lathering bowl in the water container to keep everything warm while I shave? I only do 2 passes (WTG & XTG) and touchup, so I do not have to keep lather warm for more than 10-15 minutes. I presently use a rice bowl to lather in and then place in the sink with warm water to keep warm. Suggestions always appreciated.

I'm presently in the market for a small scuttle for bowl lathering and I'm looking at the Dirty Bird shaving scuttle and noticed that its one piece construction. I'm concerned that since I like to hold my lather bowl while making lather, that water from inside the scuttle would fly out. Does anyone know of a scuttle that would allow me to make lather in the bowl and then place the lathering bowl in the water container to keep everything warm while I shave? I only do 2 passes (WTG & XTG) and touchup, so I do not have to keep lather warm for more than 10-15 minutes. I presently use a rice bowl to lather in and then place in the sink with warm water to keep warm. Suggestions always appreciated.

Julie will make it in a 2-Piece design for you. Just ask. She's great to deal with.

I have a Moss scuttle, and while it's a really nice piece of pottery and looks great in the bathroom, I'm considering selling it.

Why? It either breaks down the lather between passes (too hot), or it's not hot enough to keep the lather warm. Even when the lather is hot, it only stays that way for a few seconds on the face.

It's not even big enough to lather in, and it's the Large version.

I've found it to be a waste of time, to be honest!

thanks a lot for that review bud that helped me out a lot. all three cost a pretty good penny, i just wanted to know which one i was going to get my best moneys worth and i believe the dirty bird is the one for me. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom