What's new

A visit to Sara Bonnyman Pottery

A year ago, I discovered scuttles. I ordered a small Moss scuttle from Sarah Bonnyman. Although it was expensive, partly due to the cost to ship it from Canada to California, I loved (and still love) the scuttle for its looks and its function. Fast forward one year: After 34 years teaching elementary school, I retired last month. To celebrate, my wife and I drove across the continent to Nova Scotia, from which my grandfather emigrated. Our first stop was a little village called Tatamagouche. When we checked into a campground, I was amazed to see a brochure for Sara Pottery in that same village!

Needless to say, we visited Sara's studio the next morning. Unfortunately, she was away at a festival. But her assistant, Ledora, was there. We were amazed at the vast array of pottery products available. I headed straight for the shaving products, of course. I picked up a bowl to match my Moss scuttle. We also found lovely coffee mugs for ourselves and for gifts. I didn't set out to find Sara's studios that day, but I'm sure glad serendipity led us there!

Attachments

• $IMG_3764.jpg
    $IMG_3764.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 137
  • $IMG_3765.jpg
    $IMG_3765.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 137
  • $IMG_3766.jpg
    $IMG_3766.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 135
  • $IMG_3768.jpg
    $IMG_3768.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 135
  • $IMG_0004_2.jpg
    $IMG_0004_2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Thank you for posting, I always enjoy these type post. Congratulations on your retirement!

Thanks, Mike. We are really enjoying our trip. Today, we are touring Cape Breton Island. We just had a delicious breakfast and a nice talk with friendly folks at the Acadian Hall in Chéticamp, Nova Scotia. We are camping in Baddeck, the town where Alexander Graham Bell lived.

No chance to use the new shaving bowl, yet. It has been easier while traveling to face lather with a shave stick.

Wow, cool coincidence! My wife has family on the east coast, and a trip there in the fall will probably swing me near her studio! I have a Moss scuttle on my short list. Enjoy Nova Scotia!

Thank you for your service to teaching. Very few professions leave such a mark on us. I still remember all my grade school & high school teachers name yet people I meet five minutes ago I already forgot. Lol. Congrats on a well deserved retirement. Thank you for the pics! One day I wish to make it over there too.

Awesome post and great photos. Reminds me of being a kid. My father is from Cape Breton and we lived in Halifax/ Dartmouth for a few years.

If you go down through Maine, stop into Georgetown pottery too.

They are on Georgetown Island in Maine

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Geor...,+Georgetown,+Sagadahoc,+Maine+04548&t=m&z=11

They have other shops in Woolrich and Freeport Maine but the one on route 127 on the island is their original shop and where most of the folks I have dealt with are located

Mick, thanks for the tip and the info! We were already thinking of heading into Maine next; this may seal the deal!

Great post! I got my small Moss scuttle in 2009 and it is my go to scuttle. I spent a week in Nova Scotia many years ago, and loved it!

Top Bottom