What's new

My lathering technique with Italian soft soaps

Its impressive how it works. Try with any soap you cant lather at all and... boom.

Your neighbours will come to shave their faces too.

I suggest to add the word King in front of Marco`s name.

I recently acquired my first tub of RR P-160 and immediately went to work in the kitchen practicing this lathering method with an Omega Pro49. It was like...
proxy.php

Thanks for passing on the old ways, Marco. Works wonderfully with my Proraso soaps, too. The quality of my shaves has increased in direct proportion to the ridiculous amounts of luxurious lather I'm whipping up these days.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Its impressive how it works. Try with any soap you cant lather at all and... boom.

Your neighbours will come to shave their faces too.

I suggest to add the word King in front of Marco`s name.

You, my friend, are really too kind.

"King if front of Marco's name"? Oh, no... I'd say humble servant is much more appropriate.

Thank you.

You, my friend, are really too kind.

"King if front of Marco's name"? Oh, no... I'd say humble servant is much more appropriate.

Thank you.
Perhaps you would at least allow "Maestro" as a way for us to show our respect? Your humility is endearing, but you remain as I've said, the reason I joined this forum.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Perhaps you would at least allow "Maestro" as a way for us to show our respect? Your humility is endearing, but you remain as I've said, the reason I joined this forum.

Dear Uncas,

Your words are touching and, although I sincerely think I'm not deserving any big appellative or title, I want to kindly thank you.

And thanks to all the other great Gentlemen who daily contribute in making B&B a so special place.

It is a special place, I agree.

But it is not only that. To share with many people all over the world such great technique or other information you know, is truly kind and helpful.

Even a man who starts DE shaving now,is capable to make a great lather and this because of Marco.

I have learned a lot from Marcos posts and threads, so again I want to thank him for his presence here.

That being said, I will make right now a Marcos method with my proraso red soap,enough for 5 or more passes with dense,creamy,slicky lather.

One question. With this method, isnt more wise to use a bowl instead of face lathering? Because where will end such great amount of soap? The brush handle will be fully covered.

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
It is a special place, I agree.

But it is not only that. To share with many people all over the world such great technique or other information you know, is truly kind and helpful.

Even a man who starts DE shaving now,is capable to make a great lather and this because of Marco.

I have learned a lot from Marcos posts and threads, so again I want to thank him for his presence here.

That being said, I will make right now a Marcos method with my proraso red soap,enough for 5 or more passes with dense,creamy,slicky lather.

One question. With this method, isnt more wise to use a bowl instead of face lathering? Because where will end such great amount of soap? The brush handle will be fully covered.

Randy, the Italian Master Barbers' technique is perfectly suitable to bowl lathering, too. If you feel more comfortable by using a bowl, then proceed in that way. My firm conviction is that when you master the technique and really know what you are doing, you will be fine regardless of face or bowl/mug method.
If you desire to get the bowl route, my suggestion for you is to use a scuttle. There is nothing better than having mounds of luxurious lather that is kept hot during the whole shave!

Ciao @Marco

How about face lathering with a boar brush and a shaving cream like Proraso tube? Any Italian barber tip or suggestion on the same topic?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Ciao @Marco

How about face lathering with a boar brush and a shaving cream like Proraso tube? Any Italian barber tip or suggestion on the same topic?

Hello Sir,

A soft shaving cream, because of its different consistency and texture due to a much higher water content, requires a different approach.

I suggest face lathering soft creams with a moderately wet brush. You can soak the brush in hot water while you prep and gently squeeze the knot at its base using two fingers. If the knot is on the small side and not too dense the brush can be kept half loaded with water, if it is large and extra dense it can be squeezed entirely. This is something you will learn by yourself with time and experience.

Also, the Proraso soft creams you mentioned are very easy to lather up properly because rather forgiving in the water/cream ratio. Unquestionably, a great starting point for a novice.

Here at your disposal for any further question. :001_smile

@Marco An almond size quantity of cream and a small boar brush is it capable of produce creamy lather for 4 passes or needs more product and more water?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
@Marco An almond size quantity of cream and a small boar brush is it capable of produce creamy lather for 4 passes or needs more product and more water?

Sir, for 4 passes I'd use a larger brush (at least with 23mm knot) and consider a walnut size quantity of cream.

Gentlemen, I'm pleased to report that my first attempt using this method was a success!

I've used creams since I took up wet shaving in 2006, and only recently decided to try soaps in search of better scents.

I had been using the dry method to lather my soap. It was going OK, but it took a lot of time and I was wearing my arm out with all the whipping and stirring.

I gave the Marco method a try this morning, using my tub of Soap Commander Love, AP Shave Co 30mm tuxedo synthetic brush, and my deep West Coast Shaving mug.

It was odd loading the soap with no added pressure at the start. For a minute it looked like I was just stirring a milky pool on top of the soap, but then I started to see some bubbles foam and build, which began spilling over the sides.

I poured the liquid into the mug and started frothing it up. I didn't need to add water, and after a few minutes I had a mug and brush filled with a great thick lather. Cool!

I do a 2-pass on my neck and head, with some touch-ups. I need a lot of lather, which is why I got the big 30mm brush. Previous attempts gave me a lot of thin lather, or a little bit of good lather. Clearly my water/soap ratio was wrong, but it was taking too long to figure it out using the "add a little bit of water at a time, then stir" method.

This method delivers! It saved me 10 minutes over the dry method, and I got better lather to boot.

Nice job. I'll have to try this because my arm gets achy as well. Lol

Only problem is that I scoop and load in a separate bowl. So I'll probably have to scoop a bit more next time.

Not knocking this method but it seems very messy. I prefer a dry load and it seems to work well for Italian soaps too.

Looks like this method has really helped some have better lather though, so that’s great.

Top Bottom