What's new

My Guess... 3017

After years in this thread, I am finally about to the Haslinger Schafmilch soap based upon the recommendations here. I believe the Sage gets pretty high marks as well.

As JG mentions, the Haslinger Schafmilch gets high marks- and for good reason. It is a phenomenal soap. The scent favors that of hotel bar soap, but the performance is spectacular.

Thanks for the replies. I guess the Haslinger Schafmilch will be on the purchase list. It's funny, I was perfectly happy with my cheap Proraso, Razorock & Arko priced soaps/creams until I read about all the love for the above mentioned brands. I'm looking at the following acquisitions:

Haslinger Schafmilch Shaving Soap with Sheep Milk and Lanolin
Tabac Original Shaving Soap Refill
Speick Shaving Soap Stick
Valobra Sapone Per Barba Hard Shave Stick
D.R. Harris Marlborough Shaving Soap Refill
Gold Dachs Shaving Soap 60g, Classic
Institut Karite Shaving Soap
Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap Refill
D.R. Harris Arlington Shaving Soap Refill

Should any of these be removed for lack of performance?

And welcome aboard. :thumbup1:

Thanks. In the spirit of this thread I'm going to finish the tub of Proraso green that I started so many months ago. I started wet shaving ~ Christmas (about 8 months from this post) but not daily. It's been more like 3-4 days per shave.

Last edited:
I read this thread from page one early this year. It's funny, when you read it that way, soaps are dropping every fifteen minutes, then when you get caught up and read in real time you go through a time warp and soaps take a long time to kill.
Yeah, I think it will be quite disappointing once I catch up to 'real time.'

Maybe this thread should be re-titled to a soap opera "As the brush turns"... Tune in tomorrow when Jim gets out the turbo soap killing brush to dominate that puck and Bruce says "load it like you hate it"...[cue music and mention the sponsor here]....
That was hilarious!

Haslinger Schafmilch is an amazing soap and one I wish I had tried earlier.

It is ultra slick, easy to lather and the scent is mild and non-offensive.

The only thing keeping it from being the perfect soap is the scent is just kind of soapy neutral or "meh" and it can't take scuttle heat, which is a bonus for soaps up here in Canada.

To he fair, the last two soaps I have 3017'd or are using, RR P.160 and Vitos Super Extra, aren't too shabby.

The lathers are just as creamy, just as easy to reach and have better scents and hold up to heat. They may lack a bit in post shave feel and slickness, but not by much and not enough for me to even remember by how much. Its likely more in my head and from being influenced by knowing there was lanolin in the Haslinger.

I think many people here are forum, brand and ingredient influenced and probably couldn't tell the difference between many of these top tier products if challenged in a blind shave test. Many of us could, but the ones who are jumping from soap to soap in rotation and not 3017ing them, likely couldn't. Heck, I have a hard time remembering Haslinger and how it directly compared to the Vitos I am currently using.
So, are you second guessing your recommendation of Haslinger Schafmilch, or just thinking out loud?

brucered

System Generated
So, are you second guessing your recommendation of Haslinger Schafmilch, or just thinking out loud?
Just thinking out loud.

It is a phenomenal performer with a mild soapy scent. Top tier without doubt, but can't be used in my brush or bowl scuttle with any heat or it breaks down. I also prefer the scents of other soaps but was not offended by Haslinger and it is mild.

Last edited:
It blows me away to see you guys getting in excess of 200 shaves from your hard soaps. Last year, I went through an entire puck of DRH Marlborough soap in about 31 days or so. I wasn't trying to conserve it, I have hard water, and it turned out DRH wouldn't give me a good lather unless I loaded about a minute on the soap.
I think I got 3 months out of my puck of Arlington....

Crud. Think I'm going to end August with one shave of NB left. Do I use it, or save it until Speicktember (and potentially Razorocktober) is over?

XXX is gone from my stash. The last three shaves broke me out something horrible. I'm not sure why? I eliminated all other factors, it was the soap.

XX is on tap next.

brucered

System Generated
XXX is gone from my stash. The last three shaves broke me out something horrible. I'm not sure why? I eliminated all other factors, it was the soap.

XX is on tap next.
Was that the new XXX-Tallow?

Hmmmmm, the original XXX/AdP didn't agree with me and am hoping this one does. Not that I am a huge fan of the scent, so it won't devistate me if it does.

I broke through to the bottom of the B&M Fougere Aromatique vegan earlier this week. A week or so of good shaves left. The scent is really holding strong all the way through. I need to find something to use for a few weeks after the B&M is gone and before I start on SCS Pumpkin on Oct 1.

I have a couple partial tins of Mikes. 1 is Peppermint and the other is Barbershop. I will probably pick one of those and see if I can 3017 it before Oct 1.

Two months with The Fat. July 01-Aug 31. Getting boring, I tell ya. Looks like at least another three weeks with it. The Fat certainly gives you your money's worth.

Wow...at the end of the tub too!

I wonder what or how that happens?

Wish I had a clue? There really only was one or two shaves left in it, so no great loss.

XX today with all variables removed. Bowl lathered and used a cart to make sure it's not a issue of grinding it in to my pores. No blotching that I can see.

If it works out this tub should take me to December.

Killed a sample of B&M Roam last week on vacation, but its back to the Musgo grind. Good Musgo shave this morning though. Kind of tired of the oakmoss scent though. Really unfortunate since I thought it would be right up my alley. I'm really looking forward to the other three scents though, especially if I keep nailing the sweet spot for this cream.

20140727-20140819 - Taylor of Old Bond Street - Mr. Taylor (1/4 a tub)
20140820-XXXXXXXX - Musgo Real - Oak Moss
20140825-20140831 - Barrister & Mann - Roam (Sample)

NB Blossomwood is toast. I recommend it, but I didn't like the ocean kelp feel to it on the skin. Based on that it won't be replaced.

Next up is Speick cream for the month; let's see if I can destroy 1/2 tube in a month.

Top Bottom