What's new

My Guess... 3017

Same soap, every day, no rotating. One and done.

Once I used up my soap stash a few years ago, I limit myself to the one soap/cream I am currently using and I purchase the next one when the current one is half done or more.

Occasionally, I'll pull out a special soap for a bday, father's day or Christmas shave. I keep LaToja Manantiales on hand for that.

I have no soap stash, no backlog of soaps, no partially used soaps. Just a couple out of production ones that I don't plan on 3017ing (La Toja, 1 puck of Haslinger Sheep, a small brick of RR Christmas in Tuscany).
I'm down to just ARKO. Suits me fine.

Making progress..:)

IMG-3873_DSC_3656.JPG

I 3017 one soap at a time. Not because I want to get rid of the soap I have but because I've found I get better shaves using one soap at a time. As a fan of mostly hard pucks I find that keeping it properly hydrated makes for the best performance. The best way to keep a puck hydrated is to use it every day.

It took me a number of years to find the products that work best for me. My favorite soaps are now unattainable so I bought them in bulk while I still could and vacuum sealed them. I probably have...I dunno....10 years worth(?). But that's fine, I have the room to store them out of sight and out of mind. When I use up a puck I open up its replacement and away I go with more superb shaves. No surprises, no drama. In fact I'll be a bit disappointed when the stash is gone because I'll have to go through the journey of finding replacements.

Thats my 3017 story and I'm sticking to it.

brucered

System Generated
I 3017 one soap at a time. Not because I want to get rid of the soap I have but because I've found I get better shaves using one soap at a time. As a fan of mostly hard pucks I find that keeping it properly hydrated makes for the best performance. The best way to keep a puck hydrated is to use it every day.

It took me a number of years to find the products that work best for me. My favorite soaps are now unattainable so I bought them in bulk while I still could and vacuum sealed them. I probably have...I dunno....10 years worth(?). But that's fine, I have the room to store them out of sight and out of mind. When I use up a puck I open up its replacement and away I go with more superb shaves. No surprises, no drama. In fact I'll be a bit disappointed when the stash is gone because I'll have to go through the journey of finding replacements.

Thats my 3017 story and I'm sticking to it.
I'm guessing your 10y stash is Haslinger Tallow :thumbsup:

How do you find the reformulation in comparison....if you've tried it?

I'm guessing your 10y stash is Haslinger Tallow :thumbsup:

How do you find the reformulation in comparison....if you've tried it?

Absolutely! Well, mostly Haslinger tallow. I do have a fair amount of Valobra hard pucks in various incarnations too. I also have a partial tub of MdC that may be my next victim as its the only partial I have on hand.

I 3017'nd a couple non-tallow pucks of Haslinger and found it to be every bit as good as the tallow version. If I didnt have the stash of tallow Haslinger that I do I'd happily use the current version of Haslinger. It is excellent.

Cade is going well. Close shaves with fantastic post shave feel. Enjoying the L'Occitane Aluminum Cade shaving soap bowl more than expected. Fits the hand nicely while loading. Good design and solid build quality. Well into the second week with the vintage Wilkinson blade.
I have a vintage Cade puck as well. Saving that one. Have you used the Cade flying saucer dish with any other soaps?

My current stash consists of decent soaps that are available and several kinds of Unobtainium (tallow first Blenheim Bouquet!). My plan is to 3017 the available and boring soaps, leaving the Unobtainium to dip into over time. I refuse to make the Manantiales mistake again.

La Toja had a limited edition run of a large soap in the cork-topped container pictured above. There are good pictures here. Not sure if the puck was any different than the stick except in terms of packaging and form factor.
I had managed to nab one of these and in the course of my 3017, proceeded to start and finish the soap. When I started it, we already knew they weren’t making anymore, but I plowed ahead with it anyway. After all, it was just soap.

But it wasn’t. That stuff was special and I should have milked it for all it was worth. So I have some Unobtainium soaps that are truly special (the Pen’s Blenheim Bouquet, tallow AOS Lavender, Irisch Moos, Hershey’s Cocoa Butter), which will be judiciously used until they are done.

Does anyone else here wash their face with shave soap as a way of using more per day, or is that cheating? I usually shower and shave in the morning, but at night I’ve taken to doing a quick palm lather and washing my face usually with something lightly scented like Mike’s Orange, Cedarwood, and Black Pepper.

(BTW, I’ve been lurking on this thread for a bit. I love the whole concept of 3017. Not sure I’m quite ready to commit to it fully yet but maybe one day...)

Last edited:

brucered

System Generated
Does anyone else here wash their face with shave soap as a way of using more per day, or is that cheating? I usually shower and shave in the morning, but at night I’ve taken to doing a quick palm lather and washing my face usually with something lightly scented like Mike’s Orange, Cedarwood, and Black Pepper.

(BTW, I’ve been lurking on this thread for a bit. I love the whole concept of 3017. Not sure I’m quite ready to commit to it fully yet but maybe one day...)
Nope.

Unless it's a dud lathering soap, then I use it in the shower as a pre-shave face wash.

No, to me that is cheating. I went back from shaving 2 times a day to one time, and from a large brush to a small brush. So I would not use too much soap ;-)

Last edited:

You make your own rules here. Do whatever makes you happy.

I do. I use a have a puck of modern Williams in the shower to shave my neck during a shower. I ran out of face wash and used the Williams. It worked well, so I didn't buy a other face wash. I can't get modern Williams to lather with my hard water. I figure using it as a face wash is better than trashing it.

Top Bottom