What's new

My Guess... 3017

Earlier this year I observed I had many soaps that were in my rotation and were rarely used. I decided to stop ordering new soaps until I ran through my supply of partially or never used ones. So far this year I have finished the following soaps:
  • AoS Lavender (tallow formula)
  • Tabac
  • PAA Big Shave S West (CK soap)
  • Haslinger Coconut (tallow formula)
  • Lakewood Smokeberry (generous sample)
  • Grooming Dept. Mallard Mallard RC
  • Grooming Dept. After the Fire

That's 7 kills so far this year?! Today is only the 140th day of the year, so if you are shaving only once per day, that must mean some of those partials were pretty small....

Ive now had a further couple of shaves with the TFS Mandarino. You may recall I reported id had a couple of excellent shaves months ago when i acquired it and was rotating round the soaps, but my first "OK, I'm going to use you to the end" 3017 shave was a recent disappointment.

Well the last two shaves have been superb. Especially the second. The soap is very soft, almost like putty. The trick seems to be to use minimal water and only add literally a couple drops on a couple of occasions. It also wants a longer whipping time than its predecessor soap. With my relative inexperience in the hobby, it reflects the benefit of getting to know a soap over several uses rather than rotating around. That said, as ever, each to his own.

4293EC25-FA81-4B81-B62D-C96779651437.jpeg
Few weeks left with an old tube of Proraso. Fine lather and shaves. Perfect for warm weather shaving.

I recently selected TFS Mandarino Tachibana for a May 3017. It is quite a heavy ripe orange smell - very nice in my view but it may a little forceful for those that appreciate a more subtle scent. Anyway, i had wistfully thought it may be nice to shave with the scent of orange filling the bathroom as the days get noticeably longer and warm spring sunshine becomes more the norm.

Anyway, the UK is looking set for its wettest May on record. At this rate I may have to hunt out a shave soap that is best paired with miserable driving rain or at best gloomy drizzle. Living in England my expectations of the weather are shall we say, limited and hesitant at best, but this is getting ridiculous.....

I recently selected TFS Mandarino Tachibana for a May 3017. It is quite a heavy ripe orange smell - very nice in my view but it may a little forceful for those that appreciate a more subtle scent. Anyway, i had wistfully thought it may be nice to shave with the scent of orange filling the bathroom as the days get noticeably longer and warm spring sunshine becomes more the norm.

Anyway, the UK is looking set for its wettest May on record. At this rate I may have to hunt out a shave soap that is best paired with miserable driving rain or at best gloomy drizzle. Living in England my expectations of the weather are shall we say, limited and hesitant at best, but this is getting ridiculous.....

Perfect weather for The Fat.

This mornings shave was with What The Puck Orange. I loaded the heck out of it, like I hate it, then loaded some more. Nice smooth shave with a Lupo 72 and a Derby Extra, first use.
Post shave feel I can tell this certainly ain't The Fat.

Looks like some others have had the same experience with GD soaps. I haven't any new ones and bought all of mine in early 2020.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I was reading that thread as well, Jim. Does it just load so fast that folks continue loading well past what is required, based on how long they load other pucks? Or does it take sooooo much soap to get a good lather? From what Rudy said, my guess is the former.

GD can be very frustrating. Mo changes his formulas so frequently. The performance is always good it is the longevity that becomes an issue.

Here is an older post I made.
1622108098412.png

Mo read my post and sent out a replacement soap which was fine. I load all of the soaps the same way and for the same amount of time. Some last a while and some disappear very fast. IMHO, I think his changes in the formula are one reason for this. Another problem I noticed was that his soaps do no travel well in the hot AZ weather. Some soap I purchased shifted and looked very uneven. Another Donkey Fat soap arrived in almost liquid form. I had to put it in the the freezer to harden it and use it.

Here is another post from another member outlining his problems.
1622109428486.png

GD Soaps are a mystery to me. All are good performers. However, some disappear at an unbelievable rate even though your technique is the same.

Top Bottom