What's new

My Grandpa's Razor passed down to me!

From what I can tell, that beauty looks new. Glad to see tradition passed on like that. Thinks for posting the pictures. You made my night.

Jeff

Now that's a story with a happy ending! No doubt, you are going to enjoy some of the best shaves you've ever had!

Ciao!
Bruce

Nice! My grandpa used to have a straight razor and black shell strop but my sister took it for her hairstyling career which she doesn't do anymore. She said I could have it after she dies! :blink:

Awesome!

I too, just received my grandfather's razors. I've used the ball-end tech twice now, and it's great!!

Enjoy!!! :001_smile

Very nice! My dad used to shave with a Gillette 1950s-80s, but switched to cartridges at some point. He died last year, and I looked for his old DE, but couldn't find it. Lost to history...

Be glad you have something passed down. You can think of your grandpa as you shave with it. It'll be a nice reminder.

WOW, congratulations!! :w00t:

That is so great to have a physical connection with your good memories of your grandpa! :biggrin1: :thumbup:

Happy Shaving!

-Greg

Nothing that old, but last month I was at my deceased parents house over in La. ( my sister and I decided to keep it as weekend meeting place as we both live in different states) and was looking around and found an old Gem flip top of some kind. It looks like new but I know it dates to the early or mid 60's as he switched over to Shick injectors, then an electric.

Last edited:
That is an awesome looking flare tip rocket :001_tt1:. I have one that looks exactly the same. Same patent number and all. However, my razor looks to be from the early sixties.

i get home from work to find my dad in my house talking to my wife and picking up some stuff we bought for them and he says "i dropped off a razor for you, it was your grandpa's". he pulls out what appears to be a "gillette flare tip rocket with a wilkenson blade still in it" (based on a quick google search". :001_tt1:

so i am ecstatic at this point to get it, something passed down, found in my parents basement, unused for years. so dad leaves to go get my mom and i got to work.

out comes the simple green, scrubbing bubbles, q-tips and maas polish. a while later, and i have this.

not a scratch on it, no plate loss, no dings, mechanics are SUPER smooth and it's nice and shiny pretty now! :w00t:

if anyone can identify the exact model and mfg year, it would be greatly appreciated. inside it's marked "BRIT. PAT. 694093" underside is marked "Gillette II MADE IN ENGLAND".

needless to say, i will be cherishing this one for years to come. if it was good enough for Grandpa, it's good enough for me. :thumbup: and my dad also said, he thinks there is another one downstairs somewhere. i'm not getting my hopes up too high. if he finds another, bonus, if not, this one is SWEET.

i should have taken some before shots, but here are the after shots. :lol: pics are without flash, but it is shiny and polished in person.

can't wait to try it out.
Sweet! Made even better with the back story. You'll enjoy a lifetime of great shaves with it, and you can pass it down to the next generation.

A beautiful razor in all respects.

Are you sure your GF even used it ? It looks too clean.

Now that's a story with a happy ending! No doubt, you are going to enjoy some of the best shaves you've ever had!

Ciao!
Bruce

Bruce!! Welcome back, long time, no see.

To the OP, having a razor with a family history is wonderful. I have my dad's razor, and I feel a connection and fond rememberences whenever I use it.

-- John Gehman

Hey Bruce, Thats a nice English Rocket you have there. Did your Grandpa use a brush, and mug?. It would be so cool if you could find those also. My Dad used a flare tip when I was a boy but switched to the Trac-II when it came out. Mom Tossed the flare tip after Dad died. She didn't want me cutting myself with it. I sure wish that I had it.

Clayton

WOW! That's a beautiful razor! I started out with a Nanjie (chinese piece of crap), so you don´t know how lucky you are!
Congrats!

That is a great looking piece. On that note, though, it would not suprise me if he typically used a different razor (the one your Dad referred to) and this one was one he either bought but never used (or just started to use).

Not that it matters, family connection-wise. If I were you, I would look hard for the other razor, clean it up, but actually use this one.

Top Bottom