What's new

My Grande Journey

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
proxy.php

That looks like a well made razor, and hefty too.

The flat at the top of the base plate shouldnt effect anything. How it clamps the blade is very similar to the Wolfman WR1, but why end the base plate support shy of the edge of the cap?

I wouldnt expect that to make a lot of difference, I just dont see why they designed it like that.

Increase the width of the bottom plate bearing surfaces, and decrease the overall thickness of the head. While they're at it, they may as well remove the gap too lol.

I wish a had a CNC machine lol.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
proxy.php

As I look at my Old Type and my Single Ring the differences are less obvious than this photo. I'll check using my calipers but not tonight.

Far left is a Single Ring. Second from left looks like a mismatch to me, Thin base and Thick cap. The cap doesnt mate flat with the base either, so maybe the Thin and Thick bases also have a different curve giving the blades edge a different angle. Third from the left has both a thicker base and cap with no gap between them.

No mismatch, second from left is the Leresche.
Far left is a Single Ring. Second from left looks like a mismatch to me, Thin base and Thick cap. The cap doesnt mate flat with the base either, so maybe the Thin and Thick bases also have a different curve giving the blades edge a different angle. Third from the left has both a thicker base and cap with no gap between them.

I forgot to include the Rotbart Mond-Extra which is yet another slightly different Single Ring variant. Center between the Gillette SR and OT.
proxy.php

Last edited:
I was under the impression that all Gillette Single Rings came apart like this.

View attachment 885222

Not like this.

View attachment 885223

Do some Single Rings break down in the typical way DE razors do?

If they do come apart in the more common way I'll need to have a look for a proper type replacement handle. Assuming I like the shave it gives anyway.

Forgive me... you're right... I'm useless.. lol!

That would be a ball end handle...:rolleyes:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That looks like a well made razor, and hefty too.

The flat at the top of the base plate shouldnt effect anything. How it clamps the blade is very similar to the Wolfman WR1, but why end the base plate support shy of the edge of the cap?

I wouldnt expect that to make a lot of difference, I just dont see why they designed it like that.

Increase the width of the bottom plate bearing surfaces, and decrease the overall thickness of the head. While they're at it, they may as well remove the gap too lol.

I wish a had a CNC machine lol.

proxy.php

Just fill in the blanks, Mike.

Don't forget this part...I wish a had a CNC machine!

I know someone with a CNC machine and the ability to program it to do things it is not supposed to do, but that doesn't mean they're about to let me use it.

We just need to buy one, and learn to use it, and set up our own custom razor shop.
  • You design it.
  • We built it.
  • You polish it.
  • Pay in advance.
  • If it doesn't work don't blame us, but we want the feedback.
  • If we find the "universally perfect" razor, we'll get very rich.
  • If not we still have a CNC machine.
Simple enough, right. I'll just go on Amazon and order one right away.

Happy CNC dreams,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
No mismatch, second from left is the Leresche.

Ahh, I assumed them all Gillettes.

Forgive me... you're right... I'm useless.. lol!

That would be a ball end handle...:rolleyes:

one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest-1975-jack-nicholson-laughing.png

I assumed a Ball End, but I prefer the thickness of the common bar.

We just need to buy one, and learn to use it, and set up our own custom razor shop.
  • You design it.
  • We built it.
  • You polish it.
  • Pay in advance.
  • If it doesn't work don't blame us, but we want the feedback.
  • If we find the "universally perfect" razor, we'll get very rich.
  • If not we still have a CNC machine.
Simple enough, right. I'll just go on Amazon and order one right away.

BOSC RazorWerkz.

YES
! lol

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Lets get things straight here...

Well, straighter anyway.

Before, both sides.

before.jpg before_02.JPG

That brass is tougher than I expected and you need care doing this. It would be very easy to make the base wavy with heavy hits instead of working it slowly with many lighter well placed taps.

I first drilled a hole in a 1 1/2" shovel handle and worked it, I assumed, pretty well with a plastic hammer. When I put it on a straight edge I had barely moved it.

I sat here at my desk and worked it gently again on the hard straight edge of my desk. Gentle but firm taps between the opening for the handle and the comb working out slightly from center and back again, checking it often against a straight edge.

After, both sides.

after.jpg after_02.jpg

I'm not sure if I moved the corners up to flat or the center down to flat, but the razor closes fine against a blade and it has a nicer more consistent feel as I turn into the threads. It feels better.

If I had to do this to several I'd make a jig so that I could apply constant evenly increasing pressure with a clamp. That would be the best way, but what I have done is an improvement.

No idea if it will shave better and I wont know for a few days yet as I'll be using the Canadian tonight and the Made in England Whatever Type after that.

That reminds me. I also took pictures of all 3 showing gaps, blade exposure, the shape of the teeth on the combs and the bearing surfaces of the clamp points on the blades.

1917 Single Ring, Canadian Old, Brit Whatever type.

Single Ring.jpg Canadian.jpg Brit Clone.jpg

If you look closely, you can see the paper behind the Brit between the cap and base, and also the clamping surface of the cap. Just one tiny point at the edge of the cap locking the blade to the base.

The Canadian on the other hand, completely locks the blade down with the entire cap and there is literally no gap whatsoever.

The Single Ring surprised me. It has tiny feet at each corner of the cap limiting how tight the cap can actually clamp the blade. It also appears to have the most exposure of the three, the least amount of curve in the blade of the three and the most gap at the blades edge of the three, even though it is a very tiny amount.

Interesting but subtle differences.

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Interesting but subtle differences.

What I say. There are OLDs and OLDs. Some are rocking chairs and some are honey badgers.

At least with NEWs, we just worry about the topcaps ... oh, wait. That's just NEW SC.

NEW Improved and all the others are also complicated ...

AA :001_huh:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
What I say. There are OLDs and OLDs. Some are rocking chairs and some are honey badgers.

At least with NEWs, we just worry about the topcaps ... oh, wait. That's just NEW SC.

NEW Improved and all the others are also complicated ...

AA :001_huh:

I've only used a NEW LC and a NEW SC. All the other NEW's I have no idea about but from the looks of them I assume them similar to the LC.

Neither NEW I have used can hold a candle to my Single Ring.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I threw in the towel.

Single Ring, fresh Polsilver.

Captain's Choice 45th

Maggard synthetic.

54 hours since last shave? Wow.

Kitty got her claws out...

Lather up and start N-S, WTG/XTG as steep as I had the previous shaves. Instantly I felt more blade. This is how Polsilvers feel in my Grande first shave hmmm. Not quite as smooth, not quite as forgiving, but a whole bunch closer first pass. Shockingly close honestly. Above my jawline felt BBS unless I pressed hard into my skin and felt ATG, thats a first. Below my jawline, not so much.

Lather up and straight S-N, ATG/XTG. Again a lot of blade feel, not as smooth, what the hell, blood left corner of my mouth. Ah yes, we got something here...

Finish that pass and wipe with a wet hand, virtually BBS everywhere. Paint my swirls and jawline again just to be sure, swipe over them and done for one of the closest shaves I've ever had.

My left side jawline thats always a problem, BBS without issue. Thats never happened so easily before. I did no buffing at all except lightly over my upper lip.

This should be now, a two pass BBS razor, but its more unforgiving. I'm amazed as bent as it was, and I didnt think it was that bad, that the bend sacrificed so much efficiency.

No its not quite as comfortable to use. No its not quite as smooth to use, but the added efficiency is worth it, I think. I need to hone my technique with it more now and to be honest, I kind of like that. No more boringly easy shaves with this razor.

After, both sides.
View attachment 885602 View attachment 885603
I'm not sure if I moved the corners up to flat or the center down to flat, but the razor closes fine against a blade and it has a nicer more consistent feel as I turn into the threads.
Looks like you still have a bit of a wave in there.
If I had to do this to several I'd make a jig so that I could apply constant evenly increasing pressure with a clamp.
I tried that - it didn't work well for me. The only way a clamping works is if you go past straight just enough so when it springs back, it's straight. I wasn't going to go past straight, so the clamp always left a bit of a bow. I still prefer to use a big heavy plastic mallet.
The Single Ring surprised me. It has tiny feet at each corner of the cap limiting how tight the cap can actually clamp the blade.
That's not normal - it means the top cap has been dropped on the corners and they folded. Hammer or file them flat. I had that on two corners of mine
proxy.php

Top Bottom