What's new

My Grande Journey

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Clone isn't quite a clone, but smooth.

Of course, how many Old Types does a guy need?

Three.OldType.Razors.640.5-29-18JPG.JPG

The one on the right is the one I've been using. The others have newly showed up. If one of them is as good as the one on the right I can send the one on the right, or maybe the one in the center for replating. If both are great, I can send two for replating.

Not saying I'll replate anything. Just exploring options.

I think I have one more Old Type razor in transit, so there will be one more contender and potential option.

So, the bottom line according to me is either of these. A guy needs...
  1. As many good Old Type razors as he can find.
  2. At least two good Old Type razors so one can be replated and the other kept in service.
  3. At least three OT razors because that's how many I have, but they'd better all be good or why have them.
Probably your local antique store has restocked from their secret stash of several million OT razors and clones and SRs. They're going to have a DR any day now.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Baily Mk2. Not much exposure but good rigidity. Only did a one pass head shave but I'm very impressed with the design.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
So, the bottom line according to me is either of these. A guy needs...
  1. As many good Old Type razors as he can find.
  2. At least two good Old Type razors so one can be replated and the other kept in service.
  3. At least three OT razors because that's how many I have, but they'd better all be good or why have them.

So in other words...

Untitled.jpg

I'll have to check that hidey hole of a razor shop again soon.

I like that handle too lol.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Brit 'Whatever' Type with Fat Tech handle - Polsilver

Stirling Iced Pineapple.

Maggard synthetic.

View attachment 886989

45 hours since last shave.

Looking at how little room I have on my shelves now I really need to get my other one finished lol.

Usual 3 pass+ shave. N-S, S-N and ATG.

Very smooth razor. Very, smoooth lol.

First pass not as close as I hoped but not bad. Supremely comfortable.

Second pass again, not as close as I like but extremely comfortable.

Third pass ATG and yep, more of that ultimate smoothness, but also a lot of buffing. Far more than with either the Single Ring or the Canadian and a lot less blade feel than either too, but not BBS either...

I needed 3 more clean up passes, focusing quite a lot on my left side jawline and right side of my mouth. Have I mentioned how smooth this razor is? Its also quite mild.

I did finish with a nice BBS shave, but it took some work getting it. Increasing pressure to the point I was a bit afraid of using more, along with using it as steep as I possibly could, and also shallow trying to find the better cutting angle. If it's in there I havent found it yet, but wow, is it smooth.

I'm really liking this soap too. I'm not a big fan of menthol soaps and it felt damn cold at my third pass, but its a nice light scent and I focused on getting the lather just right and succeeded. Nice soap.

I'm also really liking this little, modest, unassuming, lather monster of a brush.

For the next few shaves I'll put fresh Polsilvers in my Grande, Single Ring, Canadian Old and this Brit and give them all a thorough workout.

I can have a comfortable shave with any of them, but I like efficiency. This Brit today was a bit frustrating in its lack of efficiency. I'm not sure I like that, but it is so smooth lol I can live with it....maybe.
I was hoping for more from your Brit "Whatever". I interested to see what your subsequent shaves are like. Sometimes first impressions can change. It makes me wonder about vintage clones vs the real deal. I'm one who likes menthol and could easily use menthol soaps every shave. I like them even, especially, in the winter months. I also like Stirling Soaps. My skin just wish they didn't use almond oil. :sad:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Baily Mk2. Not much exposure but good rigidity. Only did a one pass head shave but I'm very impressed with the design.

I know I've said the same before, but you seem to have an endless supply of interesting and usually new to me and unusual razors to show pictures of.

proxy.php

I've decided you're either buying a new razor every day or just copying some internet pictures and fooling us.

What is a "Baily Mk2?" I mean here's a picture of one, but I can't find anything about the razor on the internet. Not that I spent hours searching, but most razors even obscure ones are usually easy to find. This leads to a third possibility.

You're photoshopping Frankenrazors to invent razors that don't otherwise exist and giving them cool names.

Very clever!

Happy shaves with all these razors, real or imaginary,

Jim

I know I've said the same before, but you seem to have an endless supply of interesting and usually new to me and unusual razors to show pictures of.

proxy.php

I've decided you're either buying a new razor every day or just copying some internet pictures and fooling us.

What is a "Baily Mk2?" I mean here's a picture of one, but I can't find anything about the razor on the internet. Not that I spent hours searching, but most razors even obscure ones are usually easy to find. This leads to a third possibility.

You're photoshopping Frankenrazors to invent razors that don't otherwise exist and giving them cool names.

Very clever!

Jim
Hehe yeah I could just live happily with the Shake Sharp as my best but the fun is in the chase.

Baily is a big Chinese manufacturer of both TTO and three piece designs. This second iteration of their three piece is also sold by Italian Barber as the Teck II. The first version is in the background in the above photo. They go for under $10.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I was hoping for more from your Brit "Whatever". I interested to see what your subsequent shaves are like. Sometimes first impressions can change. It makes me wonder about vintage clones vs the real deal. I'm one who likes menthol and could easily use menthol soaps every shave. I like them even, especially, in the winter months. I also like Stirling Soaps. My skin just wish they didn't use almond oil. :sad:

I had hoped for more too Rave.

Right now I can feel around my face and I have a slightly patchy shave, like when I was using the NEW SC very shallow. I honestly have no idea how that happened with the Brit, because I was using it extremely steep with quite a lot of pressure.

My swirls are still nearly BBS, but my jawline left and right are barely DFS. The right side of my mouth is DFS as are the outsides of my upper lip. The center directly under my nose is much the same as my swirls, nearly BBS.

Obviously I was dropping the angle slightly somehow but it never felt like it. Maybe I'm just not use to 'mild' razors, but it doesnt look that mild and yet frustrated me like using a Tech does.

I dont mind menthol soaps either but I find Stirling menthols on the stronger side. I have one Stirling Glacial too, Wintergreen, and reached for it but chickened out haha. I've had it since July last year and I havent used it yet.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
L-R
Fatip Grande. Brit Clone. Canadian Old Type. 1917 Gillette Single Ring.

All cleaned and loaded with fresh Polsilvers.

IMG_2698.JPG

I also took the advice of @rudyt and filed the 'feet' from the inside corners of the cap. That took all of 30 seconds with a fine toothed file. I suspect a nail file would work just as easily.

All four corners had some brass that had rolled over from being dropped I assume. All four corner 'feet' were also different sizes.

Before and after.

IMG_2623.jpg IMG_2699.JPG

The blade is sitting noticeably tighter to the base and I have a feeling it will be back to being nice and smooth again.

I'm looking forward to tomorrows shave.

Single Pass Evening Head Shave. Baily Mk2/Astra SS. I added a single shim so the entire length of the blade is supported more fully. Better ATG on my head than my Fatips or Old Types.
proxy.php

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
L-R
Fatip Grande. Brit Clone. Canadian Old Type. 1917 Gillette Single Ring.

All cleaned and loaded with fresh Polsilvers.

View attachment 887205

I also took the advice of @rudyt and filed the 'feet' from the inside corners of the cap. That took all of 30 seconds with a fine toothed file. I suspect a nail file would work just as easily.

All four corners had some brass that had rolled over from being dropped I assume. All four corner 'feet' were also different sizes.

Before and after.

View attachment 887207 View attachment 887208

The blade is sitting noticeably tighter to the base and I have a feeling it will be back to being nice and smooth again.

I'm looking forward to tomorrows shave.

From the pictures that filing should make a significant difference. This was the Single Ring, right?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Oh man, that blade must have been flapping like crazy. Your next shave should be noticeably better.

My last shave with it wasnt the smoothest shave by any stretch lol, but it was a close shave.

From the pictures that filing should make a significant difference. This was the Single Ring, right?

The Single Ring yeah. I expect it will make a difference, but in looking at the newest pic above, its still not perfectly flat across the comb. It needs a little more gentle tweaking but its a lot closer than it was.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The Single Ring...in looking at the newest pic above, its still not perfectly flat across the comb. It needs a little more gentle tweaking but its a lot closer than it was.

Not sure which photo you're seeing this lack of flatness across the comb in, but the main thing is you see it and (I think you're saying) you're going to tweak it.

I still have only the vaguest idea of how you're fixing this razor, but I know you know what you're doing.

Happy fixing,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Not sure which photo you're seeing this lack of flatness across the comb in, but the main thing is you see it and (I think you're saying) you're going to tweak it.

I still have only the vaguest idea of how you're fixing this razor, but I know you know what you're doing.

Happy fixing,

Jim
I like how Mike is tweaking it one step at a time and not over doing it. Discretion is the better part of valor. Caution here is warranted. It would be a shame to lose such a razor!

Last edited:
Before and after.

Going by the pics the clamp distance was huge. Now, even since the remedial work on the cap there's still a "much bigger than it should be" clamp distance, to my eyes.

I don't think I'd be keen on that razor one bit. It's the first time I've seen any razor where the cap (underside) radius is BIGGER than the baseplate (seating) radius. :001_huh:

proxy.php

Very clever!

Jim

You stinker! :a14: You changed up the name. I like the head and and was having fun trying to find it, so tried Baili, and there it is on the bay. It'll look great on my Durham Duplex handle!

You stinker! :a14: You changed up the name. I like the head and and was having fun trying to find it, so tried Baili, and there it is on the bay. It'll look great on my Durham Duplex handle!
Regrettably the Durham handle doesn't work , I tried mine. I may just order another Rockwell handle for it since that works so well.

The Baily head doesn't have an official name so one just has to match with photos on the multiple models it's featured on.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Look at this before picture.

before.jpg

Notice how far the edge of the blade is off the comb. Notice also the rolled over corners of the cap, allowing the blade to lift from the base plate from spring pressure.

I've straightened the base plate quite a bit closing that gap slightly, but because the 'feet' at the corners of the cap are stopping the cap from making full contact with the base plate, that allows the blade to basically float above the base plate.

Now the after picture.

after.JPG

Again, notice the distance between blade edge and comb. I've removed the rolled over 'feet' on the caps corners but theres still a slight gap under the edge of the blade. Thats because the base plate, or more accurately the comb, still isnt quite straight or flat. The corners are still bent slightly downwards, but thats a drastic difference in only 30 seconds work with a file.

Now my Canadian Old.

Canadian.jpg

Notice the same points of interest and how close the blade is to the comb. The blade edge is firmly against the tops of the teeth in the comb. This razor is dead straight and square and has never been bent in any way.

In looking at the Canadian in that picture now I'm a little tempted to file the square leading edge off the cap and give it a thinner profile more like the Single Ring, but I'm not sure that would make a lot of difference.

I dont honestly know what I'm doing, but as Rave said;

I like how Mike is tweaking it one step at a time and not over doing it. Discretion is the better part of valor. Caution here is warranted. It would be a shame to lose such a razor!

Discretion is the better part of valour, and I'd rather take my time, learn as I go, and do it properly. Do it once and do it right. Thats been a costly lesson learned over the years but one I have learned.

This razor is 101 years old. It would be a crying shame for it to end up unusable or worse because of some heavy handed work with a hammer and file.

Going by the pics the clamp distance was huge. Now, even since the remedial work on the cap there's still a "much bigger than it should be" clamp distance, to my eyes.

I don't think I'd be keen on that razor one bit. It's the first time I've seen any razor where the cap (underside) radius is BIGGER than the baseplate (seating) radius. :001_huh:

I'm assuming from the rolled over corners on the cap combined with the bent corners of the base plate its been fully assembled when it was dropped. One of the 4 corners on the cap was only rolled over only very slightly, the other three progressively worse with one being really bad.

So far, only the base plate has been straightened. You have a good eye to catch that Cal, I have too but I'm not that concerned with it, yet.

The base and cap both need to have the exact same curvature, but like I said I dont want to just bang away on it in an attempt to get it straight. I need to do one bit at a time and see the changes and figure out where its bent and how much. Both cap and base I believe, will need to be worked together at some point, but because I havent done this before and really dont want to mess it up, its baby steps so I can understand what it needs and how to do it properly.

This is why a jig would be easier in my mind. Simply assemble the razor, put it in the jig and apply pressure until straight. Making that jig would be a job however.

Top Bottom