What's new

My "Gold Slash" 7 day set

I calculated my bevel. 19.6 degrees. wow.

I will sharpie test, and may hone spine. I'll draw a picture on this blade and show what I did.

Phil

The blue spot is the now removed area I overheated. There is just a little straw color remaining. The black line and arrow are where the tape melted, it isn't very much of the blade. I measured the spine to .235 and the blade to the hone wear .690, so 19.6 degrees.

I won't have time to mess with this any till next week sometime. My weekend is already shot.

Phil

Attachments

• $gddamage.jpg
    $gddamage.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 474

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I calculated my bevel. 19.6 degrees. wow.

I will sharpie test, and may hone spine. I'll draw a picture on this blade and show what I did.

Phil

Thinning the spine might help, then. But I wouldn't go medieval on it. You can always take more off later, but it isn't practical to put any back on. I have done that before, and I have to say, you go through a lot of tape doing it with tape. I tried once "taping" the edge with a piece of steel from a tin can. I just folded it over, lightly hammered it to a sharp fold, trimmed it to about 3/16" wide, and stuck it right onto the edge. A bit of pressure to drive the edge down into it, and the piece stayed on the razor just fine. I honed on a 200 grit diamond plate, then followed up with a 1k synthetic, then set my bevel again with about a hundred extra laps to bring the spine bevel plane in line with the edge bevel, and to let the razor self-correct any honing induced twist. It was really just an experiment, but it did make me a shaver out of it. I didn't measure the bevel either before or after... just sort of eyeballed it and compared it to an old wostie that was next on my hone list. The tin can steel folded over the edge worked great. Of course I was also sending the pressure to the spine, so there was even more bias to reducing the spine thickness.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Slash, have you even got to the "Tuesday" of your seven day set yet?

This thread is going to go on for months!:001_tt2:

LOL! No, not yet. Got the blades ground for the whole set, though. I been really busy. Have to hang out at my union hall all day to watch for a job. Evenings lately I been having to fix a lot of electrical and plumbing and rigging and mechanical issues on my boat. I just re-plumbed the head and holding tank, and now I have a cracked housing in the pump, and the unit is no longer made... original to the boat, 1977. So tomorrow evening I will be installing a complete new head and tank. The old tank wrapped around the head so I can't re-use it, I don't think. But I think while I am sitting in the hall, I will do some sanding on a blade or two. And I REALLY want to get some scales made. I need a clone.

Not to thread jack, but...

Can someone send me a link to the > $5 GDs? Got some ideas a brewing...

I get mine for $4.55.... but now the seller got them at $10... something happen with the GD market... someone be watching this forum...
:blink:

But I happily sign for a group buy :001_tt2:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Soo....Slash. I've been meaning to ask you about your Gold Dollars. Do you tape the spines?

I only tape a spine when there is a good reason to do so. I have never seen a Gold Dollar that needed its spine taped. If anything, usually the spines are a little TOO thick.

Pm sent (not sure of eBay posting rules)
eBay links to live-auctions are verboten.
Nobody wants to be watching an item and then have someone else (with no interest in buying it) post it up here to drive the price up.
It also prevents people from "advertising" their own auctions.

eBay links to Buy-It-Now listings are fine.

Well... somewhat independently of this thread, I bought 10 GDs and then bought 10 more after I got the first one and honed it up. These are just plain fun to experiment with. Here is a picture of my first one. FWIW - you don't need to polish that logo off - just use a cloth with a bit of acetone on it. It comes right off. The picture below is of the unpolished blade that has been honed. It has an amazing edge that is better than some of my high-priced blades. I have since taken it down and polished it. Haven't bothered to take the stamping off of it - though, like has been observed, it would be easy enough on a 66.

$GoldDollar640.jpg

Last edited:
Well... somewhat independently of this thread, I bought 10 GDs and then bought 10 more after I got the first one and honed it up. These are just plain fun to experiment with. Here is a picture of my first one. FWIW - you don't need to polish that logo off - just use a cloth with a bit of acetone on it. It comes right off. The picture below is of the unpolished blade that has been honed. It has an amazing edge that is better than some of my high-priced blades. I have since taken it down and polished it. Haven't bothered to take the stamping off of it - though, like has been observed, it would be easy enough on a 66.

View attachment 218489

I'm curious, what did you make the scales out of?

Top Bottom