What's new

My First Razor... Adjustable or Fixed?

A "fixed-adjustable."

An adjustable is ideal when you're learning with a variety of blades and soaps.
A fixed razor lets you hone into your specific approach to shaving - which may vary one day to the next.

That's why a "fixed-adjustable" like the Rockwell 6S gives you the best of both worlds. You can experiment with a wide range of shaves, from mild to aggressive, with the same razor. And you can experiment with shaving as your beard and grooming needs change.

Pretty cool but if you want to change your setting in the middle of a shave, that would be a pain IMHO compared to a Variant or a Slim. Cost more as well... and I don't really like the 3 pc styles or the Futur style that was mentioned earlier.

If you want to see if you actually like wet shaving, a fixed would be more cost effective. Take a look in the BST to see if another member is moving on from a starter razor at a good price

Happy Shaving
-Chris
US Army Veteran, Foxhole Shavers Club Member

Howie and Helen? I don't know the different shave stores yet.
They own Super Safety Razor in Yorktown Heights New York, the importers of the Parker Variant. very nice people. Is that where you bought it? Please let me know when you get it, if you want to, and I'll guide you through the first uses. No pressure...just if you want to. I'll think you'll enjoy the Parker Variant a lot.

My choice would be either a 34C or one of the EJ89 series. To me, that would leave fewer variables.

OK... change of plans. I figure I will acquire a few razors. This has all the signs of an addictive adventure... but I'm all in :a54:

I just bought the Merkur HD 34C. I know I said I want the longer handle of a 38 and I'll get one later I'm sure but I'll give the short handle a spin, literally in my hand. It may have that as an advantage that I like, we'll see.

I also am going to buy an adjustable. Yes the Parker Variant... but later. For now I've decided I want to take my time and find a nice Gillette Slim Adjustable from my birth year. I have read in a few places that all of the Slim years are nice and you really don't need to be too concerned about the year just the condition. Hopefully the late 60's is included in that.

OK... change of plans. I figure I will acquire a few razors. This has all the signs of an addictive adventure... but I'm all in :a54:

I just bought the Merkur HD 34C. I know I said I want the longer handle of a 38 and I'll get one later I'm sure but I'll give the short handle a spin, literally in my hand. It may have that as an advantage that I like, we'll see.

I also am going to buy an adjustable. Yes the Parker Variant... but later. For now I've decided I want to take my time and find a nice Gillette Slim Adjustable from my birth year. I have read in a few places that all of the Slim years are nice and you really don't need to be too concerned about the year just the condition. Hopefully the late 60's is included in that.
When you decide to change the handle on the Merkur, check out the handles offered at Maggard Razor. They have a great variety and are extremely reasonable.

Sent via mobile

When you decide to change the handle on the Merkur, check out the handles offered at Maggard Razor. They have a great variety and are extremely reasonable.

Sent via mobile

I don't think you can change the 34/38 handles can you? They're 2 pc razors. Thank you for recommending the Gillette Slim Adjustable by the way.

A bad shave is not a useful indicator of a persons skill or ability with a razor. NOT AT ALL.

I agree if a person has been using one razor, blade, and cream or soap lathered one way, and they still get bad shaves after say a year,,, then they ARE at fault for not changing brand of blade or soap, or even just the lather consistency.

A good reference razor would be the piccolo. when I first read of it two years ago on shaving sites, it was a reputation for a razor that had blade alignment issues. And unless you spent 5 or more minutes before each shave making sure the blade was even all around,,,, NOTHING in the world would make the resulting shave anything but an irritating blood bath.
Skill remains the biggest factor. Technique improves no doubt. And some razors are just not well engineered, so it's almost impossible to get a decent shave with them. However, I'm talking about somebody who has less than two months experience with DE wet shaving and is ready to throw in the towel, or believes that there's the perfect razor out there waiting for them. Just like the duffers on the golf course whose fundamentals suck but think that the nexr wonder driver is going to have them hitting the ball 300 yards off the tee. Fortunately DE shaving is way easier than golf!

I've been in this wet shaving thing for close to 10 years now. Not knowing much at the time, the first razor I purchased was a Merkur 38c. I personally would classify the 38c as somewhat aggressive. To make things even more interesting, I also purchased Feather blades. So I basically coupled the 38c and a Feather blade to a user with no experience what so ever. The outcome was not so pleasant. I suspect most people would have quit, but I'm stubborn like that. So back to the drawing board.

After a lot more reading, I purchased an Edwin Jagger de89 and a sampler pack. After finding the blade that worked for me, the rest worked out beautifully. The trick was finding the equipment that was forgiving enough while developing my technique.

I still have that 38c today. I razor I initially hated because of my bad technique has now turned into one of my favorites.

Well, I have the Merkur HD 34C for my first DE razor. I just need to figure out the differences between the blades in my sample pack. I suppose starting with the least sharp is the way to go, I guess. I'm not sure but I think that would be the Derby, Astra or Shark... I don't know. I'll list them again.

Blade Sampler: 5 FEATHER Hi-Stainless (Japan) 5 Gillette Platinum (Russia) 5 DERBY (Turkey) 5 ASTRA Superior Platinum (Russia) 5 7 O'clock Super Stainless (Russia) 5 Silver Blue (Russia) 5 SHARK Super Chrome (Egypt)

The sample pack I got (back in the day) had red Israeli Personnas which was the bladed I settled on when learning. I do remember the Derbys, which felt like shaving with warped butter knife. But that's been years ago. Things change. And as always, what works for one person doesn't necessary work for another.

Good Luck!

I do remember the Derbys, which felt like shaving with warped butter knife. But that's been years ago. Things change.

It all things. I have a pack of Derbys that I used one, gave one away, and still have 3. I wanted to like them, but my face couldn't take the abuse!

Happy Shaving
-Chris
US Army Veteran, Foxhole Shavers Club Member

I root for the Slim or Super as a first razor too.
If you're going to be buying more vintage razors for daily shaving, don't get sucked into paying extra for the original case.

Hello Everyone, I'm new to the forum and I've decided to take the plunge into the DE world of shaving. I have my eye on a couple of razors but mainly wondering if an adjustable would be a good way to start out. The 2 razors I'm looking at are the Merkur 38 Hd Classic and the Parker Variant. I know there is a pretty good difference in price and I will probably wind up buying them both in the end but which would be a good way to start?

Thanks!
How's it going with the new Variant? I'll probably post a thread this weekend about shaving with an adjustable razor. Let me know how you are doing, if you want to. I'm here to help, if I can!

Top Bottom