What's new

My First Razor... Adjustable or Fixed?

I will say you're reaffirming my initial decision to go with the Parker Variant...
It's not best to "start with a fixed razor". You just start with the Variant at it's lowest. Then it's a fixed razor, right. As you get skilled you increase the aggression with each pass, WTG, XTG, and ATG, and you will have close comfortable shaves. Fatboys and Slims are no Holy Grail. They're OK adjustable razors, if you can find one in great shape. The importers of the Parker Variant, Howi and Helen are honest business people, and you will know you have a new shaver that is backed by a warranty. If you hate it, return it within 30 days.

I understand the advice I'm being given to go with a fixed razor (and I appreciate it, keep it coming ) but I think MAYBE a lot of that advice is assuming if I get an adjustable that I will constantly be fiddling with adjustments to correct problems I may run into. Honestly I don't think that will be a problem for me. Once I find the right setting I think I would/could really focus on technique and not adjustments to address issues.
How are you learning your DE technique?

Adjustables are amazingly beautiful, true icons of American industrial design with their simple and durable mechanics. When you are not shaving you can just sit and hold the razor, look at it and let the vintage DE bug really take hold:001_wub:

But whatever you decide you are in for a great ride. DE shaving is truly addictive and you will soon end up hoarding razors, soaps, creams, brushes, aftershaves, pre-creams.... Welcome!

Beautiful words my man.... beautiful words.:c2:

It's not best to "start with a fixed razor". You just start with the Variant at it's lowest. Then it's a fixed razor, right. As you get skilled you increase the aggression with each pass, WTG, XTG, and ATG, and you will have close comfortable shaves. Fatboys and Slims are no Holy Grail. They're OK adjustable razors, if you can find one in great shape. The importers of the Parker Variant, Howi and Helen are honest business people, and you will know you have a new shaver that is backed by a warranty. If you hate it, return it within 30 days.
DE shaving is at least 80% about skill; maybe more. As your skill increases you'll able to get a good shave with a variety of razors and blades, and you'll find you like some combinations more than others. People (me included) obsess about razors and blades, but when folks get poor results it usually indicates lack of skill.
Geofatboy has great instructional videos. He could probably shave with the lid of an old coffee can because he is skilled. I do recommend good pre-shave prep. A little pre-shave oil is useful, though not essential.

How are you learning your DE technique?

Well I will be starting my DE experience next weekend when I get home so I don't really have anything but youtube to work with right now... but you can learn a lot through video tutorials.

Well I will be starting my DE experience next weekend when I get home so I don't really have anything but youtube to work with right now... but you can learn a lot through video tutorials.
Look at Geofatboy's instructional videos. They are the clearest. Watch them many times. What type of beard do you have?

I'm SURE it won't be my only razor but I just bought the Parker Variant (Satin Chrome) for my first! :001_smile

There have been some issues with the Parker Variant and I would read this before you decide to buy one. Parker Variant Problems!

Well there seems to be issues with a few but a lot of people seems to like them. I know the black version were losing their color but I didn't choose that one. I put the order on hold but I'm still not counting it out. I have a few days before I need to decide.

Well there seems to be issues with a few but a lot of people seems to like them. I know the black version were losing their color but I didn't choose that one. I put the order on hold but I'm still not counting it out. I have a few days before I need to decide.

I know you have received a lot of opinions but don't let them overwhelm you. What works for one person doesn't mean it will work for another person. Take your time and I'm sure whatever you choose you will learn to use that razor. Good luck with your shaving journey.

I'd recommend a non-adjustable for your first. The fewer variables you have to work with when learning, the better.
+1 ... The Merkur 34C is very beginner-friendly and virtually foolproof.

Starting off with an adjustable razor, you won't really know what to look for at the different settings. Wait until you get your technique in place, and then you can start to experiment.

No matter what razor you get, be sure to order a blade sampler pack along with it. This is a rite-of-passage on B&B.

There's a thread here about a Future clone for less than $15, plus shipping. Its quite tempting, even though I really like my Fatboy.

Edit : found the thread. It shows it at $8.

QShave clone of Futur?

Sent via mobile
I did a side by side comparison of the clone and Merkur Futur; check the thread. The Futur is too aggressive a razor for you to start with. Buy a Ming Shi 2000s while they're cheap, but put it to ones side for a couple of months at least until you get more skilled.
Look at Geofatboys basics on DE shaving, they're very good. However he uses an adjustable the exact wrong way around going from more to least aggressive. Ideally you go the opposite way, like lowering the blade of a lawnmower (increasing aggression) to get a finer cut. Other than that, his videos are very helpful. But for now you're not going to play around with using the adjustable as an adjustable!

I've had no problems with my Parker, and if you experience any Howie and Helen stand 100% behind their products.

When you begin just use the Variant on it's mildest setting. Then if you press too hard, and most of us do at first, you won't hurt yourself. Your touch will become finer.

Don't shave in the shower because you need to see, but more importantly feel and hear how you are shaving. Also don't fall for that old nonsense of "letting the weight of the razor do the work". That doesn't help across the grain or against the grain does it? Unless you can find a way to defy gravity! Instead find the balance point of the razor, keep you wrist firm, not stiff, and imagine that you are painting the hair off your face. Short strokes work best at first until your confidence grows.

Keep me posted, I'm happy to help. What blades are you going to try?

+1 ... The Merkur 34C is very beginner-friendly and virtually foolproof.

Starting off with an adjustable razor, you won't really know what to look for at the different settings. Wait until you get your technique in place, and then you can start to experiment.

No matter what razor you get, be sure to order a blade sampler pack along with it. This is a rite-of-passage on B&B.
I already did :euro: I posted the sample pack contents earlier.
Blades are an enormous variable for many of us. Preferences vary widely, yet avoid ones at the extremes. Forget Feathers at first. Also give Derby a wide berth if you have a medium beard. I love experimenting with blades. There are a lot of very good ones, some amazing. Most of all have fun and treat it as one big experiment and you'll form your own preferences. Soon you'll become an opinionated SOB like me! Have fun man!

Fixed. But there's nothing really wrong with starting with an adjustable. Just put it on a low setting, maybe 1, and stick with that setting until you're comfrotable you're getting a good have with no irritation or ingrowns.

A "fixed-adjustable."

An adjustable is ideal when you're learning with a variety of blades and soaps.
A fixed razor lets you hone into your specific approach to shaving - which may vary one day to the next.

That's why a "fixed-adjustable" like the Rockwell 6S gives you the best of both worlds. You can experiment with a wide range of shaves, from mild to aggressive, with the same razor. And you can experiment with shaving as your beard and grooming needs change.

Top Bottom