What's new

My first GEM 1912!

Enjoy! It's a great shave. Where are you getting your SE blades?

Go on down to walgreens, get you some GEM SS. ...

My local Walgreens doesn't carry them (which surprised me). I have some GEMs and PALs on the way from AmericaRx.com.

... They worked pretty good in my OCMM for my first SE shave. :thumbup1:

Brave man. :laugh: Only a matter of time before I get me one of those. :tongue_sm

It's an SE revolution!

Will the 1912 overthrow those DE razors up there? Stay tuned....

Last edited:
Your cheap gem will outshave their pricey DEs any day of the week and twice on sundays.. Kudos for choosing SE.

Your cheap gem will outshave their pricey DEs any day of the week and twice on sundays.. Kudos for choosing SE.

Well, the Gibbs ($14, from Deutsche Optik) is the cheapest of my DEs, and it may actually overtake the R41 as my favorite. As in so many other things, price does not necessarily translate into satisfaction (or lack thereof).

Last edited:
P

Pjotr

Well, the Gibbs ($14, from Deutsche Optik) is the cheapest of my DEs, and it may actually overtake the R41 as my favorite. As in so many other things, price does not necessarily translate into satisfaction (or lack thereof).

Two months ago $14 would have bought you an NOS Gem Junior. Check this B/S/T/ thread. Where was I? Oh that's right, here on the other side of the world in CONAUS land!

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=186300&highlight=GEM+Junior

Two months ago $14 would have bought you an NOS Gem Junior. Check this B/S/T/ thread. Where was I? Oh that's right, here on the other side of the world in CONAUS land!

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=186300&highlight=GEM+Junior

Holy guacamole! That was some really nice stuff. Oh, man.... :em2200:

I think the blades will tell all when it comes to SE shaving. There isn't much choice, is there? Two, maybe three kinds, at most. They either work for you, or ... you're out of luck. That's the big question mark for me.

Its very true, the price on SE razors have shot up and for good reason. Makes me real glad I bought about 30 of them as soon as I realized that for me personally a beat up Gem for $5 made a lot more sense than just about anything else, and Im not done buying them yet.

Once the SE AD takes over, there is no use fighting it.

Its very true, the price on SE razors have shot up and for good reason. Makes me real glad I bought about 30 of them as soon as I realized that for me personally a beat up Gem for $5 made a lot more sense than just about anything else, and Im not done buying them yet.

Once the SE AD takes over, there is no use fighting it.

Yep. I'm about a month or two late to the dance. I think the SE revolution is here to stay, and the ebay prices are going up and up and up and up... :blink:

But, better late than never. I am so enjoying my second week with my 1912 Damaskeene w/ Walgreens Gem, that I haven't tried my 1914, my 1924 (I think that's what it's called), or my GBar.

The amazing thing about my 1912 shaves is that there is no post-alum burn whatsoever, coupled with near BBS shaves every time.

Just think, If you would have known about the 1912 from the start....you could have saved a lot of money! Happy shaving, the 1912 won't let you down.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

P

Pjotr

Holy guacamole! That was some really nice stuff. Oh, man.... :em2200:

I think the blades will tell all when it comes to SE shaving. There isn't much choice, is there? Two, maybe three kinds, at most. They either work for you, or ... you're out of luck. That's the big question mark for me.

No there isn't much choice but the way SE shaving works I don't think you need it. I've had no concerns about the lack of choice and it's not something you hear people talk about. What's the concensus on this one?

in my exp, the lack of blade choice is a good thing.

When I started DE shaving, i was obsessed with finding the perfect blade for me, and quite honestly, I couldnt find much of any difference with any DE blades. Those thin flimsy blades required I do at least 3 or more passes to get BBS and the irritation post shave was very frustrating.

SE on the other hand...we have carbon steel blades like Treet or Pal which seem to be the sharpest, but also dull very quickly. Then their is stainless, like Gem personna blades from Walgreens and other places, or my personal favorite the Ted Pella or EMS stainless blades. Plenty sharp enough and seem to last at least 1 or 2 shaves longer than carbon steel blades. Also, when bought in bulk, you just cant beat the price. Theirs a few other SE blade manufacturers Im sure that I am missing here, but it really doesnt matter.

Another good point, all the SE blades are available right here in the good ole USA.

Bottom line, I think if a person can learn the proper angle to hold an SE razor which i different than a DE, they will be very happy with the results.

Bottom line, I think if a person can learn the proper angle to hold an SE razor which i different than a DE, they will be very happy with the results.

Can you say how it's different? Or is it just a matter of experimenting until you get it right?

Can you say how it's different? Or is it just a matter of experimenting until you get it right?

So with a DE, you hold the razor at about 30 degrees or so off your face. With an SE, you basically hold the top of the razor head flush against your face, and then lift the back edge slightly off to give a small angle. That's an approximation, but a starting point from which you'll be able to find the correct angle. SEs give a LOT of feedback, so you'll be able to hear and feel when the hairs are getting sliced.

Watch Mr. Guy's video on shaving with a micromatic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUG2B_-D0d4) for really good tips on this and SE shaving in general. Good luck!

Last edited:

With DE, the handle points towards the floor, with SE the handle points more towards the wall. Thats obviously a very broad generalization, but a starting point for new wet shaves for either equipment.

Top Bottom