What's new

My first brush restoration

Hello Gentlemen, here is the progress so far of my first brush restoration project. The brush featured belonged to my SWMBO’s grandfather who actually raised her so was more like a father to her. This was his favourite brush and was kept by SWMBO after he sadly passed away almost 6 years ago. Shortly after swelling the ranks of B&B I decided to renovate this brush to become the brush granddad should have had and would have had if he were here today. I was using the brush myself daily and I was very happy to do so and remember him each and every time I used it. I sadly did not get to meet him however I get to see all his good work in my SHMBO. As I began the work I had a flash of inspiration and decided to renovate the brush for SWMBO instead. This morning I ordered a 20mm silver tip knot from GN to finish the brush off. I intend to add a ½ crown from granddads coin collection to close off the base of the brush and add the extra weight I think it will require to balance the knot. Please feel free to comment on the work so far and add any suggestions too.

Last edited:
Does nobody care enough to comment or write even a 1 line post. Feeling pretty bad about this now, I thought B&B would be right there offering advice and comments good and bad? Oh well perhaps it is all about the name on the brush. Honestly I thought the guys around here were different. :frown:

The handle looks good and I think the 1/2 crown will be a nice, unique touch. The GN knot should work out perfectly. The only thing I personally don't like is the SWMBO letters.

Sorry, I missed this one first time around. I have several brushes in about the same condition as yours I just haven't gotten around to finishing them. So far it looks to be coming along just fine. I am not sure about the lettering but that is just me. I have to admit I don't know what a half crown looks like, but I think the coin is a great idea. Keep up the good work and don't be like me and start five different brush restorations and never finish them. :blushing:

Make sure to post pictures when you're done!
Lookin' good so far. I'm ambivalent about the letters. I like them one second and the next, I don't and so on

Yeah the letters were just a joke really, I wanted to do them free hand but my writing sucks more than my ability to stick on letters.:blushing:

Looks good so far. Like was said earlier, be sure to post some pics of this thing finished up.

I have a noob-type question for you. I've never restored a brush but have been thinking about giving it a whirl. If it goes well, I may introduce some family members to wet shaving for Christmas. Anyway, how do you get the old knot out, drill it? I saw the picture of the knot without any of the hairs on it, which lead me to ask.

Looks good so far. Like was said earlier, be sure to post some pics of this thing finished up.

I have a noob-type question for you. I've never restored a brush but have been thinking about giving it a whirl. If it goes well, I may introduce some family members to wet shaving for Christmas. Anyway, how do you get the old knot out, drill it? I saw the picture of the knot without any of the hairs on it, which lead me to ask.

Hey Adam there is no such thing as a bad question here or any where actually. i followed the instructions in the how to guide on brushes here at B&B I think it's a sticky. I didn't photograph the actual stages as I guessed most folks would get to their own restore via the same route. Any hows long story short I trimmed the old hairs down with kitchen scissors then drilled out the remains with a wood drill. I holled out all the remaining glue with a cylinder sander bit. I will of course post pics once complete. Needless to say if I can be of any assistance to you please just ask. :001_smile

Hey Adam there is no such thing as a bad question here or any where actually. i followed the instructions in the how to guide on brushes here at B&B I think it's a sticky. I didn't photograph the actual stages as I guessed most folks would get to their own restore via the same route. Any hows long story short I trimmed the old hairs down with kitchen scissors then drilled out the remains with a wood drill. I holled out all the remaining glue with a cylinder sander bit. I will of course post pics once complete. Needless to say if I can be of any assistance to you please just ask. :001_smile

Hey thanks, man. I had no idea there was a sticky for it. I probably should have looked into that first.:blush: Anyway, thanks for the info., and I look forward to seeing a finished product.

How did you get it pink?

I am not in favor of the letters though. The knot from GN should set this one up nicely.

How did you get it pink?

I am not in favor of the letters though. The knot from GN should set this one up nicely.

I sprayed it with plasti kote project paint two coats, then a cover of maplins pcb lacquor to seal it. Incidently the pink was was what I had left over from spraying the mail box and oddly the cover on our roomba! :smile:

Hello again gents. Here is the finished artical! I weighted it down with some small coins and sealed the base with a 1/2 crown coin minted in the year the old fella was born. It lathers like a beast and SWMBO reports it feels great on her legs. Lessons to learn here guys do not drill out the knot shelf like I did! :lol:

Last edited:
Thanks guys this is SWMBO's current roll out. The slim was supposed to be mine however it has not graced my face thus far nor is it likely to any day soon. :lol::lol::lol:

Top Bottom