What's new

My first attempt at a PIF

As the title states this is my first pif attempt so please be patient with me :001_smile . Just before Christmas I ordered a good many corn cob pipes. I was sent one wrong pipe by mistake. I ordered a bent pipe and received a straight. The company was perfect and sent me the right one asap. I wasn't required to return the straight pipe so I figured I would pif. The pipe is a straight Missouri meerschaum 5th Avenue Diplomat with black danish stem. Also going to include a golf tee tamper and leather strap pipe rest made by me (not perfect but functions excellent).

While you don't need a brown leave badge for this pif I would like it to be for peeps in the mainland usa. Don't really want to cut my pif teeth with overseas shipping.

Winner will be chosen at random. Just say "I'm in" to be counted.

Also
1. What is your favorite corn cob pipe shape if you have one?
2. Post a couple of your favorite tobaccos. How many is up to you.

The cut off will be monday morning the 23rd at 8am est.

$20170118_174429.jpg

$20170118_174446.jpg

I'll figure up the winner asap after the cut off time and ship it out as soon as I can after. Once again please be patient I'm figuring this out as I go haha. Also my wife is about 2 weeks from her due date so anything could happen. Moderators let me know if I did anything wrong I'm a total pif newbie.

Thanks to all who participate and good luck!

I'm in, I have only tried two FMotB, and GL Pease Cairo so those are my favorites haha
Don't have a cob, but need one as I am getting some aro and Lakelands to try so...I'm in :thumbup1:

Edit: THANKS!!

Great pif! Not in... I got some cobb's last year and love them. Now I am starting to look at adding some more pipes to my small collection. In a week or so I plan making my first order of some tobacco.

Not in , but my favorite shapes are my Country Gentleman, and my Cobbit Shire, oh, and I am pretty fond of my Dagner poker too.

Excellent PIF, Mark!

Not in, but my favorite cobs are my Dagner pokers. Perfect clenchers for working in the yard, etc.

Tobacco? An approximate top five, not necessarily in order: Stonehaven, Escudo, Heinrichs Dark Strong Flake, Marlin Flake, Salty Dogs.

Awesome eveyone! Keep it up! My personal favorites... larger cob: been loving the Mark Twain shape (but I'm biased :lol: ), smaller cob: love the little morgan nosewarmers. Tobaccos: frog morton cellar, dunhill 965, escudo (yummy when aged). On the lighter side I've been liking lane 1q and my newest favorite aromatic east india trade company officers club.

Been trying to find a Virginia blend I like without much age. Couple have been ok but haven't knocked my socks off.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Your first attempt at a PIF is excellent. I am not in, but when it comes to cobs I am pretty easy. In other pipes I prefer bent stems- seem to be better for clinching. Cobs are light enough to where that doesn't matter. I save my Missouri Meerschaum (same shape as the PIF with a semi bent stem) for smoking SG Grousemoor. My favorite blend is Penzance, followed by Solani Aged Burley Flake and Captain Packer's Black Death.

I'm in. I have two but don't know the names unfortunately. One was bought in store.

I have only tried a few so no favorites yet. I do like my black cordial since it's the only aromatic I have.

Nice PIF, I am not in either. My favorite tobacco to date is escudo and roll cake for the moment. I am leary of trying Penzance for fear I will love it.

space

I'm going to ask this hear, cuz I think this will work better then a new thread. Since this is geared for some new pipe smokers like my self, who only has a pipe, $1 lighter and a pipe tool (now THE pipe tool thanks to B[URL="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/member.php/55641-Bk124tt"]k124tt[/URL]). How do you make the leather strap pipe rest, I assume pick up the leather at any craft store like Hobby Lobby, but the rivet is there anything specific you need or way to do it - thanks!

I got some leather scrap from hobby lobby. The leather was about $4. The snaps came from home depot with the rivet stuff. Even came with the tiny anvil and punch to set them in place. All I needed to put them in was a hammer and a block of wood to set it on (to keep from damaging my floor ha). Originally I only made 2 from some left over leather I used to make a strop for my pocket knives. But I had 4 sets of snaps left so I went ahead and got more leather to use them up. I think the snaps were 6 or 7 bucks if I remember correctly

Great PIF Mark! I'm NOT in, but if I could only smoke cobs, I would still be satisfied. A few of my favorites not already mentioned are Arango Balkan Supreme, Peter Stokkebye Proper English, Rattray's #7 Reserve, all of the Frog Morton blends.

I got some leather scrap from hobby lobby. The leather was about $4. The snaps came from home depot with the rivet stuff. Even came with the tiny anvil and punch to set them in place. All I needed to put them in was a hammer and a block of wood to set it on (to keep from damaging my floor ha). Originally I only made 2 from some left over leather I used to make a strop for my pocket knives. But I had 4 sets of snaps left so I went ahead and got more leather to use them up. I think the snaps were 6 or 7 bucks if I remember correctly

I need to pick up some stuff and make myself a few. Sadly, there's no easy source of leather, scraps or otherwise, locally.

Top Bottom