What's new

My current preferred Cartridge razors.

Current favorite carts, these give me a close irritation free shave, Gillette Sensor Excel, Sensor, Atra, Trac2 with original Gillette Carts. The Mach3s, Fusions, and Harry's shave a bit closer, but after a few daily shaves in a row I get irritation.
OTOH The EJ DE89 and the Timeless SS and TI .95 SB shave without irritation and as close or closer than all the carts.

I’m partial to 2-bladed c cartridges. My favorite is the Schick Super II, for me it gives 30+ very good smooth shaves.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
My favourite cartridge razors are all Schick’s. The main one being my trusty Schick Super2/Ultrex.

My favourite cartridge razors are all Schick’s. The main one being my trusty Schick Super2/Ultrex.

I keep hearing a lot of love for Schick carts, I exclusively used their ST2 disposables from when I first started regularly shaving around 17 up until about 21 when I grew a beard. In all honesty the only reason I picked them was because I thought at the time (Gillette fusion just released), "there is no possible way that 2 blades can't do what 5 can!" Plus the schicks were cheaper then the good news disposables in my area. My wife is almost through her stack of 100+ dorco twin carts (got them back in early 2015, razors last her forever) so since dorco upped their prices and that I'm trying to be less reliant on internet shopping/shipping maybe I'll pick her up a pack of those ST2's and see if she likes them. Waaaay back, before we got married, she would 'borrow' one when she came to visit during her college weekends and never complained about them so that's a good start.

After seeing the comments on the Schick Super 2, I went to their website. that seems to be a discontinued item?
What currently manufactured 2 blade carts are worth trying?

After seeing the comments on the Schick Super 2, I went to their website. that seems to be a discontinued item?

The personna twin pivot plus cartridges are stupid cheap (around $13 for 100 on Amazon), can fit either Atra or Trac 2 style handles, and are the sharpest Cartridge I've ever used. Two minor downsides: the back of the cart isn't 'open' so you have to rinse them after pretty much every single stroke and the lube strip gets really gummy up top (most people rip it off and you can find them made without the strip but not in the abundance of the goo strip version). Another great option is the barbasol twin blade disposable, you can get them at Dollar tree for $1 for a pack of 5 or buy the same disposable not branded by barbasol (dorco makes them) in a case of 100+ online. Also don't discount what used to be called the Gillette good news and now is called the sensor disposable or something like that, fantastic razor if you don't mind throwing them out constantly.

Huh, got some Personna Twin Pivot Plus with another item and never tried them, but certainly will now, thanks for the suggestion.

Try the “bay” that’s where i get them. They are Japanese Schick Super II, if you’re patient and persistent, you can find them for about a dollar a cartridge.

I've been on an extended trial with the Bic Flex5 Hybrid and it shaves quite well, but I find the head a little too large for really good maneuverability. Once I run out of the Bics, I'll probably go back to the Mach 3 for cart shaves and my plastic Wikinson Sword DE with GSBs for DE at home, and use my Guard for travel.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
As nice as I found some of the 4, 5, and 7 blade carts to shave, I do prefer the manueverabiltiy of a 2 or 3 blade cart or disposable.

I too bought a mach 3. To me that is the successor to the trac II or Atra and the heads are not that much bigger. It's a very nice size.

In the disposables, the Schick ST2 is hard to beat. Were I to need a razor to maintain tight lines around beards, burns or a mustache, this would be one of the best.

As nice as I found some of the 4, 5, and 7 blade carts to shave, I do prefer the manueverabiltiy of a 2 or 3 blade cart or disposable.

I too bought a mach 3. To me that is the successor to the trac II or Atra and the heads are not that much bigger. It's a very nice size.

In the disposables, the Schick ST2 is hard to beat. Were I to need a razor to maintain tight lines around beards, burns or a mustache, this would be one of the best.
This is what I have found as well. The 5 blade razors are rather hard to get the upper lip / below the nose area. The Mach 3 Turbo does extremely well and I can get BBS in 2 passes and a touch up. I can’t say that for many DE’s or other carts.

Plus I found a really cool handle that feels like I am using a DE , with the deep knurling.

i would have to disagree. i had either the fusion proglide flexball and the hydro 5 and for me the former is much superior. After 2 passes wtg/atg i'm BBS with the fusion while i still had some patches under the neck with the hydro. But more important, with the hydro 5 it's the "gel reservoir" that actually PREVENTS getting a true BBS. If you lather with a brush and soap (like i always do) the "snail slime" released from that f..kin lubricating strip is way too much, it mixes with the lather and you cannot really shave close to your skin. For me there's not even a comparison. Fusion wins hands down.

This is what I have found as well. The 5 blade razors are rather hard to get the upper lip / below the nose area. The Mach 3 Turbo does extremely well and I can get BBS in 2 passes and a touch up. I can’t say that for many DE’s or other carts.

Plus I found a really cool handle that feels like I am using a DE , with the deep knurling.
which aftermarket handle did you get?

mach3 in my humble opinion has been the absolute best razor by gillette. Unfortunately for my heavy beard it requires more passes than a fusion proglide so i would choose the latter.But comfort-wise IMO nothing beats mach3

i have a good edwin jagger mach3 handle. love it.

proxy.php

which aftermarket handle did you get?
I got the metal Parker found here

Heavyweight All-Metal Triple Blade Razor from Parker Safety Razor - Accepts Mach 3 and Gillette3 Blades https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008Y2ZBTG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MQ.GDbQ5V5TFG

It’s nice , heavy and would satisfy most DE users if they used carts. My only issue is the head that clips to the Mach 3 spins off in the way a three piece DE razor would. It can be glued on ,but it’s by no means a deal breaker. I’m happy with it .

Top Bottom