What's new

My "Ah-Ha!" Moments

Must be a dud Nacet. Nacets are two levels up in sharpness from an Astra SP. Astra SPs are too dull to cut my whiskers except for in aggressive razors.

Or perhaps since it was a different blade you took a different angle that wasn't optimal for it? That too could explain the inefficiency for such a sharper blade. 🤷‍♂️

Must be a dud Nacet. Nacets are two levels up in sharpness from an Astra SP. Astra SPs are too dull to cut my whiskers except for in aggressive razors.

Or perhaps since it was a different blade you took a different angle that wasn't optimal for it? That too could explain the inefficiency for such a sharper blade. 🤷‍♂️

If the blade was good, it just doesn't add up. The only variable in my shave was the Nacet. I've used the razor, soap, and brush successfully for many shaves...with other blades

I have read 1000 times (it seems) that Nacet blades run to the sharp end of the scale, and are very efficient, which leads me to believe that I may have gotten a bad blade.

I've shaved with a bunch of different blades and gotten good shaves from them. I've gotten good shaves from a Derby Extra, so this doesn't make sense.

I'll definitely try the Nacets again, actually looking forward to it.

I've had a Nacet going for 3 shaves so far in different razors and all is well so far. I think the "dud" theory is the most probable. I find them to be a very good blade.

Ok, new day, new Nacet.

I grabbed a blade from a tuck taken from 100 Nacets I had purchased about a year ago. The blade I had used the other day was a random, single blade of unknown origin, possibly part of a blade sampler I bought when I first began DE shaving.

Using the same exact prep, soap, and brush today...

...the new blade gave me my usual (expected) 3-pass, DFS+ result.

Conclusion:

On my previous shave I had either a bad day or bad blade.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
FTFY :tongue_sm

Ok, new day, new Nacet.

I grabbed a blade from a tuck taken from 100 Nacets I had purchased about a year ago. The blade I had used the other day was a random, single blade of unknown origin, possibly part of a blade sampler I bought when I first began DE shaving.

Using the same exact prep, soap, and brush today...

...the new blade gave me my usual (expected) 3-pass, DFS+ result.

Conclusion:

On my previous shave I had either a bad day or bad blade or I put it in upside down.

Been a while since I've plated anything, and yesterday I received a razor from a member here. In our PMs I explained that I am not Back Roads Gold level of quality, and would do my best. He gave me the green light to refinish his Made-in-England Flat Bottom Tech.

Gulp. 😯

Last thing I want to do is f-up a razor that ain't mine.

Well, here's what I did:

The handle was missing most of the factory nickel, so I just buffed it on the wheel, mainly to clean and smooth it.

The base plate was very good. I gave the top a light sanding with 2500 and 3000 grit paper, then buffed.

The cap was brassing so I sanded it with a progression of grits finishing with 3000, then buffed.

Plating and final polish went well, and while it isn't perfect it's a razor that I would be happy to use. Hopefully he feels the same.

Screenshot_20230918_200919_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230918_200941_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230918_200926_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230918_200934_Gallery.jpg

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Been a while since I've plated anything, and yesterday I received a razor from a member here. In our PMs I explained that I am not Back Roads Gold level of quality, and would do my best. He gave me the green light to refinish his Made-in-England Flat Bottom Tech.

Gulp. 😯

Well, here's what I did:

The handle was missing most of the factory nickel, so I just buffed it on the wheel, mainly to clean and smooth it.

The base plate was very good. I gave the top a light sanding with 2500 and 3000 grit paper, then buffed.

The cap was brassing so I sanded it with a progression of grits finishing with 3000, then buffed.

Plating and final polish went well, and while it isn't perfect it's a razor that I would be happy to use. Hopefully he feels the same.

View attachment 1719739View attachment 1719740View attachment 1719741
View attachment 1719742
Looks great from where I'm sitting. Careful @gpjoe , with results like that you may start to find yourself even more popular than you already are.

So the handle you left unplated? The head is looking amazing to me!

And on a side note I like how worlds connect. The handle on this flat bottom is less common than say a fat handle so I think I know this razor as I managed to secure it from the Netherlands for said member. But I could be totally wrong of course.

Either way you did a splendid job and if I were in the US I would let you replate my Techs anytime! Out of love right, not for vending. 😁

Cheers,

Guido

Gulp. 😯

Well, here's what I did:

View attachment 1719739View attachment 1719740View attachment 1719741
View attachment 1719742

WOW! It looks amazing my friend! You more than nailed it - I agree with @Chef455 and @Guido75, you building a serious reputatuation!

Here's what it "might" have looked like before, just because everyone should see the amazing work here. All that sanding, wow, just transformed it. And the plating looks better than new to me!!

1695113203290.png

1695113363978.png

So the handle you left unplated? The head is looking amazing to me!

And on a side note I like how worlds connect. The handle on this flat bottom is less common than say a fat handle so I think I know this razor as I managed to secure it from the Netherlands for said member. But I could be totally wrong of course.

Either way you did a splendid job and if I were in the US I would let you replate my Techs anytime! Out of love right, not for vending. 😁

Cheers,

Guido

Thank you. 🙂

I re-read my post and should have been more clear:

I re-plated all three pieces.

...and yes...lotsa love...always. 😘😁😘

Top Bottom