What's new

My "Ah-Ha!" Moments

From your post on the 3017ing non-soap items, I now want kafta or kibbeh tacos with hummus and tabouleh

Love it.

I'm half Lebanese (dad) and have eaten a lot of the food. Unfortunately my doctor put me on a gluten-free diet, so I'm not supposed to eat kibbe, tabbouleh, and the bread - basically anything with wheat or barley.

I cheat on occasion, but can't eat it nearly as often as I want to.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Understood.

My late father-in-law’s old stomping grounds was a true American melting pot in the 1950s through 1980s with folks from Lebanon, Italy, Korea, Egypt, Greece, Vietnam, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, Ireland, and Quebec province amongst others. We recently went to the Lebanese bakery there (there’s more than one, but the one that doesn’t treat customers as a disgusting imposition is the one…) and traveled back in time.

Since then, it’s been chasing that high at home. Not calling e’erybody habibi, but lots of Mediterranean food.

How do the corn tortillas taste compared to wheat flour tortillas and lavash?

How do the corn tortillas taste compared to wheat flour tortillas and lavash?

I heat a flat, cast iron griddle like this:

L9OG3_L.jpg

...and toast my tortillas until they puff a bit and start to get some golden brown spots. It's all corn flour and actually makes a nice sub for (what we called) Syrian bread. Obviously if I had a choice I would go for the bread 100% of the time.

There's only a few things I will cheat on the gluten free diet for and two of them are Lebanese food and cheesecake...ok, and sadly, an occasional Big Mac.

Thank you, Joe! We call it pita bread here for people who’d rather stub their toes for hundred years than call it Syrian.

Most here call it pita also.

Growing up, it was always Syrian bread among our family members, always will be. I googled "Syrian bread" and it returned both, so apparently "Syrian" bread is a thing.

So now I can use "Syrian" guilt-free, and if anyone cringes (or can't figure it out) that's on them. 🙂😄🙂

WTH is wrong with the Detroit PO??!!!?

I bought an item on the bay. The seller didn't ship for a solid week. I messaged him, and he explained that he had personal issues, and would ship immediately, which he did...from California. I'm in Michigan, so it's a near cross-country trip.

Side rant: I love when I buy something on Ebay, and the seller charges 15 bucks for shipping, which would indicate Priority Mail, and then they ship via First Class for 4 bucks.

Anyway, CA to MI, so I'm thinking a week. Except the friggin inept Detroit PO received my package, and instead of routing it north to me, they sent it to Toledo Ohio, and Toledo promptly sent it back to Detroit.

Wonderful.

20230527_164049.jpg

Where next, Chicago? Don't laugh.

Last year I ordered a razor from The Razor Company in Keego Harbor, MI, which is in my home state. The razor went from Keego Harbor to the Detroit PO, and they sent it to suburban Chicago. It's like the Detroit PO is the Bermuda Triangle of post offices. 😄😄😄

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
WTH is wrong with the Detroit PO??!!!?

I bought an item on the bay. The seller didn't ship for a solid week. I messaged him, and he explained that he had personal issues, and would ship immediately, which he did...from California. I'm in Michigan, so it's a near cross-country trip.

Side rant: I love when I buy something on Ebay, and the seller charges 15 bucks for shipping, which would indicate Priority Mail, and then they ship via First Class for 4 bucks.

Anyway, CA to MI, so I'm thinking a week. Except the friggin inept Detroit PO received my package, and instead of routing it north to me, they sent it to Toledo Ohio, and Toledo promptly sent it back to Detroit.

Wonderful.

View attachment 1661327

Where next, Chicago? Don't laugh.

Last year I ordered a razor from The Razor Company in Keego Harbor, MI, which is in my home state. The razor went from Keego Harbor to the Detroit PO, and they sent it to suburban Chicago. It's like the Detroit PO is the Bermuda Triangle of post offices. 😄😄😄
Good luck filing a complaint with them also. The Norco PO never put a box of stones I ordered in my mailbox but because their GPS says they did, they denied my claim. Twice. I had to re-order the stones and tell the seller to use UPS instead and I would pay the difference. It was cheaper than paying for the stones again and chance not getting them again.

Every time I sharpen a knife with one of those stones I'm reminded to use another carrier besides USPS.

~doug~

So, my shaving journey has led me from DE razors, to shavettes, and then to straight razors.

Recently I've been dabbling with SR shaving, with mixed results. Picked up three shave ready razors, a strop, a finishing stone, and some lapping film.

I haven't lapped a razor into shaving shape yet, but likewise haven't been able to get a satisfactory shave with any of the three which were honed by the experts.

I suspect a couple of reasons:

1. My expectations are too high.

I've gotten pretty good with my collection of shavettes over the last 6 weeks and can get achieve a DFS with no problem. Not as close as DE, but very, very nice. Even with my Sedef and Parker half-blade shavettes. My Feather and Kai AC shavettes are a no brainer, near autopilot shave.

If I lather up and shave straight down my cheek with the SR, I expect a similar reduction of stubble that I am accustomed to when using the shavettes, which is just not the case.

Which is to say: I expected the same level of performance from a straight razor, which may be unrealistic.

2. I don't seem to have the patience to gain the required experience with a straight razor.

As it stands, it would take me over an hour to achieve even a SAS with a straight razor, and I would need to clean it up with a shavette or a DE razor, and I just don't want to work that hard.

So, for today's shave, I took one swipe down one cheek with one of my straight razors and felt the result. Disgusted (disappointed) I grabbed my Parker shavette and went over the same area.

Result: smooth.

I finished the pass with the Parker and rinsed, noting the areas I missed. At this point I just wanted a close, easy shave, so I picked up my trusty Game Changer 68P with a fresh Astra SP for my second and third pass.

Ah-Ha! Magic!

After fiddling about for nearly two months with the barber razors, and straight razors, shaving with my DE was like hanging out with an old friend: relaxed, comfortable and drama-free.

The shave went quickly, and the result was DFS+ (my designation for near BBS), and I was amazed (had forgotten) how EASY it was.

I intend to continue dabbling I SR shaving (and honing the razors), and my shavettes will always be a part of my regular rotation but nothing beats a good, reliable, friendly DE shave.

I know how it feels to go through all that myself, never talked publicly about where I am currently. Occasionally, I mention that I still use my Feather DXs at least once a week. The thing is, I have tasted success and it it's worse than where you are at. I am quite capable of producing a very enjoyable edge on my SRs, but that is where the problem lys for me. It doesn't take me any longer to shave with a properly honed SR than a barber razor, but the constant maintenance is ridiculous! I know that means my edges aren't as good as I think they are, yada, yada. It's just impossible to have a shave ready razor when you need one unless you are more disciplined than I am. I 100% would have been a SR shaver in the '50s and '60s, but the Blackbird really shook things up in my den! Yet I still don't feel any sense of danger using an SR, which is a commonly sited reason for shaving slowly. I love taking big whole blade swipes, something an AC razors can't duplicate! I'm conflicted and lazy, but I like to read how other people are doing.

I know how it feels to go through all that myself, never talked publicly about where I am currently. Occasionally, I mention that I still use my Feather DXs at least once a week. The thing is, I have tasted success and it it's worse than where you are at. I am quite capable of producing a very enjoyable edge on my SRs, but that is where the problem lys for me. It doesn't take me any longer to shave with a properly honed SR than a barber razor, but the constant maintenance is ridiculous! I know that means my edges aren't as good as I think they are, yada, yada. It's just impossible to have a shave ready razor when you need one unless you are more disciplined than I am. I 100% would have been a SR shaver in the '50s and '60s, but the Blackbird really shook things up in my den! Yet I still don't feel any sense of danger using an SR, which is a commonly sited reason for shaving slowly. I love taking big whole blade swipes, something an AC razors can't duplicate! I'm conflicted and lazy, but I like to read how other people are doing.

I'm comfortable with a straight razor and my grips have improved by using the shavettes for a while before move to the straights.

Part of the reason it takes so long for me to shave with the SR is where my technique needs improvement, but the main problem is the number of passes I would need vs the shavettes. It seems I need to do twice as many passes to get the same, or similar result. The shavettes just seem way more efficient.

Maybe it's entirely my fault. I just don't have a burning desire to devote the required attention to the process.

So, the SR adventure continues.

Since my last post I have acquired a few sharpening stones and several $15 ebay razors, to work on my honing skills.

Screenshot_20230708_160512_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230708_160314_Gallery.jpg

I had already purchased three razors, ready to shave, and attempted a few shaves as outlined in a previous post, but my goal here is to hone a razor myself and use it for a DFS shave.

If I am unable to put a shaving edge one a razor, the alternative is sending the razors out to have each one sharpened, which is time consuming and costs around $20-30 per razor. I've decided that if I am going to continue, I must learn to maintain my razors.

Additionally, I found out very quickly that the SR shaving process has many nuances (variables) that make shaving very challenging for a n00b shaver.

The first obstacle...nuance...variable is the razor itself, specifically the edge. As a new shaver to the SR realm, I had no idea what a "shave ready" razor meant, other than what I had read. So, as a n00b, you get a razor from a source who claims it is shave ready, but it is blind faith without a reference.

With a DE or shavette if the razor don't cut hair you replace the blade. If it still don't shave, well, it's time to look in the mirror and figure out what the dude looking back at you is doing wrong.

Variable number two is technique, of course.

If your razor is honed properly and shaving-sharp you the next challenge is your technique. Having shaved with DE and SE razors for over a year, I had a solid understanding of prep and lather. I have also been shaving with shavettes for a few months, so the I'm comfortable holding the razor, and more important (to me) I'm over the fear of scraping face with an open blade. Confidence!

Anyway, onto the honing.

In addition to the stones, my first attempt at honing was using glass plates with lapping film. I set the bevel using 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper on the glass, the worked through the progression of films to polish the edge.

Side bar:

I used the above method to hone one of my razors (a vintage Boker from the 'bay) and tried shaving with it. The resulting shave was not what I expected (compared to my DE and shavettes) and I asked for help in the SR Shave Clinic forum.

A generous member offered to hone one of my razors, so I deliberately sent him the Boker, and asked him to evaluated the edge I had put on it. After he tried shaving with it, he said (surprise!!!) that the edge was fine...my edge! Joy! He cleaned the razor, touched it up, and returned it to me.

Most important however, is now I know I'm capable, and if my razors don't shave the problem is my technique.

Onto today's shave, which is a sort of milestone for me:

"RITEHA" razor (ebay, honed and stropped by me)
MdC Agrumes
Omega boar
Avon Island Lime

Screenshot_20230708_170950_Gallery.jpg

So, I took my time - almost an hour - minded my pressure and blade angle and got a pretty good first pass WTG. Not perfect, and not as good as a DE or shavette, but hair definite reduction.

On the second pass (XTG on cheeks, WTG on neck/chin/mustache area) I realized that NOW I was making progress. On the rinse my cheeks were SMOOTH. Yay!

I could have stopped here and had a shave that was a bit better than socially acceptable, but went for an ATG pass on my cheeks, and then put down the SR. That was enough, and the bits that were left, I finished with my Razorock 68P: ATG on my neck, under my nose, and my chin. I noticed that the DE gave me zero feedback on my cheeks in all directions indicating that the $15 ebay razor, honed by me, had indeed given me a BBS in three passes.

Ah-Ha!

(I can do this. 🙂)

Last edited:
Try shipping from Canada to the UK...damn. My moment was the Lambda Athena...I had never seen a razor as gorgeous, efficient and packaged so beautifully for such an incredible price.

Today I did something which I have never done in the short time that I have been using DE razors.

Loaded a fresh Nacet into my Razorock GC 68P, a razor that I've used MANY times, and and a razor that has rewarded me with MANY wonderful shaves...one of my favorite shavers.

Face lathered with a La Toja stick and had a first pass (WTG)...and had a bit more left over stubble than usual.

Oh well, first pass, beard reduction and all that, on to pass two and three (XTG/ATG)...and I was surprised (shocked, really) by the amount of stubble left. Much more noticeable than my normal touchup-needed-after-three-passes amount of stubble.

I'm a Astra SP guy. I've always gotten great 3-pass shaves with no irritation. To this point with the Nacet I got a sub-par 3-pass shave that would have required a LOT of touchup to get my usual DFS+...and likely would have left my face very angry...

...so I pitched the Nacet and loaded a new Astra SP, had one more ATG pass and my "normal" touchup, and got my usual, and expected result. In fact, I got quite a bit of audible feedback from the Astra after three passes with the Nacet.

I've only been doing this for about a year and a half, but have NEVER pitched a blade mid-shave. I'm not dogging Nacet or giving up after one blade as this might be an anomaly, but if I get a couple more shaves like this there may soon be a PIF of the remaining 95 Nacet blades.

Top Bottom