What's new

My 2nd and 3rd brushes

I am new to turning and am using someone else's lathe and shop, so my time to work on such things is pretty limited, but here are my 2nd and 3rd brushes. The first is curly maple and the 2nd is stabilized maple burl. Both are a similar shape which i really like the feel in the hand.
20190413_220715.jpg
20190427_124047.jpg
Both have CA finish, which went better on the curly maple. I think I have worked out the kinks on the finish though. The plan is to get to the point of selling on etsy or something, but i am a ways from that yet.

I would appreciate thoughts and/or input!

They both look exceptional. It is nice to see brushes being turned in this shape. I hold my brushes deep in my palm with my fingers almost to the knot. I do not see many brushes set up this way as everyone seems to want to follow the old school shapes of yesteryear. Very nice work sir.

Thank you. That is exactly my intent with this shape. The ridges near the knot have been hard to duplicate right, but i love putting my index finger on there when using the brush. The curly maple went to a co-worker, and the burl is mine - my absolute favorite brush (TGN 2 band finest super knot was a bit of a splurge but my goodness it's an amazing feeling knot!)

Do not hesitate on selling on Etsy! I find myself constantly amazed how powerfully beautiful people find the stuff I make. Just little ole me, and people find my stuff amazingly beautiful. Aside from being a huge ego boost, it is a nice side hustle. It finances further investment into my new business. Me, with a business? Crazy, I say! Crazy! But people love what I make. Do yourself that same favor, list away!

Thanks gents. The last time I was in the shop I messed up several handles, including a new shorter, wider shape meant for face lathering. I walked out of there quite frustrated and your compliments encourage me. I hope to get back in the shop some time this week. I also need to order some more burl...

I had some time on the lathe this evening and made my first polyresin brush. It turned out amazing and I am feeling great about it. I am covered in sharp little shards and chips of blue resin. Those hurt a lot more than I expected. It convinced me to get a face mask. Goggles and a dust mask just dont quite cut it any more. I made the brush for a mentor of mine. It was supposed to be for fathers day, but it will be a bit late. Better late than never.

I will post pictures tomorrow when the knot epoxy is cured.

Thanks! I enjoyed making it and the finished product. But sorry, it's already been given away so I can't measure the flat of the base. If you're looking for perspective, it's a 24mm knot. The loft is at about 51mm.

Top Bottom