What's new

My 1st use of tabac shaving soap

Ok so let me start off with the nice....I like the scent it is pretty much the same as the aftershave and I liked that heaps I love musky scents....it did lather up fairly easily...I’m part German and this is German so that’s cool( no I can’t speak it lol) like that it comes with a bit of foil so you can place it back over the top when you are finished.....now for the bad (and part that counts most for me)...ok so the cushion was meh...the slickness was meh...post shave was meh...after hearing it was so great for many years and ending up with this result made my eye raise a bit....maybe it’s my hard water I will try tmo with some distilled water and see if that improves it... so I love the scent but atm the performance is lacking for me just my opinion and that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t use it..ofc I would and will...just at this stage would I ever buy it once I ran out of shaving soap...probably not currently I’d rate this a 5/10 pretty average

Attachments

• C38D5327-9D6C-42B3-8309-0698C34953A7.jpeg
    C38D5327-9D6C-42B3-8309-0698C34953A7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 51
  • A814CF0C-C94D-468E-9626-1604F7CE9BEC.jpeg
    A814CF0C-C94D-468E-9626-1604F7CE9BEC.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 57
  • FA6517C7-994B-4802-A5E7-4211BCB85759.jpeg
    FA6517C7-994B-4802-A5E7-4211BCB85759.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 76
  • 3005083A-6A97-4671-8962-E206792C9DCD.jpeg
    3005083A-6A97-4671-8962-E206792C9DCD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 78
Last edited by a moderator:
It's your water and/or your technique. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.
I’m thinking it may be my water as well because I’ve had difficulty getting lather with some soaps that others seem to do with ease then when I used distilled water it worked like a charm

It’s not your water, I live in Adelaide and our water is hard.. I get a very slick lather from tabac so has to be your technique

I would guess that you havnt hydrated it enough and may be in the dry side. Tabac lathers easy and you get a ‘fluffy’ cushiony lather first, need to add more water

I havnt used my tabac for ages but will give it a crack tomorrow, I used to absolutely love the slickness off tabac

Mm we will see tmo I’ll do multiple different tests... one lather 30s one 1m one harder scrub one softer one with a ton of water one with not much and see if any of them are a improvement over what I had

I've just started a thread too about tabac being not slick at all for me, I'll try more water today too, will let you know if it worked.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Tabac is superb for me, it is the best soap I have ever used without exception. I have soft water and start with a damp brush and dry puck. I have never bloomed any puck of soap. I do about 20 swirls of the brush and paint the thick paste on my face. I repeatedly dip the tips to add water as I face lather until I have the consistency I want. My procedure is the same for every soap and it never fails for me.

Once you ‘dial in’ your Tabac, it will provide one great lather after another! (Just a prediction.) :a29:

ok so today was a bit more success I went for a 30 ish (bit less) load and it was a bit thicker and there was some form of slickness there so my problem was not enough soap..at this stage I’ll rate it between 6-7/10 due to it was thicker...I’ll try tmo with a 1m or close enough load and get as much as I possibly can see if we can add some slickness to the mix ...add a point or two to the score

That's because the soap is new and needs a little "break in". Try to add some water over the puck and leave the soaps adsorb it overnight.

I forgot how much I enjoyed the Tabac scent!! but that aside it took no time at all to whip up a fantastic slick lather, this soap is a classic for a reason.

my load my of been approx 30 seconds with a 24mm yaqi mew brown knot, plenty of lather for three passes, and got a really nice sheen to it, thats when you know it is properly hydrated.

keep at it mate, once you nail it you will love the lather it produces.

IMG_8172.JPG

This is very surprising, tbh I didn't think it was possible to not get great lather from Tabac!
Common sense says it must be of course but it does seem to be very amenable to almost anything you throw at it.
My biggest "problem" with Tabac is the residual.slickness is such that it's difficult to use fingers to stretch skin as they slip right off!

Top Bottom