What's new

My 17 Year Razor Search is Over: Strange but True!

No indeed. I've gotten extraordinary shaves out of my $5.00 razor, a bar of Ivory soap, and no brush! That said, my razor collection is well north of four figures so I completely understand the impulse.:whistling:
As others have said, congratulations. To be honest, I can see how the high-end razors can be more durable, be made with a higher degree of precision, have better quality control, be more free from defects, and of course look far better and be much cooler. But why should it be shocking that a cheap razor works well for you? Or cheap soap, for that matter, though my dry skin does not do well with Ivory soap. Proraso shaving soap, is praised by many here, works well enough for me though it isn't my top choice, is apparently only 3 euros in the EU, and can be found for not much more online, plus shipping, of course. My Merkur 34C, also praised by many here, was $30 shipped, and no doubt costs a lot less in the EU. Most of the vintage razors many here like so much are cheap.
Don't get me wrong, your rare collectors' items are fantastic and worthy of envy. But I'm not surprised you don't need them to get a good shave.

Definitely give it a try. What I love about it is it's smoothness. It's the smoothest, most forgiving razor I've ever used, but it's perfectly capable of getting me to BBS in 3 passes. In my experience, the sharper the blade, the better it performs. YMMV.

I think zamac gets a bad rap. In all likelihood I'll need to replace one because I've lost while traveling! I never did a formal review of the razor, but I'm guessing I'm also not the first guy to buy a bunch just in case. A great many DE shavers have a hoarding gene that manifests in strange ways...:001_tongu
Yes definitely will be trying it, reason I haven't is that I have a Gillette Tech and got these for "starter razor" in case any of my friends wants to try de shaving, is it really more efficient compared to a Gillette Tech? I guess I'll find out soon enough. It actually looks like a high end safety razor with the chome finish and best of all the blade fit has no play and it covers the end tabs.
I got 2 myself so I definitely have the hoarder gene. I'm glad you brought this up.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Dovo, I finally took the TECK II for a drive today and it did its job. The head has a lot to offer some one who does not like overhang of a blade, centers its self and best of all has excellent clamping design. The shaver is a mild one for sure and it is very forgiving and really enjoyed the shave by taking down a two day growth with out a issue.
I received a DFS on a 3 1/2 pass (Personna Red{2), a very good shaver with people with sensitive skin.
A think it is a good daily driver with 2 passes for a DFS>BBS for me. I really like the RR 37 slant and 2 1/2 passes with it is just right for a BBS every time almost.
The RR Tech II razor head has been sitting in the cupboard for 2 months, I bought the razor mainly for its handle, really like its handle on the RR DE1 razor which is the same Tech II head.

Last edited:
I'm glad you gave it a shot! It's not a razor for everyone that's for sure. This razor is definitely at the bottom of the "aggressiveness" scale. It's core competency is "Damn Comfortable Shave". All my other razors "tug" around my chin on the ATG pass which is unpleasant. The Teck II is a smooth as smooth an be, and is the most comfortable razor I've ever used. Like you mentioned, another of it's virtues is blade alignment; it's perfect every single time with no adjustment necessary or even possible. It's the perfect "beginners" razor.

I get what you're saying about liking the efficiency of fewer passes for a closer shave with a more aggressive razor. I've definitely enjoyed that in the past. These days though, what I'm looking for is a DFS>BBS shave with no tugging and zero skin irritation. The Teck II delivers.

I still like to experiment with aggressive razors, but the Teck II always calls me back home...:001_smile

Top Bottom