What's new

My 17 Year Razor Search is Over: Strange but True!

I just finished RazoRocktober using the DE1 (same head as Teck II with different handle) and I'm at 26 shaves on a GSB blade. It's smooth and almost as efficient as my German 37 slant.

They really are great little razors. Hard to ask more of a razor than 26 efficient, comfortable shaves on a single blade! Gillette Silver Blues are a favorite of mine as well. If you haven't tried a Perma-Sharp Super, it's worth picking up a tuck. They're very similar blades produced in the same factory, but for me, the Perma-Sharp Supers get buttery smooth after about 10 shaves, and just sit in that sweet spot for weeks.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I find RazoRock heads some of the best in the business and will have to try that one down the road, good for you to find the Holy grail of Razors in your search for the illusive shaver.

Congratulations! Just goes to show that you don't need expensive gear for good shaves.

No indeed. I've gotten extraordinary shaves out of my $5.00 razor, a bar of Ivory soap, and no brush! That said, my razor collection is well north of four figures so I completely understand the impulse.:whistling:

They really are great little razors. Hard to ask more of a razor than 26 efficient, comfortable shaves on a single blade! Gillette Silver Blues are a favorite of mine as well. If you haven't tried a Perma-Sharp Super, it's worth picking up a tuck. They're very similar blades produced in the same factory, but for me, the Perma-Sharp Supers get buttery smooth after about 10 shaves, and just sit in that sweet spot for weeks.

I'll put the Perma-Sharp Supers on my list. I already like the Silver Blue and Sharp Edge blades. This factory seems to know what they're doing.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I'll put the Perma-Sharp Supers on my list. I already like the Silver Blue and Sharp Edge blades. This factory seems to know what they're doing.
I have to agree, the blades I have been using have been excellent. Astra, Polsilver, 7oclock-green, Nacet have all given me BBS & DFS for me.

They definitely know what they're doing. Here's a couple of the blades they're putting out:

Permasharp Super
Gillette Silver Blue
Polsilver Super Iridium
Nacet
Astra
Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge

This is like a dream-team from where I sit, and the list is not exhaustive. The only blade in my top 5 not on this list is Feather. Gillette built the plant in 2000 and has been steadily expanding it's capacity up to around 1 Billion blades per year. I hope they stay extremely profitable and they never shut it down. I'm going to do my part by buying up as many as I can.:punk:

Well my 17 year search for the perfect razor has finally ended. I have found my holy grail. It did not end with the Iwasaki Tamahagane Western straight razor in NIB condition with 1901-6 serial number (possibly the last one ever made). That would make sense. Not the case though.

My holy grail razor, is the one pictured to the right. What is it you might wonder? It is the Teck II from Razorock upgraded with a donor handle.

I. Am. Not. Kidding.

I actually got it free with an order last year, because I spent over $100 on the order. The stupid things only cost $5. I only know the actual price because I just bought 3 more to ensure I am never without one for my remaining decades on this planet. Make no mistake, it is a cheap Chinese zamak piece of crap. It is also basically magic for me.

When I pair it with a Perma-sharp Super, it's like some weird voodoo magic happens. The first time I shaved with this combo I literally checked to see if I had forgotten to put the blade in. It was that smooth for me. I had always stretched my blades to see how long I could go with them. The longest I had previously gone was 2 weeks, and it was unpleasant. With the Perma-sharp and Teck II, I was able to go for over 50 days on the same blade with effortless DFS every single day. YMMV.

I'm not a Razorock fanboy. Although I do like their soaps, most of their razors are just rebadged Chinese or Indian manufactured chromed up zamak paperweights. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I don't know why the razor gods mock me in this way, but there is no point in arguing. I think I'm done looking. I will not bother emptying Ebay of prewar NIB Gillettes in a desperate search to find something more dignified with equivalent performance. I no longer believe that a better razor for my particular whiskers/skin/technique exists. Strange but true!

proxy.php
That's wonderful! I had a similar experience, not 17 years of searching though. More like 3.

Found my Holy Grail DE as the HTGAM TTO Razor after searching through several $200 and $300 safety razors.

I got it right with the first blade I used with it--Crystal Super Platinum Plus Blade.

Congrats!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

I believe I've found my perfect razor - a '46/'47 Aristocrat. I wasn't super excited when I found it, as I had only started collecting a couple months earlier, and didn't fully realize what I had, but once I used it a few times, I realized it would be the one razor that I would never part with.
That doesn't mean that I've stopped looking for a better razor! The '41 Ranger Tech I got last month is a serious contender for the #1 spot.

I've got a Teck 2 with a long handle I'll trade you for the Iwasaki! :laugh:

They are a great razor. Techs have been my favorite DE so I figured I'd try one of those when they came out. $7 for a head and long handle was a great deal. Works just as good as my Gillette's do.

I've got a Teck 2 with a long handle I'll trade you for the Iwasaki! :laugh:

They are a great razor. Techs have been my favorite DE so I figured I'd try one of those when they came out. $7 for a head and long handle was a great deal. Works just as good as my Gillette's do.

It's a tempting offer, but I'm going to hang onto my Iwasaki Tamahagane Western. I went out looking a second one but the ones in pristine condition are selling north of $2,000. Luckily, the Teck II was on sale for $4.99 the Italian Barber! I decided to get a few more...:001_tt1:

proxy.php

This site is about sharing and seeking shaving experiences. If someone says they found their ideal shaving equipment, how could argue with them? Why would you want to? It's a bold statement to make to claim you guaranteed found your ideal lifetime shaving equipment perhaps but let the person that made the claim the task of standing by it. Realize that hundreds of millions claim that multi blade cartridge razors and canned goods provides the ideal shaving experience.

I propose to declare this thread as the thread of the month :) Thank you for sharing your experience Dovo1965, you got a great price for these Teck IIs too! :001_005:

You can also get it for $37 on Amazon if you like a red stripe on the handle and a nice looking box with lifetime warranty but it's not Razorock brand.
Most know the brand it's sold under but I won't mention it, but it has close to 4000 positive reviews mostly from first time users of de razors.
I have a couple Razorock de1 but have not gotten a chance to use them, I got them for friends that would be interested in trying de razor, yesterday my roommate returned it because he got a nick and also didn't like the feel of the brush which was a Plissoft and an S brush and also returned a Proraso Green, Arko puck and TOBS sandalwood.

I didn't think he even tried it, but after seeing him hold the Polsilver blades on both the sharp ends and complained that "this thing can kill you" and showed me how it cut him, I'm kinda glad he returned it. He was so scared looking at the razor with the blade in it he returned everything including both brushes that was dry and the unopened nick stick. I recommended watching some videos first and also showed him how to lather. Anyways to get back on topic, I will go ahead and try the de1 after reading this and a review I read of someone buying 3 more as backup knowing it was made of Zamak, was that you @Dovo1695 ?

Anyways to get back on topic, I will go ahead and try the de1 after reading this and a review I read of someone buying 3 more as backup knowing it was made of Zamak, was that you @Dovo1695 ?

Definitely give it a try. What I love about it is it's smoothness. It's the smoothest, most forgiving razor I've ever used, but it's perfectly capable of getting me to BBS in 3 passes. In my experience, the sharper the blade, the better it performs. YMMV.

I think zamac gets a bad rap. In all likelihood I'll need to replace one because I've lost while traveling! I never did a formal review of the razor, but I'm guessing I'm also not the first guy to buy a bunch just in case. A great many DE shavers have a hoarding gene that manifests in strange ways...:001_tongu

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It's the smoothest, most forgiving razor I've ever used, but it's perfectly capable of getting me to BBS in 3 passes. In my experience, the sharper the blade, the better it performs. YMMV.

Its considered by many as a "beginners" DE razor, but that doesnt mean it wont shave very well. The Gillette Tech also makes a great "beginners" razor being mild and forgiving, but that certainly makes them no less a great razor.

Top Bottom