What's new

MWF (Tallow) like-for-like replacement?

I started using MWF in response to the demise of Aramis Shaving Soap (of sainted memory). Someone here suggested using an unscented soap with a few drops of cologne added to the lather. That sounded easier than using a micro-plane grater, mixing in the cologne, and forming a new puck out of the shredded goo. It worked fine.

Now they've come for MWF and I'm looking for a substitute. I only ask that it be unscented and contain tallow. It's not that I object to vegan formulations, although they probably make a lot of noise while being grated. I'm just a bit set in my ways.

So:

1) Is there an easy, straight-up substitute for MWF? Unscented, tallow, any cake size?
2) Failing that is there any tallow-based soap that has a St.-John's-Bay-Rum OR Royall-Lyme OR Pomme-de-Pin scent?
3) Failing that what is the least-scented tallow shaving soap?

I'm not deeply attached to any shaving mug I own so cake size is not an issue.

Thanks

I am a fan of tallow MWF and fortunately I stocked up on the tallow version :)

For a hard soap, DR Harris Windsor is fairly light scent (citrus)

If you're OK with softer soaps:
Stirling has Sheep (Mutton Tallow and lanolin) and Naked and Smooth (Beef Tallow and Lanolin) both unscented and perform really well. Stirling also has Unscented with Beeswax that is beef tallow and gets rave reviews but I haven't tried that one.
Zingari Man Sego Unscented performs really well
Noble Otter Bare is unscented and performs really well

I enjoyed the MWF ‘tallow’ during this morning’s shave!!

Sadly, I have yet to find an adequate substitute. :sob::sob:

In all honesty I find Razorocks What The Puck and Arko! both to be equal in performance to MWF. Arko! being just a touch better.

MWF wins in scent tho hands down. I have read that the new tallow free version is good and smells the same.

Jay

I am a fan of tallow MWF and fortunately I stocked up on the tallow version :)

For a hard soap, DR Harris Windsor is fairly light scent (citrus)

If you're OK with softer soaps:
Stirling has Sheep (Mutton Tallow and lanolin) and Naked and Smooth (Beef Tallow and Lanolin) both unscented and perform really well. Stirling also has Unscented with Beeswax that is beef tallow and gets rave reviews but I haven't tried that one.
Zingari Man Sego Unscented performs really well
Noble Otter Bare is unscented and performs really well
Mr. Panda:

I'm willing to give Stirling a shot as I still have a last-helicopter-out-of-Saigon MWF Tallow puck inbound.
Their product line seems like it may cover my scent requests as well. So I'm going to do a sample snack pack of Sheep, Naked and Smooth, Bay Rum, Lime, and Coniferous. If either of the scentless animals works out I'll be eternally (until they discontinue these) grateful. If the scented versions are winners as well I'll be happy to submit your name to the barbershop equivalent of the Nobel Prize committee.

Last edited:
For what it's worth -- and this is not exactly "replacement" --
but I am a great fan of MWF. I have narrowed down the soaps in my regular rotation a lot. In fact I only use three soaps in my regular rotation now: MWF, Cella "brick", and Vitos "extra super".
These three do not perform exactly the same, but I feel they are comparable in performance, all superior to most other soaps I know, and all fairly scent-netural. This last bit is of course subjective, but I find the almond/cherry scent of respectively Cella/Vitos to be quite mild and non-intruding, like the scent of MWF.
And, both Cella and Vitos are tallow based, and very reasonably priced.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I think Nil, by Canadian soap manufacturer Bartigan and Stark is a good quality unscented tallow soap. Easy to lather, user friendly and comes in a compact tin. Sadly however, nothing will replace MWF.

Mr. Panda:

I'm willing to give Stirling a shot as I still have a last-helicopter-out-of-Saigon MWF Tallow puck inbound.
Their product line seems like it may cover my scent requests as well. So I'm going to do a sample snack pack of Sheep, Naked and Smooth, Bay Rum, Lime, and Coniferous. If either of the scentless animals works out I'll be eternally (until they discontinue these) grateful. If the scented versions are winners as well I'll be happy to submit your name to the barbershop equivalent of the Nobel Prize committee.
Many of Stirling's scented soaps are too strongly scented for me - well most scented soaps are too strongly scented for me. If it's a scent I like but just too strong, I will very lightly load my brush on a scented soap (I mean BARELY any soap on the bristles) and then finish loading the brush from the unscented Naked and Smooth. This has worked really well for me to get a hint of scent without being overpowering.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’d recommend Stirling Unscented with Beeswax. No lanolin, but a tallow base.

Boellis Panama is a tallow soap, but seems in short supply at the moment for the refills. And of course D.R. Harris current formula is tallow based.

Pretty sure Mike’s does a scent free, but his limes is good too. I love his coconut, and have a bunch of orange, cedarwood, pepper. I’m pretty picky about scent profiles/strengths too.

Sterling’s unscented are really good. (My MWF replacement after I run dry on those)

Hasslinger’s Aloe Vera is the only scent of theirs I can put up with and their veggie preforms identically to their old tallows

To my knowlegde MWF is unique in how it billows when adding water to the proto-lather fresh from the puck. I attribute this to the presence of a few unique ingredients (sodium silicate = water glass, and sodium gluconate = E576, possibly aided by a pinch of ordinary table salt). The tallow is much less of an issue as this can, in the hands of a skilled soap maker with some understanding of the chemistry involved, be replaced. So alas, no replacement of MWF is possible unless you begin experimenting with adding the mentioned components yourself.

But to be honest... tallow is a disappearing ingredient, as shaving soaps are seen as a luxury product, so aimed at people who can afford such things; and these people tend to be somewhat critical on what they put on their face. I'm not claiming their reasoning is consistent, just that they are critical. In conclusion I think your efforts are better spent in looking for a solid non-tallow product of which there are many by now, and then stock up in preparation for the inevitable reformulation.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
If you are that keen on tallow MWF then surely it is possible to aquire it. I like Yardley soaps and have more than 20 pucks, quite a few of which are sealed, and I purchased all of them in the last few years. As Yardley ceased shaving soap production in the 1980s then surely it is no harder to source than tallow MWF. Buy what you like is my advice 👍

If you are that keen on tallow MWF then surely it is possible to aquire it.
I went through that with Aramis Shaving Soap - all seven stages per Elisabeth Kübler-Ross.

– Shock or Disbelief
– Denial
– Anger
– Bargaining
– Guilt
– Depression
– Acceptance and Hope

So now that I'm allegedly an adult (open to question) I thought I'd just leap over those hurdles in a single bound and go straight to "Aloha - Book 'em Danno."

Which is to say find the next best, or even possibly better, thing and keep on rolling.

Mr. Panda:

Stirling Unscented Beeswax is a heckuva soap.

Top Bottom