What's new

MWF, Schafmilch, Lanolin and Allergies

It drives me crazy, but I can live with it. But I'd like to try all these soaps with lanolin, but I had excema as a child. My dermatologist told me to avoid lanolin. The science is fuzzy on whether excema continues into adulthood. Are their any members that use lanolin soaps that have/had excema?

I have moderate eczema on my ears and elbows. I use Stirling Soaps and they have lanolin. I have not noticed any difference in my eczema. If anything, the stuff on my elbows went away after using Stirling bath soap.

Of course, you should listen to your Dermatologist. I'm just telling you my experience.

Captain

Would using a lanolin containing soap once or twice on your face create a significant response from your skin? If it would then staying away from lanolin containing soaps would be a good idea, but if one or two tries isn't that damaging, you could always try it out. Stirling has good sized samples, so you could get one of those and try it for a few shaves to see what it does for you. That being said, I would trust your dermatologist and also ask him for a couple resources or academic papers on the subject.
From what I've heard, Haslinger soaps other than schafmilch don't have lanolin but still have very good post-shave properties. Maybe something to look into.

First, welcome to B&B, sir straight hair.

Re allergies, that's a really nebulous topic.
some folks have allergies come, go, only later to return with vengeance.
As above, really discuss with your derm or even an allergist.
if you were sensitive at earlier age, s/he might say why risk when there are so many other great options.
perhaps they will say it would be fine for occasional use.
Enjoy your journey!

I'm not going to run out of soaps to try has been my line of thinking. There's no need to pressure myself. The question was in my mind, so I thought I should ask. I agree with the advise to bring it up with my dermatologist and buying a sample rather than blowing money on a full puck. Now that I think of it. I had to return some wool socks I bought accidentally because I got a red rash on my shins.

I was sure I had a lanolin allergy/sensitivity, and it kept me from trying MWF for a long time. I got a sample, tested it on the inside of my elbow (advice from a B&Ber...), was OK, shaved with the sample, and had no reaction (other than enjoying the shave and post-shave feel!).

So...I'd advise getting a sample and testing it...then if/when you're OK...get some and shave on!

I'd like to ask some of you a question. I was shaving for quite a while with soaps that did not contain lanolin and I was solid. Since I started incorporating a number of soaps containing lanolin (Mystic Waters and CRSW), I started noticing a good bit of irritation around my nose and I started getting more acne around my nose. Now, my nose is probably my most sensitive area, especially the area between my nose and upper lip, but it was just something I noticed. Sometimes during the day, my nose and lip itches quite a bit, its just weird. You would think if I were allergic to lanolin, I'd have serious irritation right? Like it would light up my face when I tried to lather something with that in it?

Just something interesting to me. Could be a coincidence.

I think that it will be tough to tell without actually trying these products. And your reaction may change over time!

Best of luck!

I am fine with lanolin but not so with Menthol. I just keep the lather away from the more sensitive parts of my face like my high cheek bones.

I am fine with lanolin, but am allergic to sheep's milk. Pecorino is like coming down with the flu. I have seen well reviewed soap with sheep's milk, but thankfully not as common a soap ingredient as lanolin.

Were you told you had an allergy or just that this may make the condition worse?

In that case, you should consider other Haslinger's options. I especially like sandalwood, sage, aloe vera, seaweed and coconut.

Top Bottom