What's new

MWF my 5 rules

So I did a little experiment today and tried loading less soap than normal (only loaded for like 5-8 seconds) and didn't shake out my brush before loading/added more water while lathering. Figured maybe not having enough product or too much water may result in a foamy/dissipating lather which some people have complained of. Still wound up with a nice creamy lather. Tomorrow I might try a drier/smaller brush to see what the outcome is.

I normally use a damp brush and load until I have a good amount of proto-lather coming over the sides of the container (which I usually rub on my face as a pre-shave). I don't really overthink it too much. Usually using a damp brush and wetting my face with the proto-lather is enough water to produce a good lather, but I've actually found it pretty forgiving if you add more water like I did today.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Wanted to use a more-or-less unscented soap ... nothing better that the Fat, right?

Hadn't used MWF in a year, puck was cracked and hard ... but no mold, importantly. (This is like the only soap I've ever had get pink "shower mold" on. Scraped off, luckily. If MWF wasn't so $$, I'd-a tossed the puck. Anyways.)

Soaked for a couple hours last night and it expanded! Pretty funny. Flipped it over in the dish. Soak and drain.

LLYHI (Loaded Like You Hate It) this morning ... with a synth, and a little bit longer work than many other soaps (ahem), was rewarded with really good, thick lather. Protective, slick; perfect in all ways.

Finicky? A little. Good? Very!

AA

If MWF wasn't so $$, I'd-a tossed the puck. Anyways.)

so $$?????

A refill puck of MWF is about $13 USD for 4.4 oz that will last a l o n g t i m e. Yes, it expensive compared to soaps like VDH, Arko, and William's, but when many artisan soaps go for $15-25+ for 4 oz tubs, MWF is very reasonably priced.

I have difficulty lathering MWF in my hard water so I do not use it as part of my normal rotation. However, once lathered, the performance of MWF is on par with some of the top artisan soaps.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
so $$?????

A refill puck of MWF is about $13 USD for 4.4 oz that will last a l o n g t i m e. Yes, it expensive compared to soaps like VDH, Arko, and William's, but when many artisan soaps go for $15-25+ for 4 oz tubs, MWF is very reasonably priced.

I have difficulty lathering MWF in my hard water so I do not use it as part of my normal rotation. However, once lathered, the performance of MWF is on par with some of the top artisan soaps.

Thought I paid like $20, but. It's not .99 Williams! :302:

Got amazing, 3-D lather with it today - but it keeps absorbing water and growing! Truthfully seen no other shave soap do this. Has expanded to fill the ramekin bowl.

AA

I've never had any problems lathering either way with MWF except when I first started wet shaving and couldn't bowl lather anything. Now it doesn't matter what I use, creamwise or soapwise, or how I lather, face or bowl, I can not not get great lather if I tried.

Except for Mystic. It is, shall I say?, a mystery to me.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
On a continuous roll with MWF; not sure why, myself. Think I'm just enjoying the Avon aftershaves so much, want a relatively unscented soap. Anyways.

It's expanded, and STILL keeps sucking up water ... still a cracked surface; perhaps if the brush wears it down?

Lather and feel really are great; it just takes a little longer to produce it than some.

I used to think this was an overpriced soap; maybe it is. But you use so little per shave - even the most expensive soap (cough, cough, MdC) really is no significant cost in one's daily life. Probably less than the day's wear on your clothes, and surely less than gasoline.

AA

Hi,

When I first started using Mitchell's Wool Fat I got thin, dry and not very slick lather leaving me with rough shaves and patches of irritation and fuzz. It wasn't a great experience overall.

I persevered and worked on it and looked at various videos and tips, as I knew it could be a great soap if I could work it out.

I now get fantastic shaves, lather and post shave skin feel is absolutely top class.

Top 5 things I do now.

1. I always cover the puck with water in the ceramic dish when I'm not using it. It keeps it hydrated, softer and 100 times easier to load the brush.

2. I always now use a synthetic brush. For some reason it just loads and lathers a hell of a lot better.

3. I load for twice the time as normal. I usually load for about 15 to 20 seconds, with MWF I load for 30 to 40.

4. I always face lather. Again, when I bowl lather it just isn't as good.

5. I carefully add water, a little bit at a time and keep working the water into the lather and my face. It doesn't seem to lower the volume but it makes it much slicker and hydrated. I also get better results with lukewarm water and not hot.

When I stick to these regimes I really think it stands with the best soaps I have used.

Cheers!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
That sounds pretty close to what I do with hard pucks. However, I don't know if keeping the puck in water is a good idea. It'll drastically shorten the life of the soap and it might not be good for the soap in general. I'd suggest blooming the soap maybe 10 min before the shave and dry it out aftewards.

Just given up on it after many attempts. I just can not get it to work for me. La Toja shave stick and Haslinger's Aloe Vera are perfect, and after wanting to find my perfect/favorite naturally (unscented?) shave soap, I kept going back to The Fat - no matter the water or the brush, lathering was always just to laborious.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I can't really explain why, but I've used it all week. Hydrated the puck by soaking, flipping it, dry cracked side down, soak some more.

It really is a spectacular soap, making mountains of thick lather - it just takes longer, an apparently, good water.

AA

I had a hard time with MWF when I first started using it. The "rules" I developed is 1) use LOTS of product, and 2) "work" the lather for a longer time than with other soaps -- i.e. once the brush is loaded and in my face (I face lather), I enjoy spending a Looong time whipping up MWF to get the lather to the consistency I want. With MWF, it is as if you need to work air into the lather, and then to work it out again, by "beating it down' to thick whipping cream consistency (just before it turns into butter)
Both regarding 1) and 2), I would prefer a boar brush any day to any other kind brush .... especially with MWF

Top Bottom