What's new

MWF my 5 rules

Hi,

When I first started using Mitchell's Wool Fat I got thin, dry and not very slick lather leaving me with rough shaves and patches of irritation and fuzz. It wasn't a great experience overall.

I persevered and worked on it and looked at various videos and tips, as I knew it could be a great soap if I could work it out.

I now get fantastic shaves, lather and post shave skin feel is absolutely top class.

Top 5 things I do now.

1. I always cover the puck with water in the ceramic dish when I'm not using it. It keeps it hydrated, softer and 100 times easier to load the brush.

2. I always now use a synthetic brush. For some reason it just loads and lathers a hell of a lot better.

3. I load for twice the time as normal. I usually load for about 15 to 20 seconds, with MWF I load for 30 to 40.

4. I always face lather. Again, when I bowl lather it just isn't as good.

5. I carefully add water, a little bit at a time and keep working the water into the lather and my face. It doesn't seem to lower the volume but it makes it much slicker and hydrated. I also get better results with lukewarm water and not hot.

When I stick to these regimes I really think it stands with the best soaps I have used.

Cheers!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Sir Monty!

Thanks for your report!

I have to confess, I violate all of the rules and get great MWF shaves!
It must be my Florida water!!

Cheers!

mwf-lathering-anim-dec-17-2014.gif

I soak my badger in my scuttle while I brush my teeth and take my vitamins. Then I shake out the excess water very slightly and gently. The lather builds quickly. Tabac is much the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During FFFMM I tried everything right, everything wrong, and everything in-between with MWF. Still got great lather and shaves. It contains Tetrasodium EDTA so it will lather extremely well with any water. Even mere painting strokes work brilliantly for lathering.

If I had to really think of a rule for MWF it would be to LOAD HEAVY. Nothing else is as critical.

I am one of those who has a difficult time loading and lathering MWF, but once lathered, it is as good as any soap in my den. Because I have so many great soaps that are not so difficult to lather, MWF is not in my lengthy rotation. If you are satisfied with using the same soap every day, MWF is an ideal choice for that soap.

79767EEF-F4CE-460A-93CF-72DB024E1511.jpeg
I’ve wanted to try MWF with a synthetic brush for a while, but I kept putting it off until I saw this thread this morning. I figured today was the day. Wow! I’m glad I did. I never had problems getting it to lather in the past, but I think the MWF/Synth combo is a REALLY good one. Thanks for the nudge.

I must just be lucky. I change soaps every five days to coincide with the five brushes I use when home. Before the first use of MWF (or Tabac, Haslinger, Cella) I put hot water on the soap and let it sit for about 30 seconds and pour the water out. This seems to sufficiently rehydrate the soap for the five consecutive days of use. I soak my brush (one boar and four badgers) in my mug while showering and then gently squeeze out the excess water from the brush and face lather. I do load the brush longer than most for 60 seconds and always have plenty of good lather for three passes. I use the same routine for all of my soaps except the rehydration step is not necessary for some of the softer soaps

I use the Kent version (rebadged MWF) and never had any problem to lather; I just grate the Kent refill to put it in a container.

After shaving I let the soap dry and put the lid on it at the end of the day. As for lathering, I load my synthetic brush (fully soaked) for 5 to 10s: from a soapy water the lather starts to build after a minute.

In my case, the MWF is likely the easiest soap to lather from.

I'm in the same camp as many of the other posters. Don't over-think it and just shave. No recipe, any brush, starting damp or wet - everything works. It *is* easier when the puck is used at least once a week and is not bone dry and cracked, but a few more loading swirls and all is good. Very hard water here.

Did another shave with Da Fat. Bone dry puck, 20 swirls with a wet boar brush, and it was ready for face lathering. Hard to lather they say - methinks not.

MWF is an amazing soap, and one I can confidently say is right up there with Valobra for me. The reason I like Valobra so much (and MWF) is that the lather is *creamy*. That's the best way I can describe it.

I never found MWF to be hard to lather I was kind of surprised by the amount of people who think it needs special treatment.

MWF is an amazing soap (just used it today in fact). I’ve never had lathering difficulties with it. I think the reputation this soap gets is slightly overblown.

MWF is an amazing soap (just used it today in fact). I’ve never had lathering difficulties with it. I think the reputation this soap gets is slightly overblown.

I believe it makes the best lather and feels great on the face. I noticed that from the first time I ever used it but many other soaps come close to it.

Top Bottom