What's new

MWF - Lather explodes off puck!

MWF has never presented any problems for me. It gives a great lather with boars, best badgers and even the softest of silvertips (high mountain). I like it best with the BEST grade of hair because it takes longer to build the lather with the silvertip.

Excellent video. I'm fortunate to be in the easy to lather/good shave camp with the Fat. I see a similar effect when I load from the puck, but I do load for a good 30-45 seconds and get a good protolather going on top of the puck first, before moving to the face or bowl to finish up.

Thanks. I will lather a bit longer as I'm usually in no hurry, just wanted to show that the Fat "can" lather rather quickly. Not sure I mentioned it in the video but I have hard well water. I should try it with the harder, cold water and see what happens...

I enjoyed the video. I have been getting great similar results from Mitchell's as well. It is one soap that I must always have. I noticed the bottle of Thayer's witch hazel, another great product.

Short video of tonight's MWF lathering.

Pretty much what I do, in fact I load up more. And I don't like the result, lather is frothy and airy, which seems to be what it's given you - and it just simply won't work for me.

I can get is wetter and slicker, making it isn't a big deal, it just takes a bit more attention, but it still doesn't do much for me at all.

Short video of tonight's MWF lathering.

Worth noting that your soap mug isn't limiting the motion of your brush (yet!), allowing you to whisk it wide and fast to load up. I have to insert my brush into the mug I use for MWF and I think that is a cause of difficulty, making loading time longer and stopping some brushes (boar) from working at all with MWF.

Worth noting that your soap mug isn't limiting the motion of your brush (yet!), allowing you to whisk it wide and fast to load up. I have to insert my brush into the mug I use for MWF and I think that is a cause of difficulty, making loading time longer and stopping some brushes (boar) from working at all with MWF.

I think if we follow some good advise from other members about using a drier brush and really mushing it into the puck that it should still load up good. Some guys load up with a puck in their hand but I don't like the mess.

It was mentioned that some of the lather looked frothy which the outside stuff was but the loaded up soap in the brush produced a great lather. I am surprised actually as my water is really hard and even Tabac won't load as quick although the shave is equally as good.

I watched the video with interest, and I admit to being astonished that you can get three passes out of the amount you produced. It would barely cover my face for a single pass (not kidding). What I also found interesting is that the sound of the brush in the bowl is rather crisp and rasping. To me that indicates fine bubbly stuff, which would disappear within moments of application. This sound too I found to be characteristic of MWF.

Yes, I admit to being a total geek to be able to judge lather by the sound it makes in a bowl.

But as always: enjoy your shaves. And perhaps try and make more videos: the quality is quite good!

The lather I get from MWF is so thick I have to add a good amount water to the brush to get it to build up the lather's volume. With adding water and using the brush vigorously - I get lather with a more manageable and workable density. Otherwise - it goes on my face too thick and and I won't be able to rinse it off my blade.
I face lather with all kinds of brushes... so far my Simpson's pure badger is rocking the fat very well. But the rest of the knots are keeping up just fine.

MWF is really good stuff. I'm liking it a lot right now.

I watched the video with interest, and I admit to being astonished that you can get three passes out of the amount you produced. It would barely cover my face for a single pass (not kidding). What I also found interesting is that the sound of the brush in the bowl is rather crisp and rasping. To me that indicates fine bubbly stuff, which would disappear within moments of application. This sound too I found to be characteristic of MWF.

Yes, I admit to being a total geek to be able to judge lather by the sound it makes in a bowl.

But as always: enjoy your shaves. And perhaps try and make more videos: the quality is quite good!

By loading the brush quite dry there is a lot more soap in it then it appears.
The raspy sound is probably due to the awesome $1.49 salsa bowl being used! :lol: It is double walled plastic and has a stucco like texture.

Here's another quick video. Didn't record the shave but there was enough for 3-4 passes with ease. The more you work it, the better it gets!

[YOUTUBE]kD2DQNliElE[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
After watching you mix up two bowls I can say your technique looks exactly like mine when using the Fat. I might add just a touch more water after moving to my scuttle, though it may be the equivalent of you dipping your brush in the stream of water prior to going to your bowl. Same technique of applying to my face, too. Gotta use it tomorrow, now...

I go two passes and touch ups, but enough lather for a full pass + goes down the drain.

I'm a newbie, and MWF was the second soap I tried. I NEVER had any problems getting it to lather. In fact, I was quite impressed with its lathering ability. Much better than my first soap, Classic Shaving Brand Almond.

I have never had a problem lathering it as well. I had read countless posts claiming that the lather is stingy, but I found it to be pretty easy and I find it to be my best shaving soap. Some don't care for the smell but I love the light scent!

How much lather do you guys use that his first video doesn't look like enough lather for three passes. Honestly, that's enough for me to do three passes and wash another pass down the drain.

Good videos!

Here's mine from awhile back:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLI2m39cA40[/YOUTUBE]

you could aslo take the puck in your hand and use it like a shave stick after you loaded your brush to make sure you have enought product.

sometimes i do it if i'm a bit short of lather for me third pass, you could also do it for the first pass.

Those videos are very helpful. Thanks for sharing. I would suggest that when you begin lathering on your bowl use more paint brush strokes than swirls. It gets slicker somehow.

Besides I use my Simpson pure on MWF and results are better than the others(except 2-bands).

the best way to lather the fat is to drop the whole puck in warm water for 5min, yes the whole puck, soak your brush with water, put the puck back in it's spot, shake and squeeze the brush dry, load up for 40-50sec at least, wet your face, then face lather, dipping the tips in water as needed. best shave ever with plenty of thick/slick lather for 3 passes.

Top Bottom