What's new

"Must Have" vintage safety razors

My favorite is a 1911 single ring that I revived a year or so ago. Got it for $20 on eBay. Seller said it had spent 60 years outside in a big barrel of scrap.

My collection (thus far) is a Merkur 180 (2013), Slim Adjustable (1966-handed down from my Dad), GEM MMCC (40's vintage), Gillette New bar handle (30's vintage) and a recently acquired 1912 GEM Damaskene. I have found that the older razors, especially the "New" give the best shaves. Kind of sad that the trend today is for more blades, when an SE and a DE from almost a century ago will give BBS shaves if you pick your blades/soap and take a few extra minutes with your shave.

I just acquired a near mint #66 and it gives me a stonking shave. It knocks my flare tip rocket, #58 and EJ DE89 into a tin hat. A wonderful shave and a great looking piece of hardware.

I cannot believe that a razor with the same patent number on the head as 2 of my other Gillette's can shave so much more smoothly and closely.

Major thread bump:

Not in any order of preference:

1) Gillette Red Tip Rocket
2) Gillette 1940s no date code Super Speed
3) Gillette "Old Type" I use a Star Brand vintage brass handle- looks and works great
4) 1930s English 7 o'clock brand medium comb, brass/nickel- precursor to the "Gillette New Type"
5) Gillette "New Type" short comb

Anyone care to follow?

Challenge accepted. But dang there are many!

At least these for me - in prioritized order:
Hybrid Tech
Aristocrat #66/#70
New RFB 2-piece
Eclipse Red Ring
Bohin adjustable
Henso
1941 Ranger Tech
Darwin Deluxe
Slim adjustable
Apollo Mikron adjustable
Any and all Rockets bar none

no order, but:
1) Gillette Sheraton
2) Eclipse Red Ring
3) Gillette Slim
4) Gillette Rocket HD
5) Gem Open Comb Micromatic

Late entry:

Gillette HD 500 Rocket.

I used it about a year ago but wasn't getting very close shaves with it. I tried it last week with a Gillette Sharp Edge (yellow pack) and adjusted my angle a bit- made all the difference. Now I'm getting BBS shaves. I love the weight of it too. I've seen the Eclipse Red Ring on Ebay. Is it brass/nickel? How is the shave compared to some of the other vintage DEs mentioned above. Also, what were the years of production?

Thanks Much!

Something with an open comb, a 30's-50's TTO, a GEM Micromatic from 1930, and a Schick E Type from the '30's. Four razors.

Well sure, I'll keep this 7 year old thread alive.

In order of preference:

British Fat Handle Tech
Aristocrat Jr.
Prewar Fat Handle Tech
Rocket HD
Slim

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Lots of great vintage razors out there. I think the true "must haves" are the ones that have personal meaning or significance to you. Your Grandpa's razor. Your birthyear razor (or your dad's). A Slim for the James Bond fan. A Fatboy for the Harley guy. Stuff like that.

For significance then,
O4 Gold Super Adjustable (one of our "family" razors and the one I learned on)
I3 Slim (birth year and quarter)
C2 Ball-end Tech (another "family" razor)
The Shaving Company TTO (my daughter bought that for me)
Three of the above I didn't spend a dime. The other (slim) I paid $20 and feel comfortable.

Top Bottom