What's new

"Must Have" vintage safety razors

I agree that from a pure shaving and utility, you can't go wrong starting out with a Gillette Slim or Fatboy (I have not tried the Fatboy; I just hear those two lumped together so often.) As one becomes more and more in tune with how their face reacts to different facets of shaving with different settings, one becomes more knowledgeable about what should be their "must have" razor. Me? I haven't decided what I want next. I know that, from a utility standpoint, the Slim is providing me with a great shave every morning. I have no complaints. Is it my "holy grail" razor? Well, no, but I don't know what that would be. I only know what gives me a great shave. The more I peruse B&B and develop a taste for what moves me as a collector, the more I will be inclined to name what my "holy grail" razor is.

For me, i'd like to find:

OC British Aristocrat (i can never remember the number)
Gillette Bulldog
Gillette Double ring

With those three, i can put an end to my "collection".

i have a few of the "grail" Gillettes that I bought reasonably back in the 1980s when I collected open combs. When I resumed collecting in 2013 I decided to concentrate of Techs. I would say look for a nice NEW and a Tech fat handle for a start. They can be bought reasonably and used with pleasure.

wow, holy blast from the past!

i have a few of the "grail" Gillettes that I bought reasonably back in the 1980s when I collected open combs. When I resumed collecting in 2013 I decided to concentrate of Techs. I would say look for a nice NEW and a Tech fat handle for a start. They can be bought reasonably and used with pleasure.

+1!

and would love to see that open comb collection!

"Must have" in terms of shaving every day; I would say:

- Gillette Old style
- Gillette New style
- 1940's SuperSpeed
- Aristocrat (open comb and closed comb)
- GEM Damaskeene

I have not tried a Slim. I have a Fatboy and have tried it for periods of time. It has never provided a great shave.

"Must Haves" for collecting
- Aristocrat open comb
- Single ring
- ABC
- Double ring
- Steamline
- Jewel

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Gillette New long or short comb
Gillette Tech
Gilette SuperSpeed
Gillette Fatboy or Slim

Also have an Ever Ready Streamline, but this is a DE thread.

Last edited:
For me, I recommend an English 7 o'clock razor, Gillette Slim, Gillette Fatboy, Gillette Aristocrat, Gillette Super Speed, Gillette Sheraton, and a Gillette Tech. Getting a nice Gillette Single Ring Old Type is one I recommend too, if possible.

I prefer my 64 Slim Adjustable in good user condition over my mint gold plated Diplomat in the box. I think the Diplomat doesn't shave quite as well as the Slim which on setting 7 gives me a near perfect shave. Also, anything in such mint condition automatically makes me worried "What will happen if I drop it - OMG?". My TV Rocket, Blue Tip, New and Tech are fine shavers and give 95% of what I can get from my Slim Adjustable. The DE89 Jagger gives a fine shave but no better than a cheap, humble Super Speed. Strangely, I get a Super Speed level shave from a new $12 Shaving Factory TTO available from Sally's but the fact that it is cheaper construction and has no vintage pedigree makes it less appealing. My suggestion to anyone just getting into vintage is get a TV Rocket Super Speed. These are a dime a dozen and I have an extra one ready to sell.

GEM/ER 1912
Weck Sextoblade/Orderly
Durham Duplex 201
Gillette New (British)
Wilkinson Sword Bonded

Does anybody know the best place to look for Fatboy spare parts. Looking for a clicker for the adjustable mechanism. Thanks!

Top Bottom