What's new

Multiple use of a blade in saltwater climates

That’s the next step I’ll try.

i just started a big blade test project though That I’ll just do single use of those. But I may take some breaks with that and try the mineral oil, baby oil method.

The mineral oil/baby oil comment reminded me of this: pop over to the straight razor forums and read (maybe even post/link) about storing blades and preventing rust. From what I understand the care and storage of straight razors can pose challenges similar to your's regardless of climate forcing many users to get creative with methods like baby oil. You at least should be able to communicate with people who have more experience with that issue and maybe come to a resolution sooner.

Don, I live in Florida as well, although inland from you. I don't have that problem with the stainless blades I use but I do, or would, with the few carbons I use if I didn't take proper post shave care. But first let me ask you, do you have central air? Do you leave the house open as much as you can? I do. If you don't have central air or/and you leave your windows open a lot that could be part of your problem. I use vintage blades only nowadays but when I used modern ones I noticed they didn't last as long during times of the year I would have the house open. Anyway with my carbon blades I dip them in a shallow bath of alcohol after a rinse a then let it air dry after on a piece of tissue.

... But first let me ask you, do you have central air? Do you leave the house open as much as you can? I do. If you don't have central air or/and you leave your windows open a lot that could be part of your problem....

We don’t have any central air conditioning. It’s generally not needed in our area. We have mild weather where the max temp ranges from 20-27C (70-80 degrees F) 6 months out of the year. We have windows open most of the time, and have a fresh off the ocean breeze blasting us daily. During winter we keep the windows closed, but we’re still constantly fanned by a breeze right off the ocean.

I use the blade, rinse w tap water, then place it in a bowl with filtered water while I do aftershave routine. Then dry the blade on a towel....they last 3-5d. Do the same w carts, those I blow dry on high.
Cut throat carbon blades will rust here in 1-2hrs, those I have to dry and coat in mineral oil!
I live prob 1hr from the beach....very humid.

We don’t have any central air conditioning. It’s generally not needed in our area. We have mild weather where the max temp ranges from 20-27C (70-80 degrees F) 6 months out of the year. We have windows open most of the time, and have a fresh off the ocean breeze blasting us daily. During winter we keep the windows closed, but we’re still constantly fanned by a breeze right off the ocean.
There you go. I'm in north central Florida so not as salty but humid. I've lived in this area fo over 50 years, used to keep the house open all the time but we have to shut up at night now. Bears.

There you go. I'm in north central Florida so not as salty but humid. I've lived in this area fo over 50 years, used to keep the house open all the time but we have to shut up at night now. Bears.

Yes, that pretty much explains it. I was surprised the blades rusted so fast, within hours. Good thing they only cost pennies each.

What I don’t fully understand though is why aren’t my wife’s cartridge blades, or an old one I had leftover before I got into all this, don’t have rust problems.

I used to use a DE and my blades would last me weeks. Usually, the only reason I was replacing was due to them getting dull after a period of time. I used the Van Der Hagen blades, although I don't know how their quality stands to other brands.
(panhandle of FL)

Yes, that pretty much explains it. I was surprised the blades rusted so fast, within hours. Good thing they only cost pennies each.

What I don’t fully understand though is why aren’t my wife’s cartridge blades, or an old one I had leftover before I got into all this, don’t have rust problems.
Old one? How old? There's some evidence and some people believe, that older blades were made better. I'm one.

Old one? How old? There's some evidence and some people believe, that older blades were made better. I'm one.
It’s an old disposable cartridge probably 4 years old. My wife’s cartridge blades seem to last a month each.

I don't live near the sea but am trying to understand the problem.
Here is a photo taken today only 8 hours after finishing today‘s shave. You might be able to see some early signs of rust:
That is suprising as the coating should still be on the bevel after one shave.
And this one here is from yesterday taken about 24 hours after just one use:
If the bathroom is very humid maybe store elsewhere. I cannot understand why the cartridge blades are lasting but not the DE blades; they are different thicknesses obviously. A light coating with mineral oil will keep the corrosion at bay; just draw the bevels over a sponge soaked in mineral oil would be sufficient. However is that a process you want to introduce after every shave? I have hard water so build up of scum is a problem which is a different issue. My razor and blade {pinch and draw the blade through tissue} are cleaned daily but I do get more than a handful of shaves from a blade.

I live in SWFL about two and a half miles from the Gulf of Mexico and never had any problems with my blades rusting like that

That’s the next step I’ll try.

i just started a big blade test project though That I’ll just do single use of those. But I may take some breaks with that and try the mineral oil, baby oil method.

For straight razors, Ballistol (or Tuf-Glide, if you’re in the US) works very well.
From my experience with (straight) razors, baby oil does not work that well, as it is too thick and leaves an uneven protective film behind.

My own preference is Ballistol, available in 16 oz bottles and also available with a small spray pump, if you like.
Ballistol has been around since 1904 and is still one of the best protective oils for such uses and is considered safe for human skin. Like Tuf-Glide, Ballistol has also many other uses.

Until March 2020, I used to live in a hot (110°F) and humid area, less than half a mile from the beach, but have never experienced corrosion the way you do. My advantage might have been that it was so hot that we had no choice but to run the a/c, which brought both indoor temperature and humidity levels down.

Good luck.

B

Some of the snooty-tooty shave shops sell a "blade oil" intended for use on straight razors. One in particular claimed theirs was an original recipe dating back several centuries to Katana makers, Ninjas and such.

As a kid, I recall some oil in my Dads's wood shop stuff. His Dad had a lot of ancient carbon steel chisels and applied this oil to keep them sharp & prevent rust and staining.

You can buy the pricey Ninja stuff, or make some from an old recipe: equal parts Lanolin and Camellia Oil. Or use my Grandpa's Iron Foundry patternmaker's recipe: Lanolin + heavy mineral oil.

A little applied with a Q-tip along the blade edges prevent rust - works great on carbon steel DE blades that rust even in non-salt-water climates.

Top Bottom