What's new

Muhle STF XL - It is that good!

Is this a case of the Mühle website lagging a bit, as it still shows up (at least in the Classic handle version)? Perhaps that's what you meant by "except for the Traditional synthetic model"? That's the only page I searched on.

I trust that AP Shave Co and Rudy V. will still have access to the 25mm knot.

... Thom

My apologies, for some reason (maybe because they are synonyms or because I use the Traditional Mühle safety razor model with their Classic brush model?) it was not the first time that I mixed up the terms.
As someone once said: It’s all in my head…:facep:

You are quite right, it is the Classic that is still available in the XL 25 mm synthetic size.

Rudy may be the one who can answer the access to 25 mm knots question best, but I believe it was him who mentioned on this site that Mühle was discontinuing the majority of their 25 mm knots.

B.

I never cared about wet clumping, I care about performance and many synths that clump are excellent performers. it seems to matter to badger users as it is brought up as a disadvantage of synths.
I completely agree. The performance of the STF is everything i could ask for, and that of the Synbad (my only other synthetic experience) is similar.

Musing about clumping was more of a curiosity than anything. I don't see how anyone could consider it to be either a plus or a minus.

.. Thom

25/55 is not floppy?
I can't recall the loft setting on the 25mm, Classic XL, but I don't consider it to be floppy. I think Rudy recommends 55mm loft?

The Classic XL is great with croaps.

I've never used triple milled soaps, so I have no clue as to what the boar advocates are talking about. I find it a bit odd however to prioritize a brush for how it picks up soap, vs. face feel. I prefer to work more to pick up soap than to beat up my face ;-)

I wouldn't want a stiffer brush under any circumstances. Note that I don't have a leather face however, and I shave every 24-36 hours.

Perhaps if I had tougher skin and shaved a dense beard every 3-4 days I'd want more backbone.

... Thom

I think the 25mm Muhle is going to be my next brush. I've been reading a lot of positive reviews on it. My current brush is one of the 10$ Maggards brushes, which has been a very good entry level brush for me. Since I'm planning on sticking with this hobby I'm thinking an upgrade is in order and it looks like the SFT is going to be it. Hoping to make contact with Mr. Vey at some point and get the ball rolling on that.

Want to get a 23 for next brush I decided :)
will be another RV for sure
love the smooth lines on the handle

This is a 25 in the pic and I LOVE the thing so much just curious about the 23 to know and have ;)
IMG_6743.jpeg

This is a 25 in the pic and I LOVE the thing so much just curious about the 23 to know and have ;)
View attachment 1687513
I understand all too well. I have two 25mm STF from Rudy and there is no other brush that even comes close. I love them. I have also been thinking about a 23mm because I have a 22mm from another maker that is good, but I'm thinking the 23mm STF will be even better.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I like the EVO, nice soft tips but a little too much backbone. I like the STF, nice soft tips but could use a tiny bit more backbone.

Then I got a Wald. Out of this world price, but a performance to match. What it does to the quality of the lather is something special. But an STF from Rudy set to your preferred backbone would be a rock solid choice.

I like the EVO, nice soft tips but a little too much backbone. I like the STF, nice soft tips but could use a tiny bit more backbone.

Then I got a Wald. Out of this world price, but a performance to match. What it does to the quality of the lather is something special. But an STF from Rudy set to your preferred backbone would be a rock solid choice.

I was curious about the Evo but I do not want more backbone :) and I have read a few like thoughts on the Evo ! so love the feedback and info of members here!
with experience on the Muhle STF the less I care to try so many other brushes, I will do a few of course but think I got lucky about 5 brushes in to find my goldilocks brush!

View attachment 1687513

First that brush and handle is beautiful.

In my experience the 23mm(I have EJ) is significantly smaller and less dense knot compared to 25mm ( I have AP shave co). Not saying it’s good or bad - just what you want.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
This brush has been on my mind for some time.

Please can face lathering users tell me if it has a proclivity to drip? I find some synths tend to do this more than others (t3). My current fave (Yaqi Sagrada) doesn’t.

Help me cut through my final thread of acquisition resistance!

Please can face lathering users tell me if it has a proclivity to drip? I find some synths tend to do this more than others (t3). My current fave (Yaqi Sagrada) doesn’t.

I'm pretty much of a rookie in this endeavor, but having by said that, my 25mm STF, and 22 &24 mm Synbads from AP Shave Co. only drip when I dramatically oversaturate my soap (in error) - to the point where it's running down my face.

So far, I've played with Cella Red, Haslingers Shafmilch, Spieck (grated into a puck), and some Jack Black cream that my wife gave me.

... Thom

Last edited:

No but I am pretty good at not to wet but if I do go over its not quite like the only real hair brush I have a semogue that was about $70-$80 if I remember ?
Do love this RV muhle so much more

for synthetics I have a Italian barber Plissoft and it drips way easier it also can kinda throw some tiny bit of lather off onto the mirror way easier like those few bristles fling some soap on them off to the mirror way more than the Muhle and of course the natural never does but its very rare my Muhle does this and often when I know I went to thin
had another synthetic forgot viking something and IMHO was junk
the Plissoft is not in use as its to prickly for me meaning its OK but I can feel it where the RV Muhle is more like my Semogue than the other synthetic but performs so much better than the Semogue in building lather and on the face feel is very close and more different than better or worse so the RV is my daily and I rarely bring out the Semogue
sadly I dont have any other high end real hair or other higher end synthetics to compare with :)

also cant see much more I would want other than maybe a touch easier to splay ? But only a tiny bit might get another one set a touch higher see what its like

hope that brain dump helps :)

Received the APShaveCo/Shavemac 25mm STF XL in yesterdays mail just in time for my every other day shave and overall it performed ok. I will say its a great looking brush as I like the beehive but it might be a little small for me. From my measurements it would seem Andrew set the loft in the 55mm+ range which is short for a brush for my use but I'm making an acception in this case because this knot seems to have big praise and I felt it was time to give it a go and it was an easy decision after seeing the APShaveCo/Shavemac collaboration!! I'm gonna give it a few lathers and then make a decision whether it stays or goes...
SOTD 8.15.23.jpg

Top Bottom