What's new

Muhle STF XL - It is that good!

Nothing could be further from the truth. :thumbdown
(Sometimes one just cannot help loathing the Internet for all the rubbish that people post, can one?)

When Shavemac introduced synthetic brushes I was one of the first to order.
On that occasion, I spoke to Bernd, owner of Shavemac, on the phone and asked whether by chance he might use the same fibres as Mühle.

Not only did he tell me in no uncertain terms that they were NOT the same as Mühle, when telling me he almost sounded dismayed :angry: that I had even dared to bring up this question.

And as soon as I had received my first Shavemac synthetic, I could see and feel that for myself.

B.
And right you are.
In the meantime I ordered a custom Shavemac Synth from Bernd and it's a very different animal. Way more scrubby and with much more backbone so more in line with their D(ense) badger hair grades.

46F463E9-9837-46D4-B936-2225FD062458.jpeg

I have a wonderful Shavemac fiber knot brush, either 26mm or 28mm 🤔. It is big, which I like. I also have the Mühle STF knot. It is immediately obvious that they are not the same. That they are not the same fibers, nor is G5C the same as either, should be a sticky on B&B. This comes up often and yet some people keep spreading the false idea that they are the same.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I am not on Rudy's payroll... I don't get commission from any of his sales. <humorous comment?> but I will say this... When you order a brush from Rudy, you get a great brush handle of your choosing as well as either a great ShaveMac badger knot or a Muhle STF synth knot of your choosing. He might have more knot options as well. He also does re-knotting of a brush where you love the handle but hate the knot.. or you have an old brush with a knot that has seen better days.

His turnaround time is amazing. He's turned handles for me in a couple days, done re-knots for me in a couple days... completed whole brushes in that same amount of time. He is a great person with whom to work. Quick emails back and forth when you are making your decisions. You see his brushes showing up in our posts, day after day, for a reason. His brushes are that good.

I am not on Rudy's payroll... I don't get commission from any of his sales. <humorous comment?> but I will say this... When you order a brush from Rudy, you get a great brush handle of your choosing as well as either a great ShaveMac badger knot or a Muhle STF synth knot of your choosing. He might have more knot options as well. He also does re-knotting of a brush where you love the handle but hate the knot.. or you have an old brush with a knot that has seen better days.

His turnaround time is amazing. He's turned handles for me in a couple days, done re-knots for me in a couple days... completed whole brushes in that same amount of time. He is a great person with whom to work. Quick emails back and forth when you are making your decisions. You see his brushes showing up in our posts, day after day, for a reason. His brushes are that good.
Totally agree!

Rudy is experimenting with GITD in colors at my behest. I hope this works out as good as we think it will. And of course mine will have a 25mm STF knot.

There are mixed reviews of the smaller sizes. I haven't been tempted to try these, finding the XL to fill the sweet spot, nicely positioned as not too big/not too small.
I took the majority's advice and selected the XL as well. It's my first brush, and while ignorance may be bliss, I'm thrilled with it.

Initially, it seemed rather large, but as I learned to control it, I'm enjoying the efficiency. Not that I'm in a rush, but for say, 4 minutes of lathering time, I contact any section of my face for a longer period. I count that as a win.

Out of curiosity, I picked up a 22mm AP Shave Co Synbad knot. It's remarkably close to the STF knot, but not quite in the same league. I don't know how much the smaller knot size factors in, as it takes a bit more effort to splay. That seems to be the case with the smaller STF knots.

What's this GITD that's Rudy is experimenting with? A handle material?

... Thom

I took the majority's advice and selected the XL as well. It's my first brush, and while ignorance may be bliss, I'm thrilled with it.

Initially, it seemed rather large, but as I learned to control it, I'm enjoying the efficiency. Not that I'm in a rush, but for say, 4 minutes of lathering time, I contact any section of my face for a longer period. I count that as a win.

Out of curiosity, I picked up a 22mm AP Shave Co Synbad knot. It's remarkably close to the STF knot, but not quite in the same league. I don't know how much the smaller knot size factors in, as it takes a bit more effort to splay. That seems to be the case with the smaller STF knots.

What's this GITD that's Rudy is experimenting with? A handle material?

... Thom
Glow in the dark. Yes, handle material. Have to wait and see how it comes out.

I noticed today that this knot, unlike other synths, does not clump together into a ring when wet.
After rinsing out the soap, some brushes with thin fibers, like the Synbad and Zenith, tend to clump, and it takes some minor grooming to get them to spread out again. The STF reverts back to its original shape after a shake or two. (G5C and MiG do the same.) The STFs I have have also bloomed fractionally more with use. This is a good design well carried out. Rudy's handles are the cherry on top.

After rinsing out the soap, some brushes with thin fibers, like the Synbad and Zenith, tend to clump, and it takes some minor grooming to get them to spread out again. The STF reverts back to its original shape after a shake or two. (G5C and MiG do the same.) The STFs I have have also bloomed fractionally more with use. This is a good design well carried out. Rudy's handles are the cherry on top.
I noticed this as well (22mm Synbad vs. 25mm STF). It's a minor difference, but it did puzzle me. I do a more thorough post shave rinse on the Synbad, and it clumps less.

This is ultimately inconsequential, in that a few "fluffs" when it's nearly dry, and it's fine.

It's more a curiosity to me than anything.

... Thom

the L is not good?

The L with its 23 mm size works just as well as the others.
Some shavers prefer larger sizes, up to 30 mm, but that is strictly a personal preference.

Mühle has reduced their size offerings and for most models the 23 mm L size is now the biggest, except for the Traditional synthetic model that is still available in the XL 25 mm size.

For a while I liked sizes up to 28 mm, but use now as often the 23-24 mm sizes.

B.

The L with its 23 mm size works just as well as the others.
Some shavers prefer larger sizes, up to 30 mm, but that is strictly a personal preference.

Mühle has reduced their size offerings and for most models the 23 mm L size is now the biggest, except for the Traditional synthetic model that is still available in the XL 25 mm size.

For a while I liked sizes up to 28 mm, but use now as often the 23-24 mm sizes.

B.
Is this a case of the Mühle website lagging a bit, as it still shows up (at least in the Classic handle version)? Perhaps that's what you meant by "except for the Traditional synthetic model"? That's the only page I searched on.

I trust that AP Shave Co and Rudy V. will still have access to the 25mm knot.

I'm in the process of testing your smaller knot theory out, but at a lower price point. I have a 24mm Synbad knot on the way (to keep my 25mm STF and 22mm Synbad company).

Regarding the minor clumping when wet comment above. I rinsed my Synbad knot out a bit more thoroughly today, and after shaking it a few times, almost all the clumping was gone. I guess some of these knots hold on to soap more than others.

... Thom

Top Bottom