What's new

Muhle R96 "Rocca" v3 Review

Hello All,

Just wanted to review the new Muhle R96 "Rocca" ver. 3.
I ordered from the English supplier Connaught Shaving because they explicitly advertised this as the version 3 model which is what I was looking for. The black handle is superb. I wasn't sure what it was made of and thought it may be a cheaper plastic coating but its not. I think its electroplated but the coating is very impressive- both look and feel. It is not slippery in the slightest and there was never a moment where I was concerned for my hold, even when wet. The stainless steel is matte/satin which I thought was smart. It has the typical Muhle flawlessness even after careful scrutinizing. It weighs in at 74 grams with the handle at 44 grams. This razor has heft and a very solid feel to it. I'd say the weight is close to perfect. The closed comb head is a completely new design- different from either the R41 or R89 and looks great. Now to the shave...
I used a Gillette Sharp Edge (yellow pack) and Cyril Salter Wild Rose shaving cream. Two of my favorites. The first thing I noticed was that I could definitely feel the blade and could quickly determine the proper shaving angle. This razor is much more forgiving than the R41 but you have to take care, it will bite if you're distracted. After two passes I was left with a BBS shave, no problem. A little touch up here and there and that was that. I'm very impressed with Muhle's new razor and glad they finally came out with a stainless steel model. I did notice that due to the stainless steel, it wasn't quite as smooth across my skin as say any nickel plated Super Speed or the other Muhle models, but a very minor point. This is truly a great addition to the Muhle family and a very elegant looking and exceptionally well performing razor. I highly recommend this to anyone thinking of pulling the trigger- you won't be sorry.

I really like the Rocca, so much so that I have two!. A V2 Birch R95 and a V3 Black resin R96, also bought from Connaught Shaving. The Fit and Finish on both is Flawless and they are beautiful razors.

Despite some obvious differences in the head design between V2 @ V3 heads I could discern no difference in the shaving experience or razor dynamics, perhaps the V3 head clamps the blade a bit better.

Its an overlooked razor in my opinion but, it’s a genuine star. Perfect build, smooth but, shaves every bit as well as the likes of the R41.

Glad you’re enjoying yours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SOTD LPL.jpg

I waited almost 2 years to get my hands on this. Now, after I found the right angle and blade I start to really enjoy shaves with it.

Just received this in the mail today all the from England to Chicago in just a few days. Will give it a spin tomorrow.
It truly is a beautiful razor. The birch bark handle is cool and nice to hold. That wide gap makes me a little nervous...
IMG_0321.JPG
IMG_0322.JPG

Just received this in the mail today all the from England to Chicago in just a few days. Will give it a spin tomorrow.
It truly is a beautiful razor. The birch bark handle is cool and nice to hold. That wide gap makes me a little nervous...
View attachment 949923 View attachment 949924
Congrats. You’re going to enjoy it. GSB’s work great for me in this razor, FWIW.

The gap isn’t anything to be concerned about; it makes it very easy to find the right angle but is still smooth. This razor very much has a blade forward design though (i.e., lots of exposure). I haven’t had any issues during strokes (even long ones) but when putting the razor on my face starting a stroke after ending one, I’ve been bitten when careless. Don’t be intimidated at all (it’s not necessary, and it’s a buzz kill), just don’t “sleep shave.”

That’s beautiful! Great purchase!

I hope you enjoy the shave. As mentioned it’s a smooth but very, very efficient razor.

I’m going through a Gillette sample pack and the GSB is a decent blade but I didn’t like the feel of it for the first couple of shaves but, the blade what a good blade should.

I have the v3 R95 and love it. The R41 was always a little harsh on my skin. The R95 is just as efficient to me but super smooth. Definitely one of my favorite razors to use and way under rated.

IMG_0324.JPG

Okay got the 1st shave in this morning with a Personna Red. It was really good! The razor is very efficient and smooth. No cuts or irritation. I never gelled with the R89 but this is a very good shaver. Great weight and balance. The birch bark handle feels great! Really happy with it. Plus the price is very reasonable. Just one sweet looking stainless steel razor that shaves quite nicely. Cheers!

Last edited:
"What's the right angle?"

Generally 30 degrees but it will vary depending on the razor head. I find the R96 is indeed about 30 degrees. My favorite blades with the R96 are the Rapira Platinum Lux and the PolSilver. Enjoy!

Top Bottom