What's new

Muhle R41,The combined thread

What are you doing with the R41?

• I used it, I didnt like it, Im getting rid of it

• I used it, I liked it, Im keeping it

• I used it, it cut me and/or irritated me, but the jury is still out

Results are only viewable after voting.
First shave impressions. First the accessories: Badger Brush with CO Bigelow Lather and a sharp new Feather Blade

I like aggressive razors. Even my FatBoy dialed up to 8 or 9 isn't aggressive enough for me. The only razor I've had close to being aggressive enough was a 1959 Red Tip. I unboxed the R41 and did my usual prep. I altered my angle a bit to make up for the combs. First pass was WTG and for the first time on a double edge, I heard the blade working (heard it many times on my straight). I messed up my angle a bit and got a good weeper on the right side of my face down below my ear as well as one to match on my chin. I made it thru my first pass with two weepers and did something I never do which is washing my face off and feeling the shave. I had a DFS after one pass. I re-lathered and did my second pass XTG. No weepers this time and after i finished, a BBS. Two passes and I was done. To be honest, I'm kind of afraid to go ATG with this razor at first. No touching up, no missed spots, no nothing, just bare skin. I usually end up with some burn and irritation but not this time. I just splashed a bit of AS on and some Witch Hazel after a cold water rinse. My face feels the best it ever has. I honestly cannot wait to shave again with it. It's a beautiful piece of machinery as far as I'm concerned and works better than any razor has before. Granted, I've never tried a slant, but I feel like this is the perfect razor for me.

As goes the mantra in the world of DE shaving, there is no "best". And what's the best in my shave den is unlikely to be yours. Such a subjective activity with endless variables tends to dictate YMMV. For some the R41 is at best too aggressive, and at worst, destructive.

For me, it works wonders. I love it to pieces. And it's the staple in my shave den along with my Muhle R89.

Would I recommend the R41 to the beginner? No.

Would I recommend it to someone already acquainted with DE technique looking for a closer more aggressive approach? Absolutely. It's a wonderful piece.

I have one and really like it. It's aggressive, but does not tear me up like some other aggressive razors I've tried.
So it's a good aggressive that it's top the razor razor rotation, your go to baby?
First shave impressions. First the accessories: Badger Brush with CO Bigelow Lather and a sharp new Feather Blade

I like aggressive razors. Even my FatBoy dialed up to 8 or 9 isn't aggressive enough for me. The only razor I've had close to being aggressive enough was a 1959 Red Tip. I unboxed the R41 and did my usual prep. I altered my angle a bit to make up for the combs. First pass was WTG and for the first time on a double edge, I heard the blade working (heard it many times on my straight). I messed up my angle a bit and got a good weeper on the right side of my face down below my ear as well as one to match on my chin. I made it thru my first pass with two weepers and did something I never do which is washing my face off and feeling the shave. I had a DFS after one pass. I re-lathered and did my second pass XTG. No weepers this time and after i finished, a BBS. Two passes and I was done. To be honest, I'm kind of afraid to go ATG with this razor at first. No touching up, no missed spots, no nothing, just bare skin. I usually end up with some burn and irritation but not this time. I just splashed a bit of AS on and some Witch Hazel after a cold water rinse. My face feels the best it ever has. I honestly cannot wait to shave again with it. It's a beautiful piece of machinery as far as I'm concerned and works better than any razor has before. Granted, I've never tried a slant, but I feel like this is the perfect razor for me.
So besides the 1st hand weepers it a keeper and top choice , do you have any other legendary razor that it compares to?
As goes the mantra in the world of DE shaving, there is no "best". And what's the best in my shave den is unlikely to be yours. Such a subjective activity with endless variables tends to dictate YMMV. For some the R41 is at best too aggressive, and at worst, destructive.

For me, it works wonders. I love it to pieces. And it's the staple in my shave den along with my Muhle R89.

Would I recommend the R41 to the beginner? No.

Would I recommend it to someone already acquainted with DE technique looking for a closer more aggressive approach? Absolutely. It's a wonderful piece.
So, even if my method may vary, on an over bases its still your top choice , is it better than your r89 or even Stevens?

So it's a good aggressive that it's top the razor razor rotation, your go to baby?

It is in the top tier, definitely. It shares space there, among my aggressive razors, with my Futur, Micromatic, Valet and Henckels. I like it better than my Joris, which is also aggressive and my Vision, which is a deli slicer. It shares a lot of characteristics with the Eclipse Red Ring, which is also a great razor, but is tuned to be quite a bit more aggressive.

I'm 10-12 shaves into this razor. Your experience has some similarities with mine.

First though, I'm surprised that you cite the SS Red Tip as an aggressive razor which is even more aggressive than your dialed up Fatboy. I've never used an adjustable razor so I can't appreciate that comparison, but the 57 Red Tip I had seemed woefully mild EVEN compared to my Merkur 23c. I quickly abandoned the Red Tip as it demanded way too many passes, touch-ups, and buffing. Is the 59 version of the Red Tip perhaps a completely differenct animal than the 57?

Anyway, I like you experienced weepers with the R41 and still suffer some currently. I, unlike you however, did not have the restraint to skip the ATG strokes OR the ultra OCD touching up that I have always done with my 23c and my Slant. My first shave was a blood bath of weepers which I have now gotten under control but I also have suffered some more severe nicks, minor cuts, and irritation. Today I'm still recovering from a couple of previous shaves where I nicked my chin and under my nose. I've had to pull out the Alum Block to soothe these issues.

I've used the R41 with a Feather, Perma-sharp, Gillette Yellow, and Iridium Super. The (3) shaves, including this mornings, with the Feather were clearly superior and the Yellow was the worst. The sharpness of the Feather actually seems to REDUCE the hazard of nicks and irritation as it cuts better for me especially where it's difficult to get the "flat angle" that works best with the R41. The other blades are rougher and more dangerous with the bigger angle.

For the last couple of days I've been tolerating these accumulating nicks and minor irritation in the name of mastering this razor. I'm probably going to continue to use the Feather for the next (3) shaves and I expect that my face with fully recover in doing so. I only have (1) Feather blade left after I finish with the one in the razor so hopefully by that time I'll be able to move on to the Perma-sharps or Iridium Supers I have on order that should be received soon. I'll probably order (100) Feathers today in case I can't get it right with the other blades.

Come on Alex, you've been dithering for weeks now. Just buy the razor :D
Nah, I decided to get a Tech....:001_tt2::001_tt2: just kidding:wink2:

It is in the top tier, definitely. It shares space there, among my aggressive razors, with my Futur, Micromatic, Valet and Henckels. I like it better than my Joris, which is also aggressive and my Vision, which is a deli slicer. It shares a lot of characteristics with the Eclipse Red Ring, which is also a great razor, but is tuned to be quite a bit more aggressive.
Thanks for your insight, it's being put to good use.

Have a birthday coming up next month. Put the R41 on my wish list. Can't wait to try it.

Jeff
Cant wait for your critical analyzes of it too.

I'm 10-12 shaves into this razor. Your experience has some similarities with mine.

First though, I'm surprised that you cite the SS Red Tip as an aggressive razor which is even more aggressive than your dialed up Fatboy. I've never used an adjustable razor so I can't appreciate that comparison, but the 57 Red Tip I had seemed woefully mild EVEN compared to my Merkur 23c. I quickly abandoned the Red Tip as it demanded way too many passes, touch-ups, and buffing. Is the 59 version of the Red Tip perhaps a completely differenct animal than the 57?

Anyway, I like you experienced weepers with the R41 and still suffer some currently. I, unlike you however, did not have the restraint to skip the ATG strokes OR the ultra OCD touching up that I have always done with my 23c and my Slant. My first shave was a blood bath of weepers which I have now gotten under control but I also have suffered some more severe nicks, minor cuts, and irritation. Today I'm still recovering from a couple of previous shaves where I nicked my chin and under my nose. I've had to pull out the Alum Block to soothe these issues.

I've used the R41 with a Feather, Perma-sharp, Gillette Yellow, and Iridium Super. The (3) shaves, including this mornings, with the Feather were clearly superior and the Yellow was the worst. The sharpness of the Feather actually seems to REDUCE the hazard of nicks and irritation as it cuts better for me especially where it's difficult to get the "flat angle" that works best with the R41. The other blades are rougher and more dangerous with the bigger angle.

For the last couple of days I've been tolerating these accumulating nicks and minor irritation in the name of mastering this razor. I'm probably going to continue to use the Feather for the next (3) shaves and I expect that my face with fully recover in doing so. I only have (1) Feather blade left after I finish with the one in the razor so hopefully by that time I'll be able to move on to the Perma-sharps or Iridium Supers I have on order that should be received soon. I'll probably order (100) Feathers today in case I can't get it right with the other blades.
Nice overall review, So you say that the mastering of this razor is well worth the weepers/cuts ect. The blades was a factor in the final result that you expected, in this case the feathers is going to be your blades of choice. Are you going to keep it as a top go to daily shaver?

I'm into about a week shaving with my R41. So far I like it a lot. I find it is not like any other razor I own and I have a bunch! So far I have used Yellow 7 O'Clock and Derby blades. The razor has earned my respect and I have been getting very good shaves. The Derby blade lasted longer than the 7 O'clock but I will be testing the Personna Prep next then a Polsilver. I keep planning to go back to my iKon 'new' long hadle to compare shaves but every time I open the medicine cabinet and I see my R41 I can't resist. I did have a couple of weepers at first but I quickly mastered the razor. Still I know I need to be careful with this razor.

Nice overall review, So you say that the mastering of this razor is well worth the weepers/cuts ect. The blades was a factor in the final result that you expected, in this case the feathers is going to be your blades of choice. Are you going to keep it as a top go to daily shaver?

I'm not settled on this razor as my #1 go-to choice. More accurately I'm challenged by it and I won't form my final opinion until I'm getting the same results I got with my Slant. So it's yet to be determined if the weepers and nicks are worth it. Likewise, I'm not ready to state that it only works with a Feather. It's just that the combination of the razor, my still developing R41 technique, and the the Feather has been the best combination. The same thing occured when I was learning the Slant. At one point the Feather proved to be an important component that was less essential once I tightened up my technique. After I learned the Slant the only other razor I used was a Merkur Open Comb Travel Razor which was unacceptably mild (even with a Feather) and resulted in irritation from my attempt to get the Slant results with the travel razor. The R41 has potential to become the next razor that makes all others unsatisfying but its not that yet.

Have a birthday coming up next month. Put the R41 on my wish list. Can't wait to try it.

Jeff

My birthday is at the end of next month but I am tossed between the R41 and a slant. Seems there is no answer to the question of which is better. Like a lot of things in life it appears to be a personal choice. I still have to get use to using a DE again before even considering using the R41 or slant so it would have to sit in the cabinet for awhile before I attempt to use either one.

2nd Shave, even better than the first. One small nick close to my ear and I even shaved in the morning. I always shave at night but didn't get a chance to last night so I did less prep work than usual and still had a great shave. Two passes, no irritation, no touch up work needed. This is now my go-to razor above all else.

I had a great shave with the R41 this morning loaded with a Feather on it's second shave. After a couple of weeks with the razor, this morning I felt more in control of the instrument than ever. I didn't create any new cuts but I irritated a cut from an earlier shave on the point of my chin. That blemish continues to mock my expertise with this razor. This thing is taking me longer than any of my few previous razors to come to terms with. Big Kudos to those that pick this thing up and achieve early success. I'm a slow learner with this thing. This morning I thought "hey I like this thing". I've thought that before but haven't yet put together serveral great shaves in sequence.

I'm not settled on this razor as my #1 go-to choice. More accurately I'm challenged by it and I won't form my final opinion until I'm getting the same results I got with my Slant. So it's yet to be determined if the weepers and nicks are worth it. Likewise, I'm not ready to state that it only works with a Feather. It's just that the combination of the razor, my still developing R41 technique, and the the Feather has been the best combination. The same thing occured when I was learning the Slant. At one point the Feather proved to be an important component that was less essential once I tightened up my technique. After I learned the Slant the only other razor I used was a Merkur Open Comb Travel Razor which was unacceptably mild (even with a Feather) and resulted in irritation from my attempt to get the Slant results with the travel razor. The R41 has potential to become the next razor that makes all others unsatisfying but its not that yet.
Was a a long process to master the slant? Do you think that it will be a long tedious process to master this new head r41 Muhle, and worth the labor of love?

I'm into about a week shaving with my R41. So far I like it a lot. I find it is not like any other razor I own and I have a bunch! So far I have used Yellow 7 O'Clock and Derby blades. The razor has earned my respect and I have been getting very good shaves. The Derby blade lasted longer than the 7 O'clock but I will be testing the Personna Prep next then a Polsilver. I keep planning to go back to my iKon 'new' long hadle to compare shaves but every time I open the medicine cabinet and I see my R41 I can't resist. I did have a couple of weepers at first but I quickly mastered the razor. Still I know I need to be careful with this razor.
So this it it..your making it your go to razor, this info will be taken into account,thanks.
2nd Shave, even better than the first. One small nick close to my ear and I even shaved in the morning. I always shave at night but didn't get a chance to last night so I did less prep work than usual and still had a great shave. Two passes, no irritation, no touch up work needed. This is now my go-to razor above all else.
thnks for all your insight, this is real important for our community.

I had a great shave with the R41 this morning loaded with a Feather on it's second shave. After a couple of weeks with the razor, this morning I felt more in control of the instrument than ever. I didn't create any new cuts but I irritated a cut from an earlier shave on the point of my chin. That blemish continues to mock my expertise with this razor. This thing is taking me longer than any of my few previous razors to come to terms with. Big Kudos to those that pick this thing up and achieve early success. I'm a slow learner with this thing. This morning I thought "hey I like this thing". I've thought that before but haven't yet put together several great shaves in sequence.
Was this prior blemish/cut from the R41? Wouldn't it be better to let this cut get healed so you can achieve better results, and then you can analyze the razor with more certainty.

Last night I had my first shave with the 41. It didn't feel nearly as smooth as my EJ89 but it did have that distinct sound of cutting. Did 2 passes and got a BBS. With my EJ89 and Vintage Gillettes, I very rarely see any blood but with the 41 I did get a nick on each pass in spite of the care I was taking--they both stopped with a cold water splash. I used the Derby that came with it but next time I think I'll try an Astra because of the recommendations of this thread. I'll also try to get a smaller blade angle. It's definitely a challange and forces me to pay extra attention to every detail.

Mine arrived yesterday. I had my first shave with it last night, which isn't ideal because I'd already shaved yesterday morning. But I was having a shower after a football game anyway, so I always shave Thursday nights. Anyway...

I got two cuts on the underside of my nose and a couple more on the neck. Furthermore, I had severe alum burn after shaving. But I love it! It shaves so close, and it tells me that I have a lot to learn. Looking forward to that journey.

Coincidentally, a 1917 Gillette Old Type arrived yesterday. It's similar to the R41 in that it's open comb, but there's nowhere near as much blade exposure. This purchase was inspired by a thread here praising the Old Type to the hilt. Maybe I'll warm up on that for a while before returning to the R41.

I'm on holiday for about 12 days starting tomorrow, though, and only the Merkur HD will be coming with me.

Shaved this AM with R41 using a Personna Hospital Prep blade - This was much better than the Derby and yellow 7 O'Clock. Excellent shave! I am getting more proficient with the R41 as well so in all fairness I should try those blades again. I still want to try this razor with an IP and a Polsilver.

Was a a long process to master the slant? Do you think that it will be a long tedious process to master this new head r41 Muhle, and worth the labor of love?

If I recall correctly, the Slant took me 3-5 shaves to get comfortable with and I've already more than doubled that training period with the R41.

Even after this mornings great shave I wouldn't call myself proficient. I went with a Feather on it's 3rd shave and it performed splendidly. It probably could have gone another shave but I'm usually "2 and out" with Feathers so getting 3 was a bonus. I only have 1 Feather left to use in my R41 boot camp training. I did get a minor nick on my neck after clumsily slapping the razor head against my skin but other than than the shave was butter AND the sting/burn from my Clubman splash was milder than any shave in recent memory. This is a shaving irritation litmus test for me.

If I can string together 3 or 4 R41 shaves like this mornings I'll consider myself capable of handling the "widow maker". Then I'll re-visit my old flame Slant and determine if the R41 is truly the superior shaving tool. There is a tribe that expect the virtues of the Slant to triumph and that coupling with the R41 is like an unhealthy dysfunctional, codependent relationship that neither party can bring themselves to end.

Remember I am far from a DE all-star as I only started using them in January 2011. My only experience with DE's includes the Merkur 23c, Gillette '57 Red Tip, Merkur 37c Slant, and the Merkur Open Comb Travel Razor. But my experiences with these razors and many of the frequently recommended blades is fairly consistent with the veterans on this forum.

Top Bottom