What's new

Mühle R86 SR

I recently got into wet shaving and started out with a Feather AS-DS1. It is a fantastic razor and one I plan on keeping, but I fell prey to RAD and I would like to test something else. In the very near future, I have in mind to buy the Merkur Futur and a Mühle. I was already kinda set on the Mühle R41 because I am intrigued by the reviews I have been reading about it. A couple of days ago, however, I saw online the Mühle R86 SR, with a handle made of bog oak and I love the way it looks. I understand that the R86 would be quite different from the R41 (it is not an open comb DE, for one), but I don't seem to find any review about it. Has anybody ever tried it?

Its because the R86 has the same head as the Edwin jagger 89 series, Muhle 89 series. The only difference being the handle. There probably isnt alot of reviews of specific razors like that. Yes, the 86 will be MILES away from the R41 in aggression. If you want an aggressive razor, pull the trigger on the 41, if you want a razor you can make mild one day, and almost as aggressive as the R41 then buy the Futur. Ive owned both, if I had to rebuy one, it would be the Futur. You wont regret buying the futur or the 86, but there is a fair chance of not being able to use the 41 and be happy with it, as many members here are. But many members love it too, so its either you love it or hate it, not much in between on that one.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Thank you for all the info! I will definitely get the Futur because I want an adjustable razor. Now I will just need to decide between the R41 (a bit scared of it, especially since I am a newbie) and the R86 - leaning toward the latter, after your suggestions :001_smile

Yeahhh, IMO, I think the 86 will make you happier right now.....Of course, the R41 will sell on the bst in under 10 seconds if you did not like it anymore........There! A few more varibles for you to ponder over!!! :001_tongu:wink2:

I strongly recommend a look at the R89. This little marvel makes you forget that there is a blade in the razor. I think it's uncanny how efficient but smooth it is.

Thank you for all the info! I will definitely get the Futur because I want an adjustable razor. Now I will just need to decide between the R41 (a bit scared of it, especially since I am a newbie) and the R86 - leaning toward the latter, after your suggestions :001_smile

I've used the Futur for few years now. It is an OK razor but its size and shape make getting the moustache region done more effort-laden than it needs to be. If I were to get an adjustable now, based on the reviews, I would get the new long-handled Merkur Progress. It's about the same price.

Thanks, Teddyboy! Since the head of the R89 is the same as the R86, then both razors should shave the same way. With everything being equal, I am leaning toward the R86 SR because... well, in my opinion, it looks sick (even better than my Feather AS-DS1). Of course, it does cost a little more, but hopefully it's also going to last me long enough that it won't be an issue. I will be going on a vacation in a couple of weeks, so I will probably order the R86 and the Futur when I return.

I saw the Progress, but I just thought that the Futur was much better looking (as always, we all have our preferences). However, given that shaving under the nose is one of the areas where I am still having some trouble with the Feather AS-DS1, I might have to look at the Progress a little more. Thanks again, Teddyboy :001_smile

I just shaved with my new Muhel 89 this very morning. I am mainly a straight razor shaver. But I have a few old gilette razors I use if I'm in a hurry or for a change. But I've always liked the look of the Muhel razors. So I ordered one and I must say I truely was amazed at how it shaves! I didn't find it aggresive in the least, but I was truely amazed at the result of the closeness of the shave with only 1 pass. It came with a Derby blade so that is what I used. Anywat that's my 2 cents worth...............................JR

Top Bottom