What's new

Muddy's Meanderings

I was Jinxed! Notes From The Edge
Thanks @Seveneighth :)

Straight Razor Shave #41
2019/02/08 Shave:

Prep - Noxzema, Hot towel**, Lather*, Hot towel**, DIY Pre-Shave Oil
Razor - Pearlduck Dubl Duck Special No. 1, Blue Diamond S.R.Droescher #106, Gem 1912/Gem SS(6)
Soap - Stubble Buster's Game
Brush - Graydog Olivewood/Black Palm knotted w/ Omega Pro 10098
Post - Alum, Thayer's Cucumber Witch Hazel, Hot Towel**, Sea Breeze Sensitive, Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve
Passes - 3 2WTG, 1 steep buffing ATG
Result - BBS

Finished first pass, clear sailing. Started second, was thinking to self, "Blue Diamond is noticeably sharper than Dubl-Duck today". Switch to throat and notice, visually, about an 1 1/2" trail of blood coming from right in front of my ear lobe***. Manage another toe cut on my throat, decided chin was a no go, doing third pass with Gem.

While doing steep buffing ATG, discovered a 3rd, previously nonbleeding flap of skin along jawline, obviously from a toe cut. Snagged, welled up, but no active bleed.

I will be getting a file and making a round point in the near future. Double jinxed! Just commented yesterday in a thread that I don't like Square points! Which is your favorite straight razor point? Thanks @Kayjun :)

Other than cuts, alum was quiet. Styptic took care of 2 initial cuts.

@Somerled, Great Idea!

Shave 0208-03.jpg
about 4 hrs. after

WT?0208-02.jpg ****

0208-01.jpg

*Graydog Black Palm knotted w/ Stirling Boar Brush
** Scented with Spearmint and Eucalyptus EO
*** where, if I do a toe cut, I will always do it there.
****Eyeglass lanyard when went to take shave photo. Had no idea what was going on at first.

I was Jinxed! Notes From The Edge
Thanks @Seveneighth :)

Straight Razor Shave #41
2019/02/08 Shave:

Razor - Pearlduck Dubl Duck Special No. 1, Blue Diamond S.R.Droescher #106, Gem 1912/Gem SS(6)
Post - Alum, Thayer's Cucumber Witch Hazel, Hot Towel**, Sea Breeze Sensitive, Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve
Passes - 3 2WTG, 1 steep buffing ATG
Result - BBS

Finished first pass, clear sailing. Started second, was thinking to self, "Blue Diamond is noticeably sharper than Dubl-Duck today". Switch to throat and notice, visually, about an 1 1/2" trail of blood coming from right in front of my ear lobe***. Manage another toe cut on my throat, decided chin was a no go, doing third pass with Gem.

While doing steep buffing ATG, discovered a 3rd, previously nonbleeding flap of skin along jawline, obviously from a toe cut. Snagged, welled up, but no active bleed.

I will be getting a file and making a round point in the near future. Double jinxed! Just commented yesterday in a thread that I don't like Square points! Which is your favorite straight razor point? Thanks @Kayjun :)

Other than cuts, alum was quiet. Styptic took care of 2 initial cuts.

@Somerled, Great Idea!

ShaveView attachment 950797
about 4 hrs. after

WT?View attachment 950796 ****

*** where, if I do a toe cut, I will always do it there.
****Eyeglass lanyard when went to take shave photo. Had no idea what was going on at first.

Some days there's no point in fighting against the razor.
You won't win!

My little Japanese Hoshi Tombo is a square point and it regularly bites.
More or less solved it though by not using it :001_tt2:

I'll go back to it once I get bored with perfect shaves from my other razors.

Some days there's no point in fighting against the razor.
You won't win!

More or less solved it though by not using it :001_tt2:

I'll go back to it once I get bored with perfect shaves from my other razors.

For years I only ever used round points. Anything else is dangerous - I find I have to consciously keep away from the toe on anything else.

2019/02/08 Shave:

Razor - New LC, Personna(8)
Post - Alum, Thayer's Cucumber Witch Hazel, Hot Towel**, Sea Breeze Sensitive, Nivea Sensitive ASB
Passes - 2 WTG, steep buffing ATG
Result - DFS

Seems blade is dulling, still comfortable, but shave not as good. Might be due to more ginger, different direction buff, due to skin flaps from yesterday

Throat 0209-02.jpg Cheek0209-03.jpg
Immediately after shave. I'm guessing fibers are me putting on shirt(soft polyester T-shirt) after shaving.

0209-01.jpg

Those fibers are everywhere. :)
More or less solved it though by not using it

For years I only ever used round points.

I'll be rounding that toe in the near future. So is buying a file to round a toe on a SR considered a maintenance expense or just a shaving expense in the sabbatical? I'll ask it in the Sabbatical thread.

Photos later in the day.
Throat0209-06.jpg Cheek(Zoomed)0209-04.jpg
Around noon
Throat0209-07.jpg Cheek0209-08.jpg
Cheek(Zoomed)0209-09.jpg
Around 5:30

Figured out how to zoom today. Later how to un-zoom. :)

How did you zoom?
Was it the software?
My 'scope only has a focus wheel.

Mine only has a focus wheel as well,WIN_20190209_23_53_36_Pro.jpg
but not paying attention, I kept spinning it in the 1000X direction (would be well past focus) until a black thing(lens holder) comes out
WIN_20190209_23_55_05_Pro.jpg

At some point it will come into focus again, magnified. That is why later, I figured out how to un-magnify. Was fiddling at the controls trying to figure out what I had done, and then, contrary to any focusing device I've ever used, decided to just keep turning, (way past focusing) sort of like the labeling indicates, and then viola, its starts coming into focus again, either larger or smaller depending on direction your turning.

Mine only has a focus wheel as well,View attachment 951335
but not paying attention, I kept spinning it in the 1000X direction (would be well past focus) until a black thing(lens holder) comes outView attachment 951336
At some point it will come into focus again, magnified. That is why later, I figured out how to un-magnify. Was fiddling at the controls trying to figure out what I had done, and then, contrary to any focusing device I've ever used, decided to just keep turning, (way past focusing) sort of like the labeling indicates, and then viola, its starts coming into focus again, either larger or smaller depending on direction your turning.

Which scope is it ? I bought a cheap one from Amazon but never got it working.

Mine only has a focus wheel as well,View attachment 951335
but not paying attention, I kept spinning it in the 1000X direction (would be well past focus) until a black thing(lens holder) comes outView attachment 951336

Mine is pretty much identical to yours.
So, I moved the wheel over to 1000x and had problems getting it to focus properly.
It also has a zoom button on mine, pressed it, nothing happened. But for some reason I can now focus on max, and minimum zoom.
It's very jittery at max, hard to keep the scope from moving around constantly.

WIN_20190210_12_11_49_Pro.jpg

Which scope is it ? I bought a cheap one from Amazon but never got it working.

This is the one I bought from Amazon UK.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06WD843ZM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I never bothered with the software for it. Plugged it in and windows 10 says it's setting up the USB camera device.
Wait until it's finished, a few seconds, and then open up the camera app that windows 10 has built in.
Easy peasy.
Only thing is the "snap" button doesn't work on my scope, probably because I never installed the software for it.

So, I moved the wheel over to 1000x and had problems getting it to focus properly.
It also has a zoom button on mine, pressed it, nothing happened. But for some reason I can now focus on max, and minimum zoom.

View attachment 951395

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06WD843ZM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I never bothered with the software for it. Plugged it in and windows 10 says it's setting up the USB camera device.
Wait until it's finished, a few seconds, and then open up the camera app that windows 10 has built in.
Easy peasy.
Only thing is the "snap" button doesn't work on my scope, probably because I never installed the software for it.
Thanks

2019/02/10 Shave:

Prep - Noxzema, Hot towel*, Lather, Hot towel*, DIY Pre-Shave Oil
Razor - Gem 1912/Gem SS(7)
Soap - Stubble Buster's Game**, Wild West Shaving Company's Pinkerton***
Post - Alum, Thayer's Cucumber Witch Hazel, Hot Towel**, Sea Breeze Sensitive, Chatillon Lux's Bon Vivant****
Result - DFS

*Scented with Eucalyptus and Spearmint EOs
**3017'ed
*** Next most likely to 3017, plus dislike it's small container. I like the performance and aroma of the soap.
****It's a shame they discontinued this. Wonderful aroma. Glad someone PIF'ed it to me

0210-01.jpg

Ran over intentionally S-N to removing hanging skin

I'll post immediately after, and later posts all together, at the end of the day, or tomorrow morning. Wanting to remember to do a 24 hr. photo before shaving. We'll see :)

View attachment 951395

Easy peasy.
Very jittery! You would think holding it against your skin would minimize it, but even the slightest pressure changes it at that mag. Hard to realize how much that magnification actually is until trying to stabilize it. I was a amateur astronomer for a while so have dealt with some of it before. Holding your eye inline with, but not touching the eyepiece, turning focus, removing hand, seeing if more focused, repeat until focused. Glad my telescope had the right mount so that if setup correctly, could track stars and planets short term by just turning a knob. Having to jiggle to knobs and see if you actually moved it the right directions was a pain with plain mounts. Loved when I got an electronic tracking one!

Nice to know, I like having two apps, because I have the built in camera, and don't like having to select options before running an app. Had I not been IT, easy way to not deal with "Run as" and/or security changes. What is snap supposed to do? The docs are very reminiscent of 1970-80 Chinese documentation. :)

You picked the exact same camera, except from the UK site, "Jiusion 40 to 1000x Magnification Endoscope". Even the same stand and graphics. Yours was 3 pounds less than my dollars, so slightly in my favor there.

It offered a 30x 60x loupe at $1.00 off when I ordered the microscope, which was great because I was torn between which to get!

What is snap supposed to do? The docs are very reminiscent of 1970-80 Chinese documentation. :)

I presumed snap means take a picture.
Also presumed it didn't work because I never downloaded and installed the software it said to do.

When I bought mine it offered me a 60X mini pocket scope for a £1

lilscope.jpg

Took 3 weeks to arrive from China, but I use it more than any other loupe.

I presumed snap means take a picture.
Also presumed it didn't work because I never downloaded and installed the software it said to do.

When I bought mine it offered me a 60X mini pocket scope for a £1

View attachment 951438

Took 3 weeks to arrive from China, but I use it more than any other loupe.

Nice Loupe, the offset lighting I imagine makes it great! Mine was the standard style two-lens loupe, with lighting almost directly across from subject, good for reflecting light at you :(, so lighting not optimal for SRs, but you don't have to use supplied lighting.

Re-Reading the instructions. They have one with a "TV port" output as well, RCA maybe?

Snap and zoom apparently work with "amcap" software? ahh, found this link AMCap as well as others, haven't tried it yet. Freeware video capture program. Guess is licensing restriction prohibit distribution as a package by 3rd parties.

The app I installed (from the CD) allows for annotating the captures done, as well as measuring, if it has been calibrated. It also allows to change the camera resolution. It doesn't affect the capture file, just the viewing. So the lower res setting allows for easier focusing, but resulting picture is the same, A digital zoom in effect basically.

Yesterday's closeups.
0210-01.jpg

7:00am
cheek0210-02.jpg neck0210-03.jpg
2:00pm
cheek0210-14.jpg neck0210-15.jpg
7:00pm
cheek0210-16.jpg neck0210-17.jpg Not sure, might be a hair trying to ingrow.
Midnight
cheek0210-19.jpg neck0210-20.jpg

And par for course, forgot 'til lathered 24hr. :(

It's interesting how against the skin so many neck hair are.

Monday Menthol Moderation
2019/02/11 Shave:

Prep - Noxzema, Hot towel*, Lather**, Hot towel*, DIY Pre-Shave Oil
Razor - New LC, Personna(9)
Soap - Proraso Green
Post - Alum, Thayer's Cucumber Witch Hazel, Hot Towel*, Sea Breeze Sensitive, Blade for Men(CVS) Arctic Blue
Result - BBS

* Scented with Spearmint and Eucalyptus EO
**Graydog Black Palm knotted w/ Stirling Boar Brush

Yesterday's closeups.

7:00am
cheekView attachment 951769 neckView attachment 951770
2:00pm
cheekView attachment 951771 neckView attachment 951772
7:00pm
cheekView attachment 951773 neckView attachment 951774 Not sure, might be a hair trying to ingrow.
Midnight
cheekView attachment 951775 neckView attachment 951776

And par for course, forgot 'til lathered 24hr. :(

It's interesting how against the skin so many neck hair are.

Would be cool if you could do a time lapse of the same spot on your skin and watch the bristles grow.
Should be easy enough - just superglue the scope to your face and try not to move around too much :001_tt2:

Only joking of course :001_smile. But you seem to be enjoying taking extreme closeups of your facial skin.
BTW, your cheeks are a slightly different colour to your neck.:001_rolle

Top Bottom