What's new

Muddy's Meanderings

It's like the blade only partially cut through the whiskers and then peeled the rest off.
Fairly cleanly I might add.
I think at some point, the hair lays over. Its a transition area, so I am running S-N, and it seems to get pushed over W-E(like mowing grass that's too high). I'll try specifically stretching skin in that area to see if it helps. Doesn't seem to happen with my SE, and I have been looking for it since I've first noticed it.

I think at some point, the hair lays over. Its a transition area, so I am running S-N, and it seems to get pushed over W-E(like mowing grass that's too high). I'll try specifically stretching skin in that area to see if it helps. Doesn't seem to happen with my SE, and I have been looking for it since I've first noticed it.
How much are you skin stretching? Do you use alum on your fingers when you stretch? If the hairs were pulled more upright then you would surely get a more horizontal cut.

How much are you skin stretching? Do you use alum on your fingers when you stretch? If the hairs were pulled more upright then you would surely get a more horizontal cut.
Very little, none with safeties. That is why I though stretching, particularly there would help. When maneuvering the microscope, you can actually see the shafts positions move around. Stretching might not move it more vertical, but would make it less likely to move while being cut. I guess I could reach around my skull and stretch, that would make most of the shafts in that area more vertical.

2019/02/17 Shave:

Prep - Noxzema, Microfiber Hot towel*, Lather, Microfiber Hot towel*, DIY Pre-Shave Oil, Proraso Green Pre-shave**
Razor - Gem 1912/Gem SS(9)
Brush - Zenith B25
Soap - Proraso Green
Post - Alum, Thayer's Cucumber Witch Hazel, DIY Pre-Shave Oil, Microfiber Hot Towel*, Avon Leather
Passes - 2 ATG
Result - BBS

*New Microfiber hot towels - a step up in the pampering from dish towels. I'll need to fine tune the water, but was so nice on my face. A thread about them made me want to try something different, and $3.99 from Ross was a no-brainer to try them!

** Have some congestion today, so was going heavy with the aromatics to help alleviate. My DIY oil has cinnamon oil in it.

Forgot to add this pic this morning:
0217-01.jpg

Found this on my chest, just below my neckline. Don't know why a bit of loose stubble I find interesting

Monday Menthol Madness, Madness, Madness, Cough, Madness :)
2019/02/18 Shave:

Prep - Noxzema, Microfiber Hot towel*, Lather, Microfiber Hot towel*, Proraso Green Pre-shave**
Razor - Gem 1912/Gem SS(9)
Brush - Graydog Black Palm with Stirling Knot
Post - Alum, Thayer's Medicated Witch Hazel, Microfiber Hot Towel*, Blade for Men(CVS) Arctic Blue
Passes - 2 ATG
Result - High DFS, BBS - would need cotton ball to determine along jaw -too lazy :)
Nose - Zicam Intense Sinus Relief with Menthol & Eucalyptus
Chest - Vicks VapoRub

Congestion is ongoing, decide to co-opt Menthol Monday for dual purpose.

*Scented with Eucalyptus EO and Menthol Bath Salts

0204191521-00.jpg

Straight Razor Shave #45
2019/02/19 Shave:

Prep - Noxzema, Hot towel*, Lather, Hot towel*, DIY Pre-Shave Oil
Razor - Gold Dollar #66
Soap - Wild West Shaving Company's Pinkerton
Brush - Graydog Black Palm knotted w/ Stirling knot
Post - Alum, Hot towel*, Thayer's Cucumber Witch Hazel, DIY Pre-Shave Oil, Sea Breeze Sensitive, Grey Flannel
Passes - 2 WTG, XTG
Result - CCS

Microscope photos did not show poor cuts when stretching skin on that area of neck better. Not a particularly close shave, but changing up the norm.

* Scented with Eucalyptus EO and Menthol bath salts

Straight Razor Shave #46
2019/02/21 Shave:

Razor - Gold Dollar #66
Brush - Vie-Long 12601
Post - Alum, Hot towel*, Thayer's Cucumber Witch Hazel, Sea Breeze Sensitive, Avon Wild Country
Passes - 2 WTG, XTG
Result - CCS

Microscope showed a few poorer cuts, but not as bad as original scrapes. Stretching appears to be working, but I need more practice.

My yesterdays shave seems to have disappeared?

2019/02/20 Shave:

Prep - Noxzema, Microfiber Hot towel*, Lather, Microfiber Hot towel*, DIY Oil
Razor - Gem 1912/Gem SS(11)
Brush - Luxury 10-5
Post - Alum, Thayer's Medicated Witch Hazel, Microfiber Hot Towel*, Avon Leather
Passes - 2 ATG
Result - BBS

Microfiber hot towel allows scent to be more noticeable. Breaths through the material more than traditional dish towels. Too much water can be wringed from the material, causing it to cool too quickly if not careful.

2019/02/22 Shave:

Prep - Noxzema, Microfiber Hot towel*, Lather, Microfiber Hot towel*, DIY Oil
Razor - Gem 1912/Gem SS(12)
Brush - Graydog Olivewood&Black Palm 10098
Post - Alum, Thayer's Medicated Witch Hazel, Microfiber Hot Towel*, Pinaud Clubman
Passes - 2 ATG - 1 Buffing. 1 Cross-hatching
Result - BBS
Photo of chin. A lot of the hairs here seem to come almost straight out. Brown, Red, and Gray
0222-01.jpg

Straight Razor Shave #47
2019/02/23 Shave:

Razor - Gold Dollar #66
Brush - Graydog's Black Palm w/ Stirling Knot
Post - Alum, Hot towel*, Thayer's Cucumber Witch Hazel, Sea Breeze Sensitive, Nivea Sensitive ASB
Passes - 2 WTG, XTG
Result - CCS

* Scented with Eucalyptus EO and Menthol bath salts Regular Dish Towels

2019/02/22 Shave:

Prep - Noxzema, Hot towel*, Lather, Hot towel*, DIY Oil
Razor - Gem 1912/Gem SS(14)**
Brush - Omega Pro 10098
Post - Alum, Thayer's Medicated Witch Hazel, Hot Towel*, Art of Shaving Sandalwood ASB
Result - BBS

*Scented with Sandalwood FO and EO, and Lemon, Cedarwood, Patchouli, and Cinnamon EOs. Provided a gentle warmth during and post shave. Will reserve judgement 'til tomorrow on scent. First day scents are normally subdued.

** Added additional use for various usages during SR shaves.

Are you experiencing better performance with the microfiber hot towels over normal?

It is easier to breath through, and a softer experience. Not sure how it would compare to plush hand drying towels. Less water is needed, so a shorter nuke time is used. And you have more control over how much water is left in the towels. I have to be careful not to wring too much water out when using them.

I imagine plush hand towels would be most luxurious, but I would have to use my salad fork and spoon to wring moisture out before use. Would be too hot for using my hands. I have said fork and spoon in bathroom from times I've left the dishtowels too wet when heating them.

Micromatic Menthol Monday
2019/02/25 Shave:

Prep - Noxzema, Hot towel*, Lather, Hot towel*, Proraso Green Pre-Shave
Razor - Gem 1912/Gem SS(15)
Brush - Graydog Black Palm w/ Stirling boar knot
Soap - Pacific Shave Company's Caffeinated, Proraso Green
Post - Alum, Thayer's Medicated Witch Hazel, Hot Towel*, Avon Wild Country
Result - BBS

*Scented with Sandalwood FO and EO, and Lemon, Cedarwood, Patchouli, and Cinnamon EOs. Provided a gentle warmth during and post shave. Liked the combination.

Straight Razor Shave #48
2019/02/26 Shave:

Razor - Gold Dollar #66
Brush - Graydog's Black Palm w/ Stirling Knot
Post - Alum, Thayer's Cucumber Witch Hazel, Hot towel*, Sea Breeze Sensitive, Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve
Passes - 2 WTG, XTG
Result - CCS

*Scented with Sandalwood FO and EO, and Lemon, Cedarwood, Patchouli, and Cinnamon EOs.

An attempted ingress:
0226-02.jpg

Cut piece of hair at high magnification:
0226-01.jpg

Straight Razor Shave #49
2019/02/27 Shave:

Razor - Gold Dollar #66
Soap - Pre de Provence
Brush - Zenith B25
Post - Alum, Thayer's Medicated Witch Hazel, Hot towel*, Sea Breeze Sensitive, Nivea Sensitive ASB, Thunder by Dorall Collection EDT
Passes - 2 WTG, XTG
Result - DFS

Growing in my Circle Beard/Van Dyke? Started yesterday actually
*Scented with Sandalwood FO and EO, and Lemon, Cedarwood, Patchouli, and Cinnamon EOs.

My Playlist today:
3 Doors Down

Chin hairs this morning:
0227-01.jpg

Top Bottom