What's new

Mucking Around with Products

I was introduced to shaving with a brush and nice cream (AOS) three years ago and have gradually added to my kit since (still using a Gillette fusion but ready to make the leap to a DE). I've been reading this forum for quite a bit and it strikes me as too much fun to remain a wallflower.

At any rate:

Has anyone tinkered with some of their products. I'm considering mashing up some rosemary, and adding a couple sprigs too, maybe adding a bit of lime zest and maybe even some cucumber to my Thayer's Witch Hazel (aloe).

No particular reason other than a basic tinkerer's delight in tinkering, too much rosemary in my garden, and and a completely uninformed notion that this stuff might have some skin-care virtue (I ought to and intend to research this more when time allows).

Has anyone doctored their products with results that they enjoy? Or with adverse effect?

I was introduced to shaving with a brush and nice cream (AOS) three years ago and have gradually added to my kit since (still using a Gillette fusion but ready to make the leap to a DE). I've been reading this forum for quite a bit and it strikes me as too much fun to remain a wallflower.

At any rate:

Has anyone tinkered with some of their products. I'm considering mashing up some rosemary, and adding a couple sprigs too, maybe adding a bit of lime zest and maybe even some cucumber to my Thayer's Witch Hazel (aloe).

No particular reason other than a basic tinkerer's delight in tinkering, too much rosemary in my garden, and and a completely uninformed notion that this stuff might have some skin-care virtue (I ought to and intend to research this more when time allows).

Has anyone doctored their products with results that they enjoy? Or with adverse effect?

First off, let me be the first to welcome you on board! :w00t:

I've tinkered with some products before.... just make sure to research the hell out of what you are putting into your products, as well as what is in the products first. For example - without preservatives, a lot of things will rot, and foul up whole item you were trying to improve. Also - a lot of things you'd think would be "good" to add in will burn the ever living bejesus outta your freshly shaven skin.

For the most part - i'd suggest not messing with stuff TOO much.

:smile:

welcome,
the only "tinkering" that I have done is to mix the AOS pre-shave oil with the cream while mixing it up. My Shave was Superb.

Welcome aboard, Henry.

Joel's cautions are worth paying attention to. Tinkering is cool, but you should research what the possible negative effects of a combo could be. Also (from personal experience), when combining ingredients, do so in small batches. If you just drop some ingredients in the top of your bottle of witch hazel and the combo is bad, then you ruined the whole bottle.

Welcome to B&B Henry!

Tinker away but carefully-who knows, you may come up with a winning combo that we all like and have to try. :wink:

Marty

Welcome to B&B Henry!
Just a thought, I personally love tinkering (a couple EO's and some good melt & pour soap can be quite rewarding sometimes-and ask me about my clove or vetiver EO scented AOS....)
Something that may help, mix only small batches. Thayers is expensive (relatively) so why not pour some into a smaller container, and perform the experiment on that container first before risking the whole bottle....
That way if something ruins a sample, you're only out 1/2 cup or so, not the whole bottle...
John P.

Top Bottom