What's new

Most Moisturizing Soap?

I'm usually a cream guy, but I've been dabbling in soaps lately. Sometimes, though I feel that my skin really dries out. I don't usually like balms because they often irritate my skin.

So I just wanted to do an informal poll. What is the most moisturizing shaving soap in your opinion? If you can explain why, please do. Thanks so much!

really i can only gauge my opinion on how my skin feels post shave, but i would recommend: institut karite, pre de provence, and MWF in that order.

i also really enjoy using both the IK and PdP balms after my AS...

MWF is certainly at the top of my list. IK, unfortunately, burned me...lovely scent, though. Valobra stick is also pretty moisturizing, as is VDH Deluxe--love that Shea Butter.

In the non winter months, I can pass on the balm/moisturizer when I use AOS or Valobra (stick).

MWF is certainly at the top of my list. IK, unfortunately, burned me...lovely scent, though. Valobra stick is also pretty moisturizing, as is VDH Deluxe--love that Shea Butter.

I disagree with you on the VDH Deluxe. Shaved with it yesterday and my skin felt very dry almost taut over my face afterwards. Fortunately the CVS ASB (Mennen clone) helped to fix that. A good shave other than that though.
I have found that Mamma Bear's soaps work ok for me in that department along with ltlsuse's soaps. Also Col. Conk's shaving soaps are good too. Stay away from Williams if you're looking for moisturizing, doesn't have it.

Just tried IK for the first time this week. Amazing in the moisturizing department. I can definitely tell the difference from my other soaps. A puck of MWF is winging it's way to me now. Only then can I compare them but as mentioned it is another highly moisturizing soap.

I really don't look to my soap or cream to be especially moisturizing - that's what balm and/or a moisturizer is for.

That being said, look for stuff with tallow and/or shea butter - both of those ingredients make my face happy - especially in the winter.

I really don't look to my soap or cream to be especially moisturizing - that's what balm and/or a moisturizer is for.

That being said, look for stuff with tallow and/or shea butter - both of those ingredients make my face happy - especially in the winter.

Chris brings up an excellent point, as usual. Perhaps the question at hand should be which soap is the least drying.

I have no experience with soaps -- the creams I use do really well, so my question is ... if you have creams that work well for you, why go for a soap if it means a lot of work to find something that is as good? Nothing wrong with that, just wondering.

I have no experience with soaps -- the creams I use do really well, so my question is ... if you have creams that work well for you, why go for a soap if it means a lot of work to find something that is as good? Nothing wrong with that, just wondering.

you say work, i say education and fulfillment!

Hi.

The most moisturizing soap I have tryed is a plain olive soap, also called aleppo soap. I build the lather direct on the face, however it doesn't create much lather. The lather disappears pretty cuick, but still you can feel how the skin is moisturized and it feels like it gets wetter after a while. A very good feeling and also afterwords your skin is very soft and feels good and smell natural. At first I was a bit conserned shaving with hardly any visible lather, but it was very slick even with a Feather in a slant bar.

Maybe try adding some glycerin to the soaps you already have.

Keep trying balms until you find one that doesn't irritate.

Well, I also thought creams did really well...then I tried soaps.

A whole........'nother.........level!:w00t:

Creams and soaps both perform well, but there is a difference and personal preferences come into play.

While I'm primarily a soap guy, I've been using creams more than usual lately and am quite impressed with the TOBS products.

As for a drying soap, I used Monsavon today and found it pretty drying (which is why I don't use it that often). I also find the C&E soaps to be drying.

That being said, a good balm or moisturizer means that, at the end of the shave, its not the soap that determines how my skin feels - I use a balm or moisturizer every day, but my preferences change with the seasons/how my skin feels.

Creams are more convenient.

Soaps give a better shave.

That's just my own experience talking, which doesn't account for much.

(obligatory) YMMV

I'm of the opinion that the most moisturiing soaps in my hive are Tabac and MWF. Creams are a different story, and my rare tube of Irisch Moos cream is moisturizing as all-get-out. Close relative of Tabac, and that explains it.

Top Bottom