What's new

Most expensive straight razor in your collection and why?

wacker.jpg

Just had the need to own one .Love the performance of this blade .

Most expensive out of pocket was this 10/8 Rodgers Dutch Rattler.
View attachment 943486 View attachment 943487 View attachment 943488

This 10/8 Anchor Butcher got the biggest unsolicited offer. Kept shooing the guy away and he kept upping till he hit $1500 got shooed one last time and probably realized it is not for sale and he was negotiating with himself (bless him for offering, but not everything is for sale...)
View attachment 943489

This 9/8 Buffalo Hunt Butcher is probably up there as well. I know of no others.
View attachment 943490 View attachment 943491 View attachment 943492
Very nice I would not let them go either.

Beautiful razors Gentlemen!

I'm new to the straight razor world, it's only been one week since I bought my first and I'm still in the "buy every thing I see and sort them out later" stage (and I'm only spending $5 to $20 for them). I enjoy collecting, I like learning the history something (the older the better for me), I also like using what I collect, that's why razors work well for me.

Being a newbie, I have lots of questions, one of which is what makes one straight razor more desirable than the next? Is it the maker, blade, scales, is it because it's rare or unique, is it condition, or is it all of the above?

Here's one that I think might might be desirable/valuable. It's not in the best condition but I think it has potential, but what do I know. I haven't decided yet, to restore it or just clean it up. I guess that depends on what I learn in the next few weeks.

20190118_161433.jpg

20190118_161443.jpg

It's radically unsafe, send it to me for clinical disposal :D

Geo. Wostenholm are my favourite razors, good steel - hard for the era - a perennial favourite for collectors.

Beautiful razors Gentlemen!

I'm new to the straight razor world, it's only been one week since I bought my first and I'm still in the "buy every thing I see and sort them out later" stage (and I'm only spending $5 to $20 for them). I enjoy collecting, I like learning the history something (the older the better for me), I also like using what I collect, that's why razors work well for me.

Being a newbie, I have lots of questions, one of which is what makes one straight razor more desirable than the next? Is it the maker, blade, scales, is it because it's rare or unique, is it condition, or is it all of the above?

Here's one that I think might might be desirable/valuable. It's not in the best condition but I think it has potential, but what do I know. I haven't decided yet, to restore it or just clean it up. I guess that depends on what I learn in the next few weeks.

View attachment 945527
View attachment 945528
Thats a terrible razor you better send it to Lord Fatboy so he can render it useless.......lol.

Just kidding....that is a beauty and with a little love it would be a stunner BUT in saying that its also worth having profesionally restored, in my opinion, so that you can enjoy shaving with it for generation to come.

It's radically unsafe, send it to me for clinical disposal :D

Geo. Wostenholm are my favourite razors, good steel - hard for the era - a perennial favourite for collectors.

Lol. It does look a lot like an axe and if nothing else, I could probably chop wood with it.

But seriously, does this look like a good candidate to have professionally restored? I paid very little for it and I don't plan on reselling it.

Thats a terrible razor you better send it to Lord Fatboy so he can render it useless.......lol.

Just kidding....that is a beauty and with a little love it would be a stunner BUT in saying that its also worth having profesionally restored, in my opinion, so that you can enjoy shaving with it for generation to come.

Ha, you were reading my mind (see above) . I believe that's what I'll do.

Lol. It does look a lot like an axe and if nothing else, I could probably chop wood with it.

But seriously, does this look like a good candidate to have professionally restored? I paid very little for it and I don't plan on reselling it.
Yeah, I'd say it's a good candidate for restoration.

IMHO Your Razor is a great candidate for a professional restore .I would highly recommend doc226 .

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
View attachment 943494 The one's I've paid the most for were a rare Wade and Butcher "Improved Tang" fully restored and completely original by JR.

JR had come into an inventory of F. Herder. He's been making custom scales for those men who he knows. He offered to cut me a deal, and I took him up on the offer.

To answer why, I was drawn to the Depew "Monkey Tail" when I discovered my favorite Sheffield maker, Wade and Butcher also produced a similar product. That it has an extra hollow was a plus.

The Herder was purchased so I could experience a wide blade that had no blade problems at an affordable cost.

Nice razors. JR is doing well by you.

Thank you Gentlemen. I will keep doc226 in Mind. Right now I have 4 being honed by a local guy, he said he restores razors also. When I pick up my razors, I'm going to see if I can look at his work.
that wosty is amazing...I would be sad if something happened to it because the persons abilities were not as good as they claimed! please make sure they know what you're doing before you give them something so beautiful :)

My most expensive one? In order of cost, my razors

1. The one I found which was mailed to @Luecke2326 for clean-up, rust neutralizing, and honing. (postage)
2. The one on loan from @Dick peck. Not mine actually, will be returning shortly. (Gas, but was there actually)
3. A GD PIF from @valthun (My labor, which will be free, but will probably make it my favorite, at least until I buy one, and likely even after that)

I would have never started SR shaving without such generosity. After posting a picture of my Blue Diamond in the General shaving forum, Luecke2326 offered to stop the active rust on it, and get it shave ready. At that point, I somewhat felt obligated to use it. (BTW Luecke, I have been posting my shaves with it in Muddy's Meanderings)

While waiting for it to be returned, I spearheaded the DFW Get-together? (which the 6 month meeting is upcoming) into happening. By that I would just announce, after feedback, the date, and later the place of it. Otherwise it never gets past the "when" phase. Dick Peck had SRs he wanted people to try, so I accepted to get a head start, and to allow for a rotation.

Valthun is now "forcing" me into honing and later mod'ing. This is such a great community! Too many have helped with knowledge dispersal for individual shout outs, but I do appreciate it as well!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1-4-19.Red.Injun.Boker.GroomingDept.Fig.640.JPG

The razor I've paid the most for is this Boker Red Injun which I purchased on eBay by bidding against other motivated fans. Some go for prices above my pocketbook. I've seen a very few sell for less than I paid. So, even though I consider it expensive I believe I got a pretty good deal.

Does it shave better than the numerous razors I paid $10 - $20 for? No, not at all better. As you can tell from the photo I use it just like I use my other razors and take care of it the same not taking any special pains to keep it shiny and polished. In real life it looks considerably better than it does in this photograph I think.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom