What's new

Most efficient yet mild razor

What would you say is the most efficient (gunning for efficiency, not necessarily aggressiveness) yet mild (smooth, comfortable, non-irritating, etc.) razor that you have ever tried?

From my modest collection, I would say it is the Fatip Piccolo Originale (OC)

If for you it happens to be a razor/blade combo, I’d love to hear about it too!

Happy shaves and stay safe everybody!

I really like the Merkur 34c. Boring, I know, but it really does the job for me with minimal irritation. I got one recently and it does live up to the hype.

I've heard the 37c slant is a mild razor too with maximum efficiency with its slicing action. Mine is still on its way so I can't speak from experience just yet. But it's not supposed to be terribly aggressive even if it looks like it might be.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
What would you say is the most efficient (gunning for efficiency, not necessarily aggressiveness) yet mild (smooth, comfortable, non-irritating, etc.) razor that you have ever tried?

Fatip OC, mines a Grande, beaten only by my GEM Bullet Tip and MMOC, and even then it competes very well with them.

M

member 119848

Timeless bronze SB.
It´s butter smooth...which is perfect for everyday, but still has a good efficiency with some blade feel.
It has a very narrow blade gap, but the efficiency comes from the blade exposure.
I had it, sold it, but will certainly buy it again.

I really like the Merkur 34c. Boring, I know, but it really does the job for me with minimal irritation. I got one recently and it does live up to the hype.

I've heard the 37c slant is a mild razor too with maximum efficiency with its slicing action. Mine is still on its way so I can't speak from experience just yet. But it's not supposed to be terribly aggressive even if it looks like it might be.
I have the Merkur 39c and it is the smoothest razor I own and still has plenty of efficiency. 37c is the same razor with a 3 inch handle and 39c has a 4inch handle.

Thank you all for your replies! Vintage razors are looking more and more to me like the dark side of the force... "resistance is futile" (wait, isn't that from Star Trek? Nervermind!)

Might have to give in eventually...

If you can afford it,ATT M2. it is very mild, yet 2 passes plus touch is call I need. Also, it is safe enough to go ATG which I occasionally do. Very comfortable shave with GSB

That is a very interesting recommendation! I have an ATT H2 in Aluminum that I like very much. Trying an M2 plate should not break the bank... Thanks for the tip!

Agree completely! I like my Merkur 34C very much, boring or not! I even have two (a long time ago, an order I placed got duplicated by mistake... I decided to keep the second 34C as backup, it was my daily driver back then). It's a tad milder than I'd like and I don't use it as much anymore, my current rotation consisting of a R41, an ATT H2 and a Fatip Piccolo. But whenever I decide to take it out for a spin, it surely does give very nice shaves. I especially like to use mine with Kai blades.

I don't own a slant yet... Maybe I need to address this pronto! My slant shortlist is currently limited to the 37C and the Fatip Storto, we'll see... Thanks for your recommendations, really appreciate them!

Agree completely! I like my Merkur 34C very much, boring or not! I even have two (a long time ago, an order I placed got duplicated by mistake... I decided to keep the second 34C as backup, it was my daily driver back then). It's a tad milder than I'd like and I don't use it as much anymore, my current rotation consisting of a R41, an ATT H2 and a Fatip Piccolo. But whenever I decide to take it out for a spin, it surely does give very nice shaves. I especially like to use mine with Kai blades.

I don't own a slant yet... Maybe I need to address this pronto! My slant shortlist is currently limited to the 37C and the Fatip Storto, we'll see... Thanks for your recommendations, really appreciate them!
Hey, you're welcome. The 37c looks just like they melted and twisted a Merkur 34c head. I'm sure it's more complicated than that. I just hope that's the way it shaves. I haven't heard of that Storto. I have avoided the Fatips because I heard they're pretty aggressive.

Fatip OC, mines a Grande, beaten only by my GEM Bullet Tip and MMOC, and even then it competes very well with them.

After a less than stellar first shave with my new Fatip Piccolo OC (oh, about a month old now? Maybe a little more...) I've come to the final & definitive conclusion that I screwed up that one big time, no two-ways about it! It was not the razor's fault... And many thanks to all the members who so kindly came to my assitance and helped me with their advice at the time.

Yesterday I had an impeccable shave with my Piccolo loaded with a Kai blade with 3 shaves on it. It was close, it was smooth, no tugging, no irritation, no redness, no discomfort whatsoever! I was really pressing my alum block hard against my face afterwards and nada! Really, nada! That I was very impressed is trully an understatement! What a shave! My R41 and ATT H2 will prolly give me a closer shave, but not close to that level of comfort by a country mile!

I am now seriously considering getting me a Grande OC (I mean, 24 bucks for such a great razor? It's practically a no-brainer!) and a Storto OC... Just waiting for this stupid virus to go away (and I'm sure it will very soon!)

You make a pretty bold statement and I gotta say it scares me a bit... Could it be that a Piccolo and a Grande is really all I need?

Happy shaves, many thanks for your recommendation and stay safe!

Gillette Tech has done a good job for me while staying mild. Also, the blade plays a big part as well. My Feather on first use is wildly different from its fourth use.

Another vintage razor... You guys are not helping me at all with this, lol!

Completely agree with your blade comment. I read a post in which a lot of people said that they use their blades only once and then toss them out... To each his own I guess but I feel I get my best shaves roughly around the half life of the blade (5-6 shaves for Kais, 3-4 shaves for most others)

Thank you for your tip!

Congratulations! My first shave with the FATIP Piccolo was a blood bath, but then it became my favourite DE shaver only beaten by some Henckels Rapide SE shavers.

Top Bottom