What's new

Most Complex Daily Shaving Ritual

I used to spray Witch Hazel on my face with a spray bottle after shaving. I felt kinda goofy doing that and now I feel that Witch Hazel is useless.
Yeah witch hazel is for kids with bug bites or leg rash. Not putting it on my face…too pretty for astringents. 🤣😅

Buy a Rex Ambassador, load it with a Feather blade, set it to level 6.5, your adventure awaits you padawon, may the bravery be with you. Cause, your gonna need it.

Maybe use some Arko soap too, something to cleanse your sinuses while your at it. Then after the shave, use that alum block, yes, you'll need it for sure!

Then, finish off the shave with Captains Choice aftershave. Bring the fire to your face 🔥 The burn let's you know your still alive, somehow, and then you smell good and feel good after.

That is, if you survived the Ambassador bringing your facial hair to justice for violating HOA height regulations.
I already own a Rex Ambassador Deluxe. Hardly ever use it, since I tend to favor SR shaves. Never felt the need to run it wide open with GSB, Perma Sharp blades…3 or 3.5 is like using autopilot.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "scuttle?"
If you look at the history, it was originally a device used in the days before people had hot running water. The scuttle served as a vessel to contain hot water for shaving. They would heat hot water on the stove and pour it into the scuttle. The brush was soaked in the water, the soap was put in the bowl above. When the brush was set down, it would be set on top of the scuttle to keep it warm.

Nowadays, the scuttle has been re-invented as a device for pampering rituals people use while shaving even though they already have hot running water.

1651259525468.png
1651259697965.png

Older design (L), Current design (R)

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "scuttle?"

A scuttle is similar to a tea kettle, except, that it has a lather bowl spot in the center. Here is my Captains Choice Starry Night scuttle...

proxy.php
proxy.php

As you can see, this one is a ceramic scuttle, and you can see the lather bowl spot in the center.

proxy.php
proxy.php

A good quality scuttle, should have a nice wide grip handle as you can see here, this allows you get get a good grip on it, which keeps the scuttle from slipping out of your hand. Additionally, notice the wide mouth opening on the front? This helps to make it easier to pour hot water inside, without making a mess, some scuttles have super tiny holes in the front.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Here is me pouring hot water into the scuttle for the first time, and also a picture of my first time building up some lather in it.

So, the purpose of a scuttle, is so that you can have hot lather. The hot water that you pour inside the scuttle, warms the lather up above it, its a heat transfer process basically. IMO, it really helps to transform your shave, when you can apply warm lather to your face.

And when you apply that warm lather with a quality soft hair badger brush, oh my gosh, can I just said, facial massage! So ya, its just one of those ways, that you can upgrade your shave.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Invent an automatic shaving machine.

1) Clean face using warm water spray mist
2) Partially dry face using gentle streams of compressed air
3) Measure & map facial surface using laser tomography
4) Automatically mix and warm lather
5) Apply lather using robotic arm
6) Insert fresh razor blade from automatic magazine
7) Shave using 6-axis computer controlled razor
8) Clean excess lather using warm water spray
9) Dry face using gentle streams of compressed air
10) Apply aftershave from pre-programmed selection
11) Facial massage using robotic arm
12) Automatically eject used blade and go through internal cleaning cycle

We have the technology!
That might take the fun out of shaving, A person would have to be strapped in a chair with robots whirling about.:lol:

So, the purpose of a scuttle, is so that you can have hot lather. The hot water that you pour inside the scuttle, warms the lather up above it, its a heat transfer process basically. IMO, it really helps to transform your shave, when you can apply warm lather to your face.
As I was saying, pampering rituals...

Note that you could get the same basic effect by floating a bowl in a sink of hot water! That's using hot running water from the tap. You don't have to buy anything more than what you already have.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Taking 2 pictures of my daily shave to put on the different threads, it takes about 2-3 minutes per day and about 30 minutes roaming the threads & forums I enjoy. So my photography is the most complex of my routine I suppose. (Retired........)
My actual shave can be done in about 5-7 minutes with a 2 pass with a few pickups, but prep and cleanup takes the bulk of time in my average shave of 20-25 minutes start to finish.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

As I was saying, pampering rituals...

Note that you could get the same basic effect by floating a bowl in a sink of hot water! That's using hot running water from the tap. You don't have to buy anything more than what you already have.

Hot running water from the tap? Well aint that a nice luxury to have! I don't get hot water from the tap, not since my 2nd hot water tank broke, and no money to replace it, especially with these bloated overinflated pricing during this climate market. So I have to heat up water over the stove, or in my tea kettle. I am also on a water conservation policy, so limited amounts may be used.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Taking 2 pictures of my daily shave to put on the different threads, it takes about 2-3 minutes per day and about 30 minutes roaming the threads & forums I enjoy. So my photography is the most complex of my routine I suppose. (Retired........)
My actual shave can be done in about 5-7 minutes with a 2 pass with a few pickups, but prep and cleanup takes the bulk of time in my average shave of 20-25 minutes start to finish.

I love photography as a bit of a hobby of mine, but I don't go all out with super expensive DSLR's and fancy super expensive lenses. I just use a Canon SX620HS pocket cam, it does well enough for me. But I hear ya, it does take time to line up a shot. And you can most certainly see where my pictures fail, when I am pressed for time. I took the worst SOTD photo that I ever have, on my last shave, because I was pressed for time, had to get it done, get shaved, and get the heck out. I had an 8-hour shift to do, and hardly no time to do it.

I finished around 6:30PM that day, and was so happy for the day to me over! lol But yet, photography is fun, but sometimes it can feel like a chore, if one is pressed for time. Sometimes I say screw it, here's your photo, your lucky to have it. LOL! :lol:

I found something exciting for my next shave! She took an amazing edge tonight with the synthetics followed by a ceramic finish. She‘s shave ready, easily shaving forearm and clipping chest hairs. Which forum section do I post pics of the shave tomorrow? I initially thought SR shave of the day, but maybe 🤔 not a true straight or maybe the SE shave of the day?
5CEB0373-BB7A-492A-957F-FA84F0E0BEC6.jpeg

I found something exciting for my next shave! She took an amazing edge tonight with the synthetics followed by a ceramic finish. She‘s shave ready, easily shaving forearm and clipping chest hairs. Which forum section do I post pics of the shave tomorrow? I initially thought SR shave of the day, but maybe 🤔 not a true straight or maybe the SE shave of the day? View attachment 1447821
I think we need a "Stunt of the Day" thread. You can go first. I hope we get pictures!
:biggrin:

I was going to shave with her about a week ago, but life derailed my shave plans. Adult play date at the local brewery with friends…priorities.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I was going to shave with her about a week ago, but life derailed my shave plans. Adult play date at the local brewery with friends…priorities.

Well, find the right person, and sometimes a date, just might involve an interesting day using a razor to shave them! So you still might have an interesting time testing out a razor, even if the story, is not B&B worthy. ;)

For me the ritual is what really counts. It helped me a brief respite during my wife’s terminal illness and continues to give me a measure of peace more than 5 years after her death.

I face lather and use a brush scuttle to keep my brush and lather warm between passes. The building of the lather, each pass, the relathering and the aftershave splash are what make my ritual special.

The variety is generally in my brush as I rotate between 8 and 10 brushes. All have different characteristics even when seemingly similar. I have 3 Shavemac 2 band silvertip knots of similar size but the handles make each different. My Omega Jade boar probably took the longest time to break in but now rewards with each use. A Manchurian knot feels different than my Simpson 3 band best and super knots. All are different, but any one of them can be my favorite on any given day.

Enjoy the ritual and the few minutes each day of me time.

For me the ritual is what really counts. It helped me a brief respite during my wife’s terminal illness and continues to give me a measure of peace more than 5 years after her death.

I face lather and use a brush scuttle to keep my brush and lather warm between passes. The building of the lather, each pass, the relathering and the aftershave splash are what make my ritual special.

The variety is generally in my brush as I rotate between 8 and 10 brushes. All have different characteristics even when seemingly similar. I have 3 Shavemac 2 band silvertip knots of similar size but the handles make each different. My Omega Jade boar probably took the longest time to break in but now rewards with each use. A Manchurian knot feels different than my Simpson 3 band best and super knots. All are different, but any one of them can be my favorite on any given day.

Enjoy the ritual and the few minutes each day of me time.
Sorry for your loss; good hearing wet shaving offered an escape and continues to offer a respite from the daily grind. I might try mixing up my kit a bit to reignite my shaves. Happy shaves!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I found something exciting for my next shave! She took an amazing edge tonight with the synthetics followed by a ceramic finish. She‘s shave ready, easily shaving forearm and clipping chest hairs. Which forum section do I post pics of the shave tomorrow? I initially thought SR shave of the day, but maybe 🤔 not a true straight or maybe the SE shave of the day? View attachment 1447821
A Swedish western ground kamisori with American point and Spanish heel. Definitely post in the SR shave of the day.

Top Bottom