What's new

More Stuble With DE Shaving

I think I've noticed that since switching to DE shaving my stubble is more apparent. It almost seems like when using the 6 blade cartridges... it would tug the hair out and cut below where it cuts with a DE razor. Is this a "thing" that others have noticed or is it just me?

Nope, i don't get a 5 o'clock shadow till around 10 now. BBS shave that lasts all day. Are you doing 3 passes?

I never used anything with six blades, but in my days of shaving with a two or three blade cartridge I always had a good bit of stubble left. If my forearm was itchy I would scratch it on my chin, which was reliably raspy, even right after a shave.

Now with DE razors I can't do that, as the shaves leave me too smooth. It took some months of practice to get there, but it certainly is possible.

Well......Its difficult to answer your question without knowing where you are on your foray into DEs. If you are still working on technique, then your shaves may not be as close as they were with carts. (This is very common.) In this instance keep learning and you will be amazed at the end resuts.

On the other hand, I have found that now that my shaves are far closer and cleaner than when I used carts, that when my stubble does grow back (takes a full 2 days longer) it is stiffer and more pronounced. It feels likes the old adage of "the hair cut most often grows the fastest' thing....but of course....ymmv .

Just went back to wet shaving. That's after a long bout of wet shaving (I still have two Mach 3 handles), to a long bout of beard/goatee, to a long bout of Series 7 and a short bout of Remington whirly thingies. Switched to a DE on the 31st. I can honestly say that after 26 years of that stuff, that my 5pm shadow is still shorter than after using the Remington whirly thingy. I can also say that in my experience, I have less red bumps and irritation (and I don't have sensitive skin). Heck it's 10pm and my stubble is still shorter than with the electric shaver....but that's just my experience :thumbup1:

I think I've noticed that since switching to DE shaving my stubble is more apparent. It almost seems like when using the 6 blade cartridges... it would tug the hair out and cut below where it cuts with a DE razor. Is this a "thing" that others have noticed or is it just me?

Don't feel alone. I see where you are coming from. DE shaving can be frustrating at times. Perhaps its your blade angle. I'm working on this as well.

The thought of six blades makes me cringe already!

Maybe it's your shaving angle, prep, or just expectations. Nobody will notice when you have some slight stubble, and not overdoing it is much better for your skin.

hi,

we all experienced the same issues when moving to a DE. It is a question of time, hence, a question of technique. DE, provided you have picked-up the right razor/blade combination - which is key at the beginning of the journey- will give the closest shaves ever.

Just keep going and learn how to attack rebel stubble ....you'll quickly come to the same conclusion, DE is great !

It could be possible that a 5 or 6 blade shave lasts longer, because certain skin layers have to grow back before the hair can take root? :lol:

I'm a man and I expect to have 5 o'clock shadow. Been that way since my high school days and I just assumed that was part of shaving. However, I have noticed that my shadow isn't quite as pronounced by the end of the work day as it was when I first started DE shaving. But it has taken a solid year of DE shaving to get to that point. I figure that is just part of how it progresses.

I am also in agreement with the above posters that it's a technique thing more likely. I get a great shave now with an M3, having had upwards of 8 years of daily practice on the grip and angles. Muscle memory guides me through it. I am not there with ym DE, but I just started DE shaving less than a month ago.

One of the main things I noticed as I pondered why is that I was very cautious and hence slow with the DE (reading about everyone's painful mishaps on here will inspire healthy caution). Moving that blade across my face faster was one of the main things I learned improved quality of my DE shave. YMMV (as always).

I agree that further developing your technique will reduce the amount of visible stubble. You read people mentioning "baby-butt smooth" shaves; for a while I thought it was a myth, and it took me more than a year of DE shaving to find out for myself that it really does exist (keep in mind that I don't shave every day). I still don't achieve it every time.

However, I highly suspect that, were I to use a good lather and brush and complete a careful and proper multi-pass shave with my Mach3, I could achieve the same results, and possibly more consistently. But that's not why I switched away from cartridge shaving. I switched because I hated paying an arm and a leg for replacement pieces of plastic crap. The price of cartridges made me push each one much further than a person should, and I'm simply not going back to that insanity.

Since switching to DE wet shaving, I think I have less stubble on the top half of my face and about the same amount on my neck/jawline as when I shaved with carts. I'm only 2.5 months in, so I'm still working on technique. I would also say that shaving closer on my neck has always resulted in bumps, irritation, and discomfort regardless of the shaving method, so I just don't try to shave that close there.

But the SHAVES! I always hated shaving before with carts or electric razors. Now with DE, brush, and cream/soap, I look forward to my shave everyday! I thoroughly enjoy shaving now.

I get much less stubble with DE and SE razors. I am not sure why you would get more. Perhaps you need a more aggressive razor, or you are not using the optimum angle?

I'm going to go against the grain (no pun intended) with what everyone here has said.

What you are experiencing is normal. When shaving with a DE single blade the hair is cut clean and straight across at the skin level. The hair is showing its full diameter in your skin. When shaving with a multiblade cartridge the first blade or two are pulling th hair out slightly and then cutting the hair at a slight angle. After the blade passes by the hair goes back slightly under the skin and has a slightly smaller diameter. This makes the hair finer and show less against your skin.

Top Bottom