What's new

Moon Mission Techmatic Tribute!

I was saving this unopened Techmatic for my SpaceX one-week flight around the moon with Elon Musk (still waiting for my invite).
But after reading all this, I may have to just crack it open and try it!!!

View attachment 1000138
I see you have the introductory packaging that the system was launched with in 1965, so yours should be a very early model from 1965 or perhaps '66.
The cartridge will not be of the adjustable type. That wasn't introduced until 1967. Still, the band should provide excellent shaves, even after all of these years, assuming it has been stored in favourable climatic conditions.
I bought just such an N.O.S. razor and cartridge and the shave was great, as new. Still have another one, unopened.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Seventh shave down with the Gillette Techmatic. Four passes today using Nivea Sensitive Cream. A little bit more sting with the Alum Block than usual but I did do an extra pass. The Shave is excellent, I don’t mind the extra bit of sting with the Alum Block when the Shave finishes up as good as it did. I’m still baffled why these razors didn’t take off. I am really enjoying the experience of using this piece of history. Glad that I signed up.

They really are a fun change of pace … Always very curious to advance that lever; watch the blade coil ease on by ...

Tomorrow's the big day!

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I was saving this unopened Techmatic for my SpaceX one-week flight around the moon with Elon Musk (still waiting for my invite).

But after reading all this, I may have to just crack it open and try it!!!

View attachment 1000138

$2.95! That's a lot of money! :302:

I still have a Schick NOS like that, but did tear open a Techmatic package with no regrets ... they have little value, except to us: those who go (shave) where no man has gone before ... wait, wait. :a39: That's Kirk.

AA

I did my 4th or 5th shave on the same blade section I've been using and it's still going strong. Used some Stirling soap and synthetic brush this time.

Recently, I watched a new documentary on YT by SciShow, "Was the Apollo Program a Bad Idea?". Very interesting look at the circumstances surrounding the program and some of the difficulties of it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I did my 4th or 5th shave on the same blade section I've been using and it's still going strong. Used some Stirling soap and synthetic brush this time.

Recently, I watched a new documentary on YT by SciShow, "Was the Apollo Program a Bad Idea?". Very interesting look at the circumstances surrounding the program and some of the difficulties of it.

Agree; I'm getting about 5 shaves to a blade section. Not bad considering it's age!

And always going to be an advocate for human achievement. Wish we could get on to Mars; we are one good rock hit away from extinction.

Big day today, the landing! Been following on the Apollo 11 in real time website ....

AA

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I had a fine shave with the newly opened Adjustable Band again. Today's the day of the landing, at least in EDT ... I'm still sporting the Moon Watch, just have to remember to wind it. Good excuse to turn it over ..

IMG_9318.JPG

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I had a fine shave with the newly opened Adjustable Band again. Today's the day of the landing, at least in EDT ... I'm still sporting the Moon Watch, just have to remember to wind it. Good excuse to turn it over ..

View attachment 1000525

Wow. Omega Speedmaster! I've seen Gene Cernan's a couple times ... Admit I want one. Will have to be happy with space-certified G-Shock - a very humble runner&up prize!

Planning to watch the real-time landing later.

AA

I collected my Schick Lady Eversharp Band Razor :rolleyes: from the Post Office today, just in time to celebrate the Moon Landing.

proxy.php

proxy.php

There was a little bit of oxidation on the chrome handle, I wound the band for a fresh blade. I had a perfectly adequate shave, not as close around the nose and chin. But I didn't want to push it the first time.

I also have a Gillette Techmatic head, but my handles are in storage.

proxy.php

Worse case scenario, I would have been using this today...

Last edited:
I collected my Schick Lady Eversharp Band Razor :rolleyes: from the Post Office today, just in time to celebrate the Moon Landing.

proxy.php

proxy.php

There was a little bit of oxidation on the chrome handle, I wound the band for a fresh blade. I had a perfectly adequate shave, not as close around the nose and chin. But I didn't want to push it the first time.

I also have a Gillette Techmatic head, but my handles are storage.

proxy.php

Worse case scenario, I would have been using this today...
The Schick "Lady Eversharp" is perfect for shaving your legs. Just ask Joe Namath!

The Schick "Lady Eversharp" is perfect for shaving your legs. Just ask Joe Namath!
Trying to find an unopened band razor not in an auction made it quite difficult to source in time for the 20th. Ten years ago they were giving them away. I can confirm that the Lady Eversharp works well on the face as well...

Gawd, that was exciting! I'll never forget how tense it was when Armstrong took the helm to land the Eagle himself, the relief and exuberance when we heard "Tranqulity Base here, Houston, the Eagle has landed." And then, when Armstrong's stepped off the ladder we were all hysterical with joy.
That said, no Techmatic for me.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Trying to find an unopened band razor not in an auction made it quite difficult to source in time for the 20th. Ten years ago they were giving them away. I can confirm that the Lady Eversharp works well on the face as well...

Yes, it will!

Used Techmatic, Williams soap, and Avon Excalibur/Spirit of St.Louis ... Good combo for the day.

AA

They're opening the hatch of the lunar module right now!
I mean...fifty years ago at this time.

Now Neil is on the porch, it's so exiting!

He's at the foot of the ladder...

Cronkite is now announcing Armstrong "on the moon." Repeat: Neil Armstrong is on the moon!

Neil is saying something, but Cronkite can't make it out. Noisy transmission....

Cronkite is advised Neil said: "One small step for man. One giant leap for Mankind."

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
They're opening the hatch of the lunar module right now!
I mean...fifty years ago at this time.

Now Neil is on the porch, it's so exiting!

He's at the foot of the ladder...

Cronkite is now announcing Armstrong "on the moon." Repeat: Neil Armstrong is on the moon!

Neil is saying something, but Cronkite can't make it out. Noisy transmission....

Cronkite is advised Neil said: "One small step for man. One giant leap for Mankind."

Roger that.

I ran out the stars and stripes, when they did.

Neighbors probably think I'm stuck on the fourth of July ...

AA

Agree; I'm getting about 5 shaves to a blade section. Not bad considering it's age!

And always going to be an advocate for human achievement. Wish we could get on to Mars; we are one good rock hit away from extinction.

Big day today, the landing! Been following on the Apollo 11 in real time website ....

AA
Agreed. It's worth checking out, I think you will find the conclusion agreeable.

Unfortunately I worked all day so I couldn't watch in "real time". Might check it out tonight before I fall asleep though.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
All right! Congratulations to the 3 (Apollo 11 crew), the 400,000 (the people who made it happen) and to the intrepid souls who took part in the Moon Mission Techmatic Tribute! :a17::a14: :a20:

We showed the shaving world we did not fear the unknown, and perhaps poor reputation of Techmatic - and we priced them wrong! It shaves great.

Though most will return to Earth - I mean, regular DE shaving, I'm going to finish out this band-cart, and maybe another. In the future, Techmatic will be my travel razor if choice. TSA can't take it away!

Hope you all enjoyed, and thanks for coming along.

AA :punk:

...Congratulations to the...intrepid souls who took part in the Moon Mission Techmatic Tribute...
Though most will return to Earth - I mean, regular DE shaving, I'm going to finish out this band-cart, and maybe another. In the future, Techmatic will be my travel razor if choice. TSA can't take it away
Hope you all enjoyed, and thanks for coming along...
Wait! We haven't splashed down yet...three days to go.
Then there's the three weeks of quarantine.
Hope you all have enough bands left in your cartridges for that, lest we alight from the Airstream looking like cave-men...and nobody wants to see that headline: "First cave-men on the Moon!" Might make for a good GEICO commercial, though.
ps. I shouldn't draw any conclusions about the T.S.A. if I were you. They are a law unto themselves!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Wait! We haven't splashed down yet...three days to go.
Then there's the three weeks of quarantine.
Hope you all have enough bands left in your cartridges for that, lest we alight from the Airstream looking like cave-men...and nobody wants to see that headline: "First cave-men on the Moon!" Might make for a good GEICO commercial, though.
ps. I shouldn't draw any conclusions about the T.S.A. if I were you. They are a law unto themselves!

Right again! And it appears, on the way home, is when they actually broke out the Techmatics...

AA

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Not sure I'll make it through quarantine, but had planned on getting at least to splashdown.

Top Bottom