What's new

Interesting shave today, Gillette Techmatic.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
FDBD497B-A00B-4419-B79D-FDF58B4EE716.jpeg 54DEA8E5-F71C-4231-A811-5F8E44C09141.jpeg 68F2C6F1-BDDE-4680-93F2-1FD5FFD17854.jpeg 11708789-BF5A-4C8F-99A8-354CF5FA79FD.jpeg
Today was a very interesting shave. For the first time I used a Gillette Techmatic Razor. I have never used this type of razor before. It has a band style cartridge type arrangement as a blade. You wind on the lever to advance the blade to the next number on the dial and it actually counts down. In my razors case it was from 5 down to 4. I have signed up for Ambassador @Ad Astra’s Moon Mission Tribute Shave and thought that I should try the razor before the actual week of Tribute shaves to coincide with the 50 years since the moon landing. The Techmatic is the razor that the Astronauts took into space all those years ago. I used my trusty Wilkinson Sword brush and Proraso White soap. The razor weighs only 20 grams on my scales and is very light. The first pass I was using too much pressure as the razor seemed to bump and jump over my cheeks. The razor is adjustable, the first pass was on the lowest setting, I then adjusted the dial to the midway point for the remaining two passes. The last two passes went reasonably well. The funny thing is, is felt like there was no stubble being removed while I was shaving but in the end, I finished up with a pretty good shave. I did do a few touch ups after the third pass. There was very little sting from the Alum Block and I only had one minor weeper on my chin, (operator error). Surprisingly I am reasonably impressed with this razor. It is touted as the worst razor that Gillette ever produced. I only have one shave under my belt but I am actually looking forward to tomorrow’s shave with this piece of history. Has anyone else out there in The Great Southern Land had an experience either good or bad with the Gillette Techmatic?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
AB38231A-5C2A-4AA0-A07A-E94ED7A3BD9A.jpeg C504CD16-31AD-4231-8306-2CD7AF33AB7A.jpeg 4FD340C9-46E0-469E-94A5-9A5C3EC0F47A.jpeg
Well Friday 26th of July brings this Mission to an end. After using the Gillette Techmatic since the 13th of July and using it daily I can honestly say that it definitely IS NOT the worst razor ever made. I did draw blood a few times but that was operator error. I finished today’s shave using a brushless cream by L’Oréal. Never used a brushless cream before. Interesting way of applying the cream with your fingers. Had more on my hands than my face. I would definitely use this razor again. I do have 2 spare bands but I will put the razor away for another day. I don’t think I will be here in 50 years time to use it for the 100 years moon landing celebration. I also found that the shaving cream clogged up the razor whereas shaving soap did not. Hopefully you can see the cream and whiskers stuck at each end of the razor band. Honestly, if you can get your hands on a Gillette Techmatic, give it a go. You might be surprised.

Thanks for posting. I haven't used any SE razors, so this is definitely on my list. I want to try the Schick adjustable with the round dial as well.

Top Bottom