What's new

Moon Mission Techmatic Tribute!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Still going with my Techmatic, will be using it until the weekend. I am still getting good shaves out of the Techmatic but the last 2 days I have needed the Styptic Pencil. Not paying attention has cost me. Not blaming the razor, just the fool behind the tool. On Friday I am going to try brush less cream just for once. That might be interesting.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Still going with my Techmatic, will be using it until the weekend. I am still getting good shaves out of the Techmatic but the last 2 days I have needed the Styptic Pencil. Not paying attention has cost me. Not blaming the razor, just the fool behind the tool. On Friday I am going to try brush less cream just for once. That might be interesting.

Brave indeed! They had washcloths; the only thing I can think is that they would shave and wipe … anyways.

I'm going to finish this band-cart, which means four more shaves.

A good protective soap, such as Haslingers or M&M, really helps.

AA

Splash-down was at 1:20pm and our Commander remains silent on the historic completion of this mission?
Perhaps he's too busy organising his shaving-den!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
One last shave with the Techmatic today - I will freely admit it turned out to be not nearly as bad as I (mis)remembered. I've some leftover nos bands that I'll have to decide whether to keep ...

Thanks to the Mission Commander & others of the crew for a fun experience.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Well, shoot! I started last month, and will fly Techmatic until the band runs out!

We've proved the system - chosen by astronauts - works as well as the mighty Saturn V and LEM did!

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
More proof that the Techmatic and all the other systems worked as designed ...

proxy.php

Mission Commander, CSM and LM Pilots look reasonably well-shaved - don't know about that mustache on Mike ...

@razorboi @garyg

AA

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
2FE315E4-2F70-4D0C-95A1-386B7BFC5868.jpeg FE4D16F8-2D7B-4FC6-A7E0-AA5BDF50D559.jpeg F9EACB9F-B5A1-488C-8120-2F2EF51CE20F.jpeg
Last shave with the Techmatic here in Australia for a little while. I broke out the brushless Shaving Cream from L’Oréal. Cedar wood Essential Oil. It’s actually a shaving cream for shaping your beard. I used it for the whole face shave. I liked the smell of the cream but I have not used a brushless cream before and it is a little different using your fingers to apply the cream. As Launch Commander @Ad Astra mentioned before when I was going to use it, it clogged up the razor. Hopefully the photo of the Techmatic will show the whiskers and the cream still stuck under the band at each end of the razor. When I used just shaving soap there was no clogging at all. I am glad I used this razor, it certainly IS NOT the worst razor ever produced.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
View attachment 1002157 View attachment 1002158 View attachment 1002159
Last shave with the Techmatic here in Australia for a little while. I broke out the brushless Shaving Cream from L’Oréal. Cedar wood Essential Oil. It’s actually a shaving cream for shaping your beard. I used it for the whole face shave. I liked the smell of the cream but I have not used a brushless cream before and it is a little different using your fingers to apply the cream. As Launch Commander @Ad Astra mentioned before when I was going to use it, it clogged up the razor. Hopefully the photo of the Techmatic will show the whiskers and the cream still stuck under the band at each end of the razor. When I used just shaving soap there was no clogging at all. I am glad I used this razor, it certainly IS NOT the worst razor ever produced.

Have never seen that L'Oreal ceaderwood cream ... It was fun, Andrew, and since your Techmatic is only on "2," looks like you have at least five more shaves for the future!

It's an excellent travel razor - think about it - 5x5 is 25 shaves just on one band! And there are "10" blade bands! And I was getting six shaves to a band-blade-section, anyways!

AA

Unless it's Mike Collins doing the shaving.
That bit is shown in the CNN "Apollo 11" movie, at about 1 hour 31 minutes in. It's shortly after the trans-Earth injection burn for the return trip.
You can see Collins' 'stache in the video clip and in this photo that @Ad Astra posted:
proxy.php

Also, the nose and hair on the guy to the left in the video looks more like Armstong's.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Unless it's Mike Collins doing the shaving.
That bit is shown in the CNN "Apollo 11" movie, at about 1 hour 31 minutes in. It's shortly after the trans-Earth injection burn for the return trip.
You can see Collins' 'stache in the video clip and in this photo that @Ad Astra posted:
proxy.php

Also, the nose and hair on the guy to the left in the video looks more like Armstong's.

Agree. Thought vid in #201 was actually Collins. Neil was definitely camera-shy.

AA

To-day is the 50th anniversary of the astronauts' release from quarantine...if anybody still cares.
Commander Astra...are you blowing up balloons and baking cup-cakes for this event?
Anyway, the crew was sequestered at the Lunar Receiving Laboratory at Johnson Space Center with a large group of white mice. The colony was monitored for signs of pathogen infection. Fortunately none occurred.
Their room had exercise equipment, a ping-pong table, a television set and a telephone. The quarantine became "oppressive" and mentally stressful. Less than a week in, Collins was recorded as saying "I want out!" Ironically, he remembers passing the time by reading John Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men."
The astronauts were finally released on this day in 1969 and they went on a world-wide goodwill tour.
Most of you have already decommissioned your Techmatics and returned them to your shaving "museums," but I for one, will continue to maintain mine in active rotation, as I am very fond of the performance of this design.
ps. Armstrong celebrated his birthday in quarantine on Aug. 5th. See pics. Note the non-crew members in the room with them. How is that a quarantine?
armstrong1.jpg
armstrong2.jpg
armstrong3.jpg

The Techmatic was my first razor.
My brother used to sneak a go of it when I was not around, and leave it clogged with soap and bristles. He always denied it was him.The thing was a night mare to clean by the time I found it dried out with this cement like mix in it. Pissed me off no end.
I didn't have much to shave in those days and the blade would stay on the same section for a fortnight. When I moved it onto a fresh section of blade he didn't bother to check the counter on it, and took gung-ho swipes across his face with the new edge in place, thinking the old blunt blade was still in position. He would come downstairs after his shave, face covered in pieces of cigarette paper where he had cut himself, moaning his head off. For someone that didn't use my razor he sure did look a mess.
Not the best of razors in my opinion, the blade was too flappy for my inexperienced shaving technique in those days.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
While it turned out a lot better than my memories, I have too many other razors to use the Techmatic on anything approaching a regular basis. I hope to use it again sometime, before the 100th anniversary anyway

Ad Astra

The Instigator
To-day is the 50th anniversary of the astronauts' release from quarantine...if anybody still cares.
Commander Astra...are you blowing up balloons and baking cup-cakes for this event?
Anyway, the crew was sequestered at the Lunar Receiving Laboratory at Johnson Space Center with a large group of white mice. The colony was monitored for signs of pathogen infection. Fortunately none occurred.
Their room had exercise equipment, a ping-pong table, a television set and a telephone. The quarantine became "oppressive" and mentally stressful. Less than a week in, Collins was recorded as saying "I want out!" Ironically, he remembers passing the time by reading John Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men."
The astronauts were finally released on this day in 1969 and they went on a world-wide goodwill tour.
Most of you have already decommissioned your Techmatics and returned them to your shaving "museums," but I for one, will continue to maintain mine in active rotation, as I am very fond of the performance of this design.
ps. Armstrong celebrated his birthday in quarantine on Aug. 5th. See pics. Note the non-crew members in the room with them. How is that a quarantine?
View attachment 1006627 View attachment 1006628 View attachment 1006629

I had a great time with Techmatic, and our niece's kids visited at about the same time, got to show them how the Saturn V staged with the model. The little one can even recite Kennedy's "We choose to go to the moon" speech in a Boston accent!

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
While it turned out a lot better than my memories, I have too many other razors to use the Techmatic on anything approaching a regular basis. I hope to use it again sometime, before the 100th anniversary anyway

Mine are destined for travel usage, though not lunar voyage ... Again!

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The Techmatic was my first razor.
My brother used to sneak a go of it when I was not around, and leave it clogged with soap and bristles. He always denied it was him.The thing was a night mare to clean by the time I found it dried out with this cement like mix in it. Pissed me off no end.
I didn't have much to shave in those days and the blade would stay on the same section for a fortnight. When I moved it onto a fresh section of blade he didn't bother to check the counter on it, and took gung-ho swipes across his face with the new edge in place, thinking the old blunt blade was still in position. He would come downstairs after his shave, face covered in pieces of cigarette paper where he had cut himself, moaning his head off. For someone that didn't use my razor he sure did look a mess.
Not the best of razors in my opinion, the blade was too flappy for my inexperienced shaving technique in those days.

Lot of people have unfond memories, try one again! Plenty on the bid site.

AA

While I am loathe to revive a thread this old, I happened upon it and just could not really resist. A few months back I managed to find a goodly supply of replacement carts for my old Techmatic. Luckily they were of the adjustable variety. I must say, I have really enjoyed the shaves from this oddball razor. With a band setting of 4 and paying attention to the angle it has given an average of 15 comfortable shaves per "blade" so far. The trick, as I have discovered, is to pay attention to the angle. By pay attention, I mean make it a religion with this razor. If you try to shave like you would with say....a TracII or your flare tip, you will find yourself bleeding. If one pays attention to this, it will be found that the razor gives an extremely close shave with little if any irritation. This has been done using Gillette Lemon Lime canned goo. I am sure it would be even better using a good cream or soap.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
While I am loathe to revive a thread this old, I happened upon it and just could not really resist. A few months back I managed to find a goodly supply of replacement carts for my old Techmatic. Luckily they were of the adjustable variety. I must say, I have really enjoyed the shaves from this oddball razor. With a band setting of 4 and paying attention to the angle it has given an average of 15 comfortable shaves per "blade" so far. The trick, as I have discovered, is to pay attention to the angle. By pay attention, I mean make it a religion with this razor. If you try to shave like you would with say....a TracII or your flare tip, you will find yourself bleeding. If one pays attention to this, it will be found that the razor gives an extremely close shave with little if any irritation. This has been done using Gillette Lemon Lime canned goo. I am sure it would be even better using a good cream or soap.

Great timing ... I'm just back from Kennedy Space Center; watched the Boeing Starliner launch. Anyways.

Have used Techmatic as a travel razor with success ... Not on a 240,000-mile trip, but. Think "the crew" on this mission helped to dispell the much-repeated mantra that Techmatic is lousy. We all liked the shaves!

AA

The Techmatic was my first razor. Then Trac II, Atra, Mach 3 etc....
Many neighbors were aerospace engineers and employees for Martin Marietta and all played roles in our space program. We had neighborhood parties for the launches 🚀
I have fond memories of them and their contributions to our country. Not too nostalgic about the Techmatic.
A postwar Tech is a much better shave.

Top Bottom