What's new

Month long soap (brush) journey - June '10

hah ok, I can see the kid's cereal comparison with regard to scent. I am interested in the Marlborough. I ordered the lavender stick with The Eagle, so I have something to look forward to.

On a sad note, Valobra cream soap with menthol and I will be parting ways. I have 3/4 of the block left over that I'll sample out and send to anyone interested. Probably 4 good samples. I think that I am having a reaction to the almond oil in it. Such a nice soap though, kinda sucks.

I compared the scent to Trix cereal in another thread. I agree with you, Bill. The Arlington does perform really well, I'm just not crazy about the scent either. Marlborough is somewhat the same, to me. I love the performance, but I do like the scent better than Arlington. I'm curious about the lavender.

Thanks, James - now I remember your post. Trix it is! I found a sample of Marlborough I forgot I had and it does smell pretty nice although almost too smoky for me (and I love smoky, woody scents a lot). Yep, perhaps the lavender is worth trying someday.

Thanks, James - now I remember your post. Trix it is! I found a sample of Marlborough I forgot I had and it does smell pretty nice although almost too smoky for me (and I love smoky, woody scents a lot). Yep, perhaps the lavender is worth trying someday.

Man, I love Arlington. You guys are ruining it for me!

I had my third shave with the Arlington today, this time trying it with face lathering. It gets better every time! Although some may not like the Trix-like overtones, I love it. Of course, my sugared cereal eating days aren't all that far behind me. Heck, I have cereal for dinner on a weekly basis. Seriously though, the Arlington is fantastic. I'm really enjoying the sort of fine tuning which I'm able to do as a result of using a single product consistently. It's helping a lot.

11 days in and dispite how great a performer the I'Colonia Mango is, today was tough to face the chocolatey sweet lather.

proxy.php

I had my third shave with the Arlington today, this time trying it with face lathering. It gets better every time! Although some may not like the Trix-like overtones, I love it. Of course, my sugared cereal eating days aren't all that far behind me. Heck, I have cereal for dinner on a weekly basis. Seriously though, the Arlington is fantastic. I'm really enjoying the sort of fine tuning which I'm able to do as a result of using a single product consistently. It's helping a lot.

Guybrush Threepwood?

Funny you mention Arlington smelling like Trix. I thought "fruit loops" when I first smelled it! I thought I was alone!

Ha, Josh I feel your pain man. My other soaps are singing sweet Siren songs to me. I find slamming the bathroom drawer quickly and shouting "NO, NO, NO!" helps :lol:

On a side note: I've been lathering up Cade in the shower (just before jumping out to shave) and the results have been fabulous. My lather is moister than ever ... I can't wait to try this with other soaps.

That's right...I'll say it. I had to give in and use another soap. I just couldn't let the sample of Lime-Bergamot from Benton Clay I got yesterday just sit there!

Ha, Josh I feel your pain man. My other soaps are singing sweet Siren songs to me. I find slamming the bathroom drawer quickly and shouting "NO, NO, NO!" helps :lol:

On a side note: I've been lathering up Cade in the shower (just before jumping out to shave) and the results have been fabulous. My lather is moister than ever ... I can't wait to try this with other soaps.

:lol::lol:
Nice, are you letting the lather sit for a few minutes, or is it just the extra water that's making better lather?

That's right...I'll say it. I had to give in and use another soap. I just couldn't let the sample of Lime-Bergamot from Benton Clay I got yesterday just sit there!

I'll pony up my confession too... I "conveniently" stayed at the GF's house during the week and put Monsaven and Omega to use!

My soap journey will likely end next week. The puck (or shall I say life saver) of Gold Dachs that has been my everyday soap since the end of April, was ripped to fragments this morning. The TBS synthetic brush that I brought along on a short trip just killed it (but gave me an awesome lather in the process). The rest of this soap is not long for this world.

Can you share your method for lathering in the shower? Is this making your lather in there, applying to your face, or what?

The D.R. Harris Arlington train continues to roll. Today:

Setup

• Arlington
  • Somerset Simpson Chubby 3
  • Aristocrat Junior / Super Iridium
  • Alt Innsbruk
  • Tabac EdC
Observations

1. OK, the scent of Arlington isn't that bad. Thoughts of what "clean" smells like helped. :001_rolle
  2. A Chubby 3 barely fits in a vintage shave mug
  3. Alt Innsbruk and Tabac: not a bad pairing! :001_cool:

Last edited:
:lol::lol:
Nice, are you letting the lather sit for a few minutes, or is it just the extra water that's making better lather?

No, not letting it sit for any longer. I pretty much lather up as the last step in the shower process, then jump out, towel off, and start shavin'. I think what is better the extremely humid/moist environment the lather is created in *shrug*

Can you share your method for lathering in the shower? Is this making your lather in there, applying to your face, or what?

Right, so basically I have my dish of soap and brush soaking in a mug of warm/hot water sitting on shelf I have right next to the bath/shower. As a last step of my shower I grab the soap dish and brush off the counter, flick out the brush in shower as needed, then load up the brush with soap whilst standing in the shower (note: I'm not standing directly under the stream of water while I'm loading the brush - more standing at the "other end" of the tub), and finally I proceed to face lather as I would at the sink. While I'm lathering, I usually stand with the water from the shower head hitting me on the back/shoulder area. If the lather needs to be a bit wetter I just dip the tips quickly under the shower head.

I have been known to lather up after washing my hair at the beginning of the shower and then let the lather soak in for the duration of the shower as a pre-shave. At the end of the shower I will rinse the lather off my face and out of the brush and then proceed to whip up another batch of lather at the sink for the shave. I don't do that so much anymore because it didn't really make that much difference and was an extra step. A little dab of Proraso Pre/Post does the same.

Last edited:
11 days in and dispite how great a performer the I'Colonia Mango is, today was tough to face the chocolatey sweet lather.

proxy.php

I'm there with you with the Cella. I did abstain from shaving yesterday, but I'm getting a little bored. I find myself browsing the soaps and being tempted. But so far I've been faithful. If I crash my Escalade into a fire hydrant and then a tree, you'll know the allure of Penhaligon's was too much for a mere mortal to resist.

Right, so basically I have my dish of soap and brush soaking in a mug of warm/hot water sitting on shelf I have right next to the bath/shower. As a last step of my shower I grab the soap dish and brush off the counter, flick out the brush in shower as needed, then load up the brush with soap whilst standing in the shower (note: I'm not standing directly under the stream of water while I'm loading the brush - more standing at the "other end" of the tub), and finally I proceed to face lather as I would at the sink. While I'm lathering, I usually stand with the water from the shower head hitting me on the back/shoulder area. If the lather needs to be a bit wetter I just dip the tips quickly under the shower head.

I just hope you don't get any requests for a video/pictoral demonstration

Today my Semogue 2009 behaved much better with the Cella and created far more lather. Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy with this improvement, but it kinda destroys my theory about certain types of brush and the way they work with soft soaps. Let me explain.

I thought some higher quality boar bristles wouldn't work extremely well with products like Cella, Monsavon or even Dovo creams (soft soaps). I got that impression because some B&Bs, myself included, weren't figuring out how could they perform in such a mediocre way comparing to harder bristles. Guess I was wrong.

This morning's shave proved that an extra minute lathering in the bowl would eventually produce a less foamy lather even if the starting point was not very promising. So, a bit more of effort seems to solve this problem.

But in any case, a brush like the Omega 11126 is still more effective.

Top Bottom