What's new

Month long soap (brush) journey - June '10

I found that with regular use, you could very easily use your index finger and push a dent in it. Maybe it absorbs water and swells up like MWF. I for one am very happy to have stuck with it until the end. As I work through all of the soaps I have, I want to narrow it down to the best performers, and just build a small, reliable rotation from there, picking up the odd cream here or there.

How will Gold Dachs do in the running for the narrowed rotation?

How will Gold Dachs do in the running for the narrowed rotation?

Very well, I think. It's reasonably priced, performs well, and since it's veggie, is not endangered. Valobra will also make the cut.

EDIT with update: My puck is now history. Time for a little rotation before jumping onto AoS Lavender.

Last edited:
Very well, I think. It's reasonably priced, performs well, and since it's veggie, is not endangered. Valobra will also make the cut.

EDIT with update: My puck is now history. Time for a little rotation before jumping onto AoS Lavender.

Bob, great choice! Valobra and Gold Gachs would likely make my top 5 as well... perhaps Musgo Real, SMN would also be in the list.

Hitting Stride...

proxy.php

Bob, great choice! Valobra and Gold Gachs would likely make my top 5 as well... perhaps Musgo Real, SMN would also be in the list.

I haven't tried SMN, but Musgo is a favorite. The finest DE shave I have had was with Musgo. I am anxious to see how much I like Trumpers Violet soap compared to the cream (my all time favorite).

A few days ago, I opened up the draw full of soap and pulled out the Cade again (and again and again and ...) and I was really longing for one of my other soaps (Pens English Fern and Tabac have been screaming the loudest). So I thought it would be hard to make it for the rest of the month. :001_unsur

Then this morning same start but for no apparent reason I had a truly exceptional shave. :001_cool:

I went through my usual prep and shave routine (hot shower and face lathering) but everything was just working perfectly. I normally enjoy my shave but this was so nice that I didn't want it to end. I took a little extra time cleaning up afterward just to prolong the shave time. This will certainly get me through the end of the month with Cade and the B&B LE 09... :thumbup:

A few days ago, I opened up the draw full of soap and pulled out the Cade again (and again and again and ...) and I was really longing for one of my other soaps (Pens English Fern and Tabac have been screaming the loudest). So I thought it would be hard to make it for the rest of the month. :001_unsur

Then this morning same start but for no apparent reason I had a truly exceptional shave. :001_cool:

I went through my usual prep and shave routine (hot shower and face lathering) but everything was just working perfectly. I normally enjoy my shave but this was so nice that I didn't want it to end. I took a little extra time cleaning up afterward just to prolong the shave time. This will certainly get me through the end of the month with Cade and the B&B LE 09... :thumbup:

Hi Mike, thanks for the encouraging post..Only seven days to go..What's everyone decided to shave with July 1st??

Best regards,

Julian

Edit 10:03 PM:
Oops!! I meant eight days to go....:blush:

Last edited:
The Valobra stick has been calling to me.

Arlington is very nice and I have been getting some awesome shaves, but I'm looking forward to using something else.

Well, I am still sticking with the Provence Sante. But my shaves this past week have not been that good. I am consistently getting a little bit of irritation after each shave. It doesn't bother me throughout the day but I have very small red bumps across my lower neck, normally a sign that I don't have the greatest lather. I wasn't getting this the first week and a half that I used this soap. I don't know what else has changed except that I am in a different location with a different type of water.

Does anyone who really loves Provence Sante have any tips on getting a superb lather out of it?

Thanks,

Nathan

Horrible shave with the I'Colonial Mango today.

I didn't load the brush enough and lather was lacking... completely user error. :thumbdown

Well it's the home stretch of this month long journey and I can't believe I actually used one soap this long.

The last few day's with the MWF have neen up and down. I have been experimenting with how much water I leave in the brush before I load. I think the original advice that Jeremy gave me here worked best. For the last week I will go back to that and see how it goes. :thumbup1:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Like Bob with the Gold Dachs my puck of Pre de Provence didn't make it until the end of the month (I had been using it exclusively since March 23rd until it expired on June 20th).

I have replaced it with a puck of DR Harris Arlington.
Out of respect for the commitment exhibited by all the participants in this thread, I will continue using the 56 until the end of the month. :biggrin:

Top Bottom