What's new

Mojito recipes

i've developed a taste for mojitos recently and with the wife growing mint leaves in the garden I thought now is as good a time as any to get my drink on.

so, do any of you have any decent mojito recipes or know of any sites that have a good variety of recipes? I went to a restaurant in town not long ago and had an awesome blood orange mojito that knocked my socks off. :thumbup1:

Great link, thanks.

Our mint is coming up now as well, been makin' Mohito's for a week already!

I have to admit that I cheat a bit: I quit using soda water and sugar, and now I just add Sprite to my muddled mint leaves and rum and add a splash of lime. Quick and easy.

oh lordy! I do love my Mohitos!

Excellent video. I personally use simple syrup instead of granulated sugar, but I'd be thrilled if I ordered a mojito at a bar and the barkeep made it like that.:thumbup1:

I use syrup in every drink except the mojito, where the sugar friction on the mint leaves is welcome. Regardless, it is a very good recipe. Be careful not to over-muddle!

I start with 2 tsp of sugar in the bottom of a lowball glass. Add several sprigs of mint and muddle gently. Pour in desired amount of rum and the juice of half a fresh sqeezed lime. Top with crushed ice, then top with club soda.

I like to muddle pieces of lime quite aggressively brown sugar and then gently muddle a little mint , the extract of lime oil is lovely. I also use a little syrup, the brown sugar adds a bit of caramel as well as abrasion, the acid from the lime should dissolve most of the sugar.

Personally there was a bit too much mint, ice and soda for my personal taste but each to his own it can be a great drink.

Last edited:
I've been experimenting with some variations and I've come up with a few spectacular ones.

First off, I have been using Cruzan Citrus rum (sometimes I add a bit of regular white rum, too) and it makes a WORLD of difference. Always use fresh lime juice.

As for the syrup, my wife made some habanero simple syrup recently and a bit of that in a mojito is absolute heaven. Just a hint of spiciness goes SO well with the mint and lime.

Now I need to go make one.

Not bruising the mint is important. Too much pressure and the released menthol oils in the mint become bitter on the tongue. Also, little pieces of mint in the mouth make for a poor mojito!

Other tips include cutting off the head and tail (the pointed parts) of the lime before muddling, as these are the most bitter parts of the lime's flesh and skin. And try using palm sugar, a soft sugar block made of coconut flesh and water that adds a lovely malty flavour to the drink, and can be used as a perfect one-for-one substitute for white or brown sugar. You can find it in the 'ethnic' aisle of your local supermarket. And it may just be me loving the sauce just a little too much, but I prefer to hold out on the soda and let the melting ice do the trick for me to dilute it.

Good drinking!

Top Bottom