What's new

Moisturizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of shaving moisturizer can close the pores after shaving as to prevent oils/sebum from being released? Does such a product exist?

I could be wrong but I do not believe that pores can open and close.

I could be wrong but I do not believe that pores can open and close.
Look at this,

Moisturizer does more than just what it’s called - moisturize.

It also sends a message to the receptors in your skin that decide how much oil needs to be produced! So in addition to moisturizer adding moisture to your skin (even if you don’t feel like it needs it), if you add moisturizer to it, it is a clean way to tell your skin to STOP producing more moisture.

This means that a person who would start with having oily skin could end up, after using moisturizer daily, having “normal” skin, because your oil production would be regulated by the moisture.

Would a moisturizer help out or not?

How can someone get rid of oily facial skin after shaving? Oily skin that develops several hours after shaving that is... a special kind of aftershave or moisturizer?

How could an aftershave or moisturizer be good for oily skin which is a byproduct of shaving? What can get rid of oily skin which is actually dehydrated as a result of shaving then?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Witch hazel is a mild cleanser with the 14% alcohol is what I suggest, this is what I used over the last 3 years. I just use a mister and you don't need a lot, wipe with a dry comfortable wash cloth after hand smearing works for myself. Witch Hazel has been helping folks with skin issues for over a Century. I buy mine at Walmart when shopping is good place to start.
Z-post shave witch hazel.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Witch hazel is a mild cleanser with the 14% alcohol is what I suggest, this is what I used over the last 3 years. I just use a mister and you don't need a lot, wipe with a dry comfortable wash cloth after hand smearing works for myself. Witch Hazel has been helping folks with skin issues for over a Century. I buy mine at Walmart when shopping is good place to start.
View attachment 1541565
Have some great shaves!
But what about aftershave or moisturizer? What will make witch hazel prevail over these two?

I always have Dickinson's on hand. Yellow or blue label, makes no difference. Whichever is cheaper. It's always my pre-aftershave splash, but since I usually shave late in the day or evenings, I often use it in place of aftershave. It's my go-to for insect bites, skin irritation/itching and minor cuts. I splash it on after buzzing my hair, and often on head and face after showering.

Moisturizer? Gross, I never touch the stuff.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
But what about aftershave or moisturizer? What will make witch hazel prevail over these two?
I use aftershave and moisturizer & you will have to experiment a little on your part to find that sweet spot that your happy with. You might not need aftershave with witch hazel but witch hazel has a mild pungent scent that dissipates quickly.
I use witch hazel to mellow out some of my strong scented after shaves because my wife might not like the scent but I do. 1 AS :3 parts witch hazel works a lot of the time for my self and wife does not complain.
CeraVe moisturizing lotion (scentless) is a great balm and have used many other balms and it is the best bang for your buck and does not conflict with scents (pea size dollop is a good starting point)
Z-CeraVe shave products .jpg

Have some great shaves!

I personally like what Nivea post shave balm does for me.

I don't use moisturizer on a daily basis because the best hydration for the skin comes from within, drinking plenty of water and keeping hydrated will beat any product, any day, any place.

That said, where I live we usually have cold dry winters and hot dry summers, so a bit extra helps and Nivea post shave balm on its various offerings is a pretty darn good product and is light so it doesn't have the tendency to leave a film after is applied, it acts almost as a alcohol based aftershave but the moisture is there.

Another product I always highly recommend is lucky tiger aftershave, no alcohol, but has plenty of skin food ingredients that help a lot after my face has had a rough day under the sun, grease, dust, etc. So there are my two cents.
0A0B800B-7D31-4D0E-AC59-871D91E84680.jpeg
E9E1F57A-26FB-457B-8F32-035C52BADF93.jpeg

I forgot to mention, just to point more towards your inquiry, ever since I use those 2 products on and off, and keep clean shaven, my skin doesn't suffer from being oily at all, hardly ever do I find blemishes directly involved with oily skin, that said, I’ve being shaving with DEs and straight razors and using aftershaves and moisturizers since high school, so its hard to point out something specific that keeps my skin from producing extra sebum/oils.

Take care of your mug, everyone is looking it at. Tough to call out what works best for you or others. Age, Skin Type, Condition and more. All I can suggest is go(try) for products that use real naturally good ingredients for the face, chemical moisturizes I personally would stay any from. Don't cheap out on your face. And you don't have spend a big bucks on over prices hyped up jacked up stuff made in France by nuns on Sunday. I was very luckily that my x was a cosmetologist. Learn a ton....BFX

Do you generally have oily skin or has that developed since using a particular kind of shave soap/cream? I've found some shave soaps can cause my skin to get quite greasy/oily. Changing to different soap has cured that problem for me.

Do you generally have oily skin or has that developed since using a particular kind of shave soap/cream? I've found some shave soaps can cause my skin to get quite greasy/oily. Changing to different soap has cured that problem for me.
I just have generally oily skin even when i never shave..., why?

Great advice above!!

I had to ‘experiment’ to find what works best. My approach depends on the season. During the cold months I often add CeraVe moisturizer to my routine. During the warm months I may substitute Lucky Tiger for my usual alcohol splash.

Why does my skin get all oily but ONLY when i shave? When i NEVER shave my skin feels dry, normal, and comfortable. Why is this? Why would this be the case then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom